Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Window for 2955 RL

I need a new window for the bedroom slide on our 2955RL due to a recent hail storm. Waiting on the dealer to call now with price and amount of time needed to order and receive.

Have you had to replace one of these windows? Time needed to receive... cost?
Thanks!

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Can't help with the slide window, but just to inform you that we had to replace the main EXIT window in our 2955RL. The 'closing lever' came loose on a recent trip to Georgia and the window was shattered. We did not realize it until we stopped for the night. We made repairs until we could get home, then made far better repairs until we could get a window from the factory. It has now been replaced. Seems like it took several weeks to get the window from Keystone.

Our 'on road' repairs were cardboard cut out and attached to the screen, then covered with heavy plastic garbage bag. Our 'better repairs' were with plexiglass. With that 'better repair' we made a trip to the Rio Grande Valley in February.

We used an independent RV repair shop in Longview. They did a good job. Good luck on your replacement.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
there are a lot of places in the Indiana area that manufactures these windows, call keystone or montana to find out witch manufacture they use. I'am sure they can sell you one or give you the name of a supplier that carries them, Insalling one is not a very hard thing to do most of the windows have screws of 1/4 inch self tapping hex head screws the tricky part is a good seal around the outside of the window, you can use 1/4 inch round butyl tape to make a seal that should be avabile at any auto paint store. good luck, if you have any problems you can PM me. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
padredw,
Thanks....we had a similar situation years ago at Lake Mathis near Corpus Christi, TX. We were able to purchase plexi glass locally and make repairs. Guess we did a good job because when we traded for the next 5er the dealer made no comment about the repair.
Thanks again!

Glass Guy, My dealer never returned my call in regard to availability of the window ##*#*. I have called a local glass company and it appears they will be able to supply the needed window. Using the broken window as a pattern they will cut one to size.
I saw those screws you mentioned and it seems like a easy repair.
Thanks for your the suggestions!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
One thing to keep in mind that if they are going to use glass that it should be tempered not just sheet glass, or maybe plexi-glass would work good, the risk of using sheet glass is not worth the price difference in price. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #6
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I had to replace one of the small rear windows on my 2000 3255RL, it was leaking due to not being sealed properly. I cracked the window when I was cutting some of the sealer, thats all that holds these windows in the frame. Also the glass was sheet glass, not tempered. I was in Clearwater Fla. at the time.
I went to a glass shop, they cut the glass, like you said, used the old piece for pattern, got it done in one day. I would not deal with factory due to cost difference and time delay.
I feel you can repair it and probably better than some repairmen.
Good Luck
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
David I also almost had the same thing happen to my EXIT window. Traveling solo to a job app-on arrival I found that the window had come open - or was left open (my wife had closed the window this time?). Mine is just sprung and I will try to fix it this spring.

What was the cost of the window alone? Thanks See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
I will get that info, but do not have it readily at hand where I am typing.

One interesting thing I noted. The original "lever" which locked the window was configured so that you pushed down on it to release and open the window. We really believe that by pulling down the shades before that trip the lever was accidentally 'unlocked', permitting the window to swing open. On the new window the "lever" is configured so that you have to pull UP and out to unlock and open. Wonder if this may have happened enough to change the design. Anyway it is a good change, just too late for us.

I'll be back later with the cost figures.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
OK, here it is: The window and installation cost me $270.00 which includes sales tax of 8.5%
Old 04-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
I had to replace the large kitchen slide window on my 3685FL I called keystone at 1 574 535 2100 and they said they had the window but could not sell direct but they said that there was a window store just aroudn the corner from them and that they could pick it up from them (keystone) and ship it to me so that is what I did the glass company was Charger Enterprise at 1-574-262-2389 I hope this helps
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Keystone again went the extra mile. Good for them and thank you for posting the postive.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote