Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Computer Fan Motor

Last year someone posted information regarding replacing the exhaust fan motor (stove) with a computer fan motor. I thought it was Steve R. or Harleyrider. I did a search without success...if anyone has this info I would appreciate you posting it again.
Thanks,

Weldon

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Someone did replace this noisy fan with a variable speed (rheostat?) much quieter fan. I also can't remember who posted that, Weldon. Hopefully we will get a response as I am also curious about this.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Weldon, I have on my list of things to do, a 2 speed fan.
You can install a quieter fan, a smaller fan, but the reason for the fan is to remove smoke and grease laden air, the position of the fan, close to the outside and close to the stove, with the associated 'echo' chamber of the little enclosed area, is going to be noisy IF you move enough air to be effective.
I think one is spinning their wheels if they try to change the law of physics. It's a balancing act of noise, versus CFM air removal.
A 2 speed fan will reduce the air noise if you only need a small venting session, when coking heavy smoke producing foods, kick er on high and endure.
Our next door neighbor won't even cook inside if they need a fan, a little overboard, but that's their choice I guess.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:59 AM   #4
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
I think this might be the one you are looking for -

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9165

Hank
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I've not opened up my vent hood but I'd bet that the fan used is similar to the bathroom exhaust fan meaning its the cheapest on the market. Thermaltake makes 12 VDC CPU cooling fans that have a greater than 70 CFM rating but are the quietest as well as the best built on the market. They come in all sizes from 60 mm up to 120mm and might work for you
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mels Musty Music

Hank
Hank, Thank you much..,this is exactly what I was thinking of.
Those fans in the Montana are entirely too loud.

Thanks again,

Weldon
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
So the 120mm fans fit pretty well. They run less than $10.00, looks like a good mod

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999151
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A 120mm computer case fan (muffin fan) is what I used in the bathroom of our 3295RK. It was very, very quiet. You could barely hear a hum with the water closet door closed and only if you stood very close to the door. It also pulled out more air than the original fan. We used it when showering. Be sure it's a 12v fan. All I did was remove the old fan, mount the new one, and splice to the same wires the old one used. I was able to use one existing hole and drilled two more to anchor the fan on three corners. You pretty much have to be up on the roof to mount the fan. You have to remove the screws in the surround in the water closet and drop the trim to access the fan from below, then finish from above.

In our 3295 the range hood fan used the same fan but I never got around to changing it out. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult.

The fan in our 3400 is pretty quiet and effective so I've not bothered to change it. That's both the bathroom fan and the range hood fan. Keystone went with a much quieter fan.

I recommend you get a fan with ball bearings. They're very quiet and last a very long time. The fan in the 3295 was there for almost 4 years including 3 1/2 of fulltiming. Lots of use with no problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Steve & Steve,
Thanks for the info on the fan. I plan on replacing both exhaust fans

Weldon
Old 12-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I might have to look into this idea - I have boxes full of fans along with controllers that run on 12v. And 12v sounds like a good way to leave the bathroom vent too in case of a need on the road or boondocking.

120's definitely move more air and make less noise than the smaller models spinning faster. There are many models to choose from.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mels Musty Music

Hank
Another addition to the Show and Tell page.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We got our 3400 in July. Looks like we were in between the quiet fan revolution at Keystone... We got the quiet bathroom fan, but they still were installing the modified jet turbines in the range hood. If Cheryl is standing or working in the kitchen with that fan on, you can forget trying to talk to (or even yell at) her.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ozzie, the OEM fan is 12v so it's a straight swap. Pretty easy to do. I did Montana Sky's while we were at the Goshen rally this Fall. It took maybe 20 minutes or so.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote