Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
Montana_3952

M.O.C. #3952
Hello from a hopeful owner

We're going to be upgrading our 1976 Wilderness in the next year and right now it looks like we'll be buying a Mountaineer - around 30' (to keep it around 10,000#) with 2 slide outs. DH really likes the steel roof trusses and aluminum floor joists. Someone did just tell me they use particle board instead of plywood for the flooring - don't know how much difference that makes. We're hitting the shows and dealers in the Buffalo area and having a lot of fun checking everything out.

I did read that the Montana's has had a suspension problem and that while Keystone fixes them, they haven't solved the problem causing this. Anyone know it this has happened on the Mountaineers too?

We're basically weekend campers right now although we're planning a camping trip to WDW next year and really looking forward to being able to "live" in our FW.

Montana_3952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Based on what we were told during a factory tour, the floor is "Structure Wood" made by Weyerhauser. They use it because it can be obtained in huge sheets that allows them to make a one piece floor. This eliminates joints in the floor, and is supposed to prevent squeaks. I think it is just as good if not better than a plywood floor.

The only suspension problems I know of were with Alko axles. Alko replaced some devective axles, but Kestone "fixed" that problem by switching to Dexter axles which seem to be heftier. (This is all relates to Montanas. Mountaineers are made in a different plant, but I expect the above holds true for them as well - take a look at the little rubber caps on the hubs, and see if it says Alko or Dexter).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard! I think you'll find the Mountaineer to be an excellent choice. We've been very impressed by those we've seen.

Another part of the suspension "problem" was the shackles wearing out after a lot of miles on the rig. Keystone has been taking care of these. In fact, we just had this taken care of on our Montana (30k miles) at the factory service center a couple of weeks ago. They replace the shackles with a better, hardened version so we're hopeful we won't have this problem again. Overall, we've been very pleased with our rig and the service it has given us and, particularly, with the way Keystone has stood behind it.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions you have. There are no dumb questions here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Welcome to the MOC and congratulations on what ever style that you choose, As far as us we are just tickled pink with our 3280RL which they don't make any more and have not had the problems that some have had. YET!!! We are full timers and are always looking for problems and I beleive that no matter what you choose you will find something that you want to change. Happy RVing.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you are looking for an RV that will not have some sort of problem, then my suggestion is not to buy one of any brand. That said, I think the entire industry needs to up grade its quality control. My experience on this forum has caused me to think that Keystone does a better job than most in the original manufacture and it out distances others in backing up products. The raise of concern about the material used in the floor of the Mountaineer sounds like a statement that would be made by a competing salesman lobbing verbal grenades at another brand.

Welcome to the Montana Owners Club Forum. Here you will hear the complaints as well as the accolades because this site is not controlled by the manufacturer. You will also find extraordinary creative synergy and problem solving skills. You are the one who will have to make the right choice for you. Happy hunting...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Happy hunting for your RV. Make sure you check out all the models and find the one that will best suit your intended lifestyle.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:45 AM   #7
WD40DNT

M.O.C. #3957
As a retired truck driver I have seen a lot of Montana fifth wheels going down the road and they look great. I have also seen a lot of them with air bubbles on top of the roofs. Has anyone found a fix for this? Has there been any factory recalls for this problem.
Doug & Carolyn
Benton Arkansas
Shopping for a new rig
WD40DNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #8
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Welcome to MOC. My wife and I love our Mountaineer Travel Trailer (2005 327RKS). Compared to other rigs we have owned this one is like a palace - quality is as different as night and day from others. Unlike some, we have had virtually no problems with our TT which we have had now almost a year. We have had little things like roof bubbles that were corrected within a day and the kitchen sink faucet needed to be tightened up but not much else. As for the shackles wearing out, well we have about 10000 to 15000 miles on the TT and no sign of wear on the shackles so far.

Once again, welcome.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see new members posting. Good luck in the search for new wheel estate. Whether 5th wheel or travel trailer, we have been impressed by Montana/Mountaineer. We have been totally satisfied with our Montana so far, and even though previously enjoyed, have not had problems others have experienced. Have fun looking and deciding.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
Montana_4148

M.O.C. #4148
My wife and I are looking at going full time in the next 2-3 yrs, We are looking and have a Montana that is at the top of the list. We have a 26 ft TT (Wildcat) pulled by a F250 diesel. Plan to up grade to F350 with new 5 th wheel(34 -36 footer. Input will be appreciated.
Montana_4148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Parrothead1,

It sounds to me that you have made good choices. I don't think you have to go to the F350 unless you just want to do so. Many, many of us use the 3/4 ton Fords, Chevys and Dodges with great success. But if you need an excuse to buy a new truck, that is as good a reason as any. Happy hunting...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Parrothead1! I agree with Stiles. Any of those diesels will do a good job for you as will some of the gas engines.

You may have already discovered we have another "Parrothead" member here who is quite active so please forgive if I sometimes mix up the two of you. My memory is getting older and, well, you know...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #13
Montana_4148

M.O.C. #4148
Have over 110k on present 250 and plan to keep it until we get ready to go fulltime, We then plan to purchase 5 th wheel and F350 so that we are starting with all new equip. Plan to purchase and use both for around 3 to 6 months prior to fulltiming.

Parrothead
Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #14
Montana_4148

M.O.C. #4148
Parrothead1 is the one from Texas! Maybe that will help. Transplant from Mississippi Gulf coast.