Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Arts & Crafts
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #21
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I use to sew alot of my daughters clothing, and did alot of alterations for others. Now I dont do to much of it anymore. I always thought when I had more time I would get into quilting, but it always seems there is something else taking my time! I just need to get the machines and materials out and start!
Kathy

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:09 AM   #22
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If you've done a lot of sewing in the past, you probably have a good start on your stash, Kathy. That's what got me into quilting....the desire to preserve some of the fabrics I had sewn for my children by putting it into a quilt.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #23
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
What a terrific idea Judy, those clothes bring back many memories, I bet.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #24
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
They really do bring back memories, especially if the dress or shirt is made for a special occasion. It's a great way to memorialize someone or some event.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #25
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Judy, When my sister's husband passed on several years ago, one of her sons had wanted all of his shirts. She didn't know the REAL reason he wanted them until he presented her with a huge quilt made from all of his shirts! It was absolutely beautiful. She spent hours remembering the birthday or Christmas etc. in which he received the shirts (most of them she had gotten for him). I saw it last year when I visited her. Also, my mom used to make our Barbie doll clothes out of the scraps from our dresses. We thought that was great because Barbie and us had the same clothes!!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #26
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We lost a daughter several years ago. She was pregnant with our first grandchild, Daniel, now 9. It was great therapy for me to make him a quilt with blocks that were a very simple sailboat. The bodies of the sailboats were from the nursery that Sara had sewn for him, Sara's dresses, Daniel's baby clothes, etc. You get the idea. It's a very precious thing to me and I hope some day that he'll cherish it as much as I do. Daniel now has it in his possession.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #27
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Judy, that is a wonderful idea! I bet Daniel will really treasure the quilt, that is such a lovely way to remember the memories of a cherished love one.
Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #28
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I look at our quilts and can still remember the dresses my sister and I had when we were little. We were talking about one of the quilts the other day and I told the girls that is Grannie's bonnet I have. Opened up my cedar chest and showed them the bonnet - it is shades of Little House on the Prairie. My Grandmother made a comforter of all of my Father's army uniforms - wool. A really great quilt is a Friendship Quilt where the ladies sign their name on a block, embroidered the signature and then the blocks are pieced into a quilt. I have one that was made for my Mother when she left our hometown to move to California. Judy, I wish I could have done that for my nephews when my sister died but I was too far away to make it happen. I'm sure your grandson treasures that quilt. My daughters all treat the quilts as a healing thing. If you are sick, you get to cuddle up in "the quilt". Since I grew up with them just as an ordinary part of the bedding, I never thought of them in that way. I love them though. I will be taking pictures of ours for posterity and maybe I'll post some of the pictures.
Happy trails....................................
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #29
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
Wow! I had no idea quilting was so "memorable". I'll check out the Wal-Mart kit. This winter is going to be such a blast... no cold or snow... new friends... new projects to learn and work on! Thanks everyone!
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote