Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Found a welder (update)

Blessed be country folk. I asked in the community for a good welder with the emphasis on "good". I was given a name, called him, and he came out on Sunday afternoon after church services to scope out the job. He has experience in welding on trailers of all sorts and had, on hand, the spring bracket needed to do the job.

Now understand that whatever he would charge, I would have no choice but to pay. So when I asked what the estimated tab might be, to my relief, he said $50. Now all I have to do is get my dealer to pay for it. But if he doesn't, it is less than the $100 deductible on my extended warranty.

I wonder what a dealer would have charged and how long it would take to get the job done. This good ol' boy from the Cowboy Church is gonna come by tomorrow after work and do the deed.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Good news Stiles.

Glad to hear there are still some of those good ol' country folks around that don't mind giving people a fair deal.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
Dealer service department around here is $112 an hour. How many hours do you figure they could squeeze out of that job?

Have lots of refreshments on hand for that welder!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Stiles,

You can bet that it would cost you at least twice what he has quoted you. And you would have wondered what kind of job they had done. This way you will actually be able to watch him do the job.

Glad you found someone local.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Stiles, i bet the bracket he puts on will be thicker than what came off.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
He came, he welded, he charged $50 as promised. He was quick and efficient. He said that It was definitely not a problem with the factory weld. He said it looked like a hard blow sheared off the ears. For the life of me, I cannot remember any event that would have created that kind of force.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Have you ever noticed how you can really get the rear wheels in a bind on a tight backup? I cringe when I have to back up and turn at a 90 on uneven ground. I do it very slow and get the wheels back out of a bind asap, this situation really makes me uneasy. Great post n pics on this issue, I check mine OFTEN. Keep up the good work and yep theres still some good ole boys out there!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Thanks Stiles, Since our weather has taken a turn for the better I showed my husband your posts. Well he did a through inspection (we're leaving for Florida the 27th.) and guess what? We also have a broken/sheared bracked. We also have the Mor/Ryde RE system put on last March. So we're off to the Dealer this morning. We have an extended warranty and they said we'll be covered. Thanks again for the great pic's. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thanks stiles, sorry to hear about your issues. I'm also glad to hear it wasn't the fault of Lippert they have gotten a lot of negative comments as for their welds etc. I am begining to wonder if they aren't begining to get some bad steel. Oh well I agree about the country folks most time you will get good recomendations, because they know the area and the people. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote