Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2006, 02:26 AM   #1
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
Virginia I 64 - thru Clifton Forge & Covington

We are planning a trip from Richmond, VA to Southern IL. We have never traveled through the George Washington National Forest and have concerns about the inclines. Has anyone driven the I-64 route between Lexington, VA and the West VA line before?

2004 3575RL Country Blue
1994 Ford F350XLT turbo diesel 7.3 dually, 20k Hidden Hitch, Prodigy brake control, 5500 Onan
Hometown: Richmond, VA
e-mail BobandSheri@verizon.net

Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:29 AM   #2
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Hey Bob and Sheri,

We were there in May and pulled our 14,000+ pound Montana through the hills. Yes, there are some moderate grades but your outfit will more than enough to handle it. Once you are into WV, Charleston to Beckley is very steep and quite a pull. Past Beckley, there is a mountain called Sandstone that is very, very steep and bad.

It is a gorgeous drive and very scenic. You will be glad you did.
That's my neck of the woods, was born and raised in the coalfields of WV, Mingo County.
Take care,
tara

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob and Sheri, I emailed you but I misunderstood and thought you meant between the VA line and Lexington, KY. We've towed both stretches numerous times. Yes, there are some long grades in there but you shouldn't have a problem. They're very do-able for your Ford and Montana. In WV there are more grades, steeper and longer. Even those are do-able. If you did mean Lexington, KY, then you'll also take 64 north from Beckley to Charleston. Those are also do-able but the toll booths are a pain. On that stretch there are a couple of curves you'll want to slow down for but they're well marked in advance. As txkrumm said, there are some steep grades but it should not be a problem. I used to let the cruise maintain speed on those long grades but now I kick off the cruise and let it slow down and slurp a bit less diesel. Ours weighs about the same as txkrumm's -- 14,360. It is truly a beautiful drive. Enjoy.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote