Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2007, 02:28 AM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
On the topic of blowing out, and Winterizing a system with air alone, what can happen is blowing through a low spot in a line will move the water up enough to appear that it is all clear, then the water left settles in a low spot and freezes. Can happen, maybe it hasn't, but can.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I could not figure out how to properly winterize the 3400 so we decided to store it in Arizona or Flordia and ..what the heck... we will go along with it...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:30 AM   #23
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Dennis this is great info on winterizing. My approach is a little different from everyone else. I call the dealer and they come out and winterize (guarantee) no freezing problems! Next they check all caulking areas roof, windows, seams and if needed recaulk and finally when that is done I get a bill appox $50.00. Now with the roof, windows and all seams checked caulked and guaranteed along with the winterizing guarantee I have one less thing to worry about in the spring. Money and time well spent in my very humble opinion.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #24
05WAF350
Established Member

M.O.C. #6351
Comming from the trade as a pipefitter I have only one observation. Water freezes and expands. In a closed system such as the pump, you have a very good chance of damage when we have a hard freeze. When you have room for the expansion, plastic pipes that have been well drained, usually you have no chance of any damage. I can see when you probable take the unit to a storage area for the winter, and you are located in the cold climate states back North & East then I agree, take all precautions. If you have it at home you have other options.

Don
05WAF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I'm with Richfaa. I too will winterize my unit by taking it to Arizona for the winter. Only pink stuff for me will be in a foo foo drink........

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 AM   #26
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
This is pretty interesting. I will have to take a look at the black tank flush.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #27
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I also noticed on my 05 3400rl that after winterizing in the compartment with the water pump I had 2 lines that didn't have the pink stuff in them. I pumped pink out the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet bowl, outside shower, W & D lines and low drain lines, the one valve at hot water tank shut and water drained,
I see here I should blow out the black flush line to make sure. but I still wonder about the 2 lines without pink.
Allen in MT
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:55 AM   #28
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
After checking and watching all the lines taking the pink I never did see any pink go thru the 2 lines mentioned in above post. I did the air thu city hook up and blk water flush. There was only 1 valve to bypass water heater where my other monty had 3 valves,. maybe thi is why????
Allen
Old 12-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #29
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Running the AC in the stick house today - on the 2nd of December!!! We blow our water lines clear and drain the water tank. So glad we live South of I-20 and don't have to worry about pink fluid in our water lines!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #30
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I'll blow out the lines, but this thread indicates the pump may still be subject to damage. I assumed running the pump dry for a couple of minutes after draining the fresh water tank would evacuate all the water - am I wrong?
If I need to, how do I get the pink stuff into the pump? I have an older model TT, so I don't have the winterize controls I see posted with the new fifth wheels. Do I just put some pink stufff in the fresh water tank and then pump it until it comes out somewhere? Does it need to be straight strength or can it be diluted ?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #31
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Go to one of your rv supply stores and get a winterizing kit, simple to put in. It goes in the line from fresh tank to the pump usually just at the pump. then you just turn the valve and pump from the pink jug into and thru the pump.
I just got my used 05 3400rl so this is the 1st time winterizing it and I had a few questions. It's not a big deal once you know what to do and can be done quicker than it takes to vacume the floor.
I blow mine and then pump the pink just incase there are low spots
Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #32
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
ahhh - a modification kit!! Now I get it!! I really wasn't fond of putting enough antfreeze in the fresh tank to be able to pump it. I've heard it's hard to get the taste out + the cost. My pump's hard to get to (under a cabinet in the bathroom) and there's not much room in there, but it may be worth the trouble. We're like Steve and Brenda - South of I-20 (81 degrees yesterday - tied an all time record for Dec. 2), but we've also had some pretty good freezes. We usually do some camping during the winter and I've always just run an electric heater and/or furnace with cabinet doors open when a freeze was predicted. I thought I'd just shut her up completely this year - we'll be retired by end of Jan. and are looking forward to some extended RVin' in Apriil and May, so no winter camping this year.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote