Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
timbuktu78
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3641
anyone in the florida area?

just wondering if anyone has been affected by dennis? i had to evacuate NAS Pensacola to get the heck out of the way of destruction. if anyone is in the area, let me know...i'm still trying to figure out where to go when i get back to p-cola because i'm fairly positive the rv park on base won't be up and running for a couple of weeks at least. also, i'm looking at buying a generator for the 5er, any advice or recommendations of what kind or where to buy one from? i'm thinking it's a good idea since florida is so prone to storms and power outages.

timbuktu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We are in Canada, so no, we were not affected, but we do have friends who live in Gulf Shores, AL who were evacuated.

We found ourselves in the position of being at home here in Ontario, using our satellite dish to watch CNN from Atlanta, who were reporting live from the Gulf Coast, and then relaying information on the storm track via cell phone to our friends on the road in MS. Isn't technology amazing?
Incidently, they headed initially for Columbus MS, then west into Arkansas. We hope this kept them out of harm's way.

Our best wishes, prayers and sympathy to all those who were affected by this storm.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have lived on the Gulf Coast since I was five. Been running or battening down ever since. You have my understanding. As to generators, I will give my opinion. If I were in your position and could get them, I would buy two of the Honda 2000 EU generators and connect them so you can run them in tandem or just one according to your need. The reason is (1) they are really quiet, (2) they are economical to run, (3) one person can lift each of them. Hope things go well for you...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
My daughter is in Gulfport FL. I've been on the interent and TV all day and all last night trying to see what is happening. She just moved there last July right before the 3 hurricanes last year. I think they just got wind and rain. Others may not be so lucky. Our prayers are with all affected.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:28 AM   #5
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
Tim...we've been researching this topic over the last few days....so far it looks like Honda is the way to go. We're going to hit Lowe's, Home Depot and Sears to do some price comparison over the next few days.
Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are in Banff, Alberta, but I just got an email from a friend in Montgomery, AL, who wrote that Dennis wasn't as bad as Ivan. They continued with their usual activities, got wind and rain. I hope it was easier on Pensacola as well.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I'm in the panhandle area (panama city area) I called the sunset lake resort in Defuniak Springs area and they were only cleaning up there. If you need a place try them....Contact:
Sunaet King Lake RV Resort
Tel: 850-892-7229
Click to Email : roger@sunsetking.com
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
A thumbs up to Sunset King in Defuniak Springs! We stayed there this past April and were impressed by how clean the entire area was...definitely a great place to stay...but probably a little too far away from Pensacola than what you were hoping for.
Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:56 AM   #9
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
My sister lives in Pensacola, right down Blue Angel from the base. They already have their electric back at home. However, my brother-in-law works at NAS in a building right on the water. They don't have electric yet and neither does Saufley Field where my sister works. If his building got any more damage he was going to be out of a job but since he still has one I guess the base didn't sustain that much damage. There is a KOA fairly close in Alabama, right across hwy 98 I believe. Maybe you could try there if you can't go back to NAS. Good luck!
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote