Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Montana_4949
Established Member

M.O.C. #4949
Northwest region

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like around the Oregon and Washington area Feb. through March. Also We are planning to go to Alaska for the summer months and need to know what the weather is like there. Thanks for any help.

Montana_4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Randy and Sally,
It depends on what side of the state you are going to in Washington. The Seattle area is usually 30's and rainy with fog and the eastern side around Spokane is usually teens to 30's and snow/ice during Feb and March. Last year we had our craziest weather I have seen over here, started to rain in December and never really quit. The snow was melted, ski resorts all closed down second week of Jan and temps pretty much stayed in the 30's. I wuld say try to hit Washington in April or later if you can, will have better weather in my opinion.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sally, we traveled to Alaska last summer and had unusually nice weather during our trip. We spent almost all of August in Alaska and rarely saw rain. The temps were mild and weather was beautful most of the time. We never used our winter coats, opting instead for a layered look. A good windbreaker with a hood or hat is a must, especially if you're going out on a boat. I wore gloves a couple of times. Most of the time I wore a light sweater or sweatshirt and was very comfortable. I'm not sure this weather was typical of Alaska. We heard reports of rain and mosquitoes and had fewer of both than we have in Alabama during the summer. There are more bugs in the early summer months. By the time we left Alaska, fall was setting in (late August) and the nghts were cooler. One morning the temp was 32' in British Columbia. The other extreme was near 80' in Alaska in the lower elevation. It's a great trip. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have. Adelmoll (Bill and Helen) are also heading to Alaska next summer. I hope you have a Milepost. It's a must.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:59 AM   #4
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Western Washington during the next 4 months will be WET!!! Not a downpoor but light to moderate rain. Now and than a sunny day. Temps are usually mid 30 to mid 40. If you don't have to be here I would stay away. April on much better. Right after New Years we are getting the h--l out of here. Have a great Alaska trip.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:46 AM   #5
Montana_4949
Established Member

M.O.C. #4949
I am a Nurse and am planning on doing some travel nurse assignments. We were wanting to get as close to Alaska as possible on our first assignment out. That is why we chose Washington. Is northern California any better on weather. We plan to leave the last week in Jan. Also what is your favorite part of Alaska
Old 11-27-2005, 05:49 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sally,
Far Northern California is going to be much like Oregon and Washington. I'm sure Don (Searchers) can tell you about the snow in that area. If you get down to the Redding area or even Sacramento, you won't have snow. More rain than Southern California but not bad. I've spent the last 6 or 7 winters in the North Bay/South Bay areas and it isn't bad as far as temps go. Along the coast in Northern California there is a lot of wind in the winter time. Have a great trip to Alaska, we plan on going in the next couple of years.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Sacramento area....."raindrops keep falling on my head....."
The Sacramento Valley sometimes gets tremendous amounts of rain and/or fog between November and March. Sometimes not. It's become anybody's guess anymore. I'd rather have the rain over fog anyday. Only a couple of RV Parks I'd recommend in the Sacramento valley also. Go further up into Northern California for decent parks.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Depends on what part of Oregon you are going through. Here in central Oregon we have snow now and probably will have through February unless it warms up in between storms. If you are across the mountains towards the west, it is WET.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Travel nursing in Alaska may not offer too many choices as the large cities are few. Anchorage and Fairbanks come to mind, maybe Skagway and Valdez. I enjoyed the coast, Homer, Seward, Skagway to name the best stops. If you work in one of the specialty areas, you will probably have to consider Anchorage and Fairbanks. Anchorage would be the better choice as it's closer to the coastline and equal distance to Denali. I'm not sure you can get to Alaska at the end of January. Everyone who wanted to get out of Alaska left by mid-September because the road is blocked by snow in the Yukon after that time.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #10
Montana_4949
Established Member

M.O.C. #4949
We are not planning to go to Alaska until June. We are just trying to decide where we want to go from Feb. to Mid May.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Randy and Sally
Since you are planning to be somewhere in the Northwest in May, you can come to the rally at Mt. Shasta and then take off for Alaska from there. We will even give you a "send off".
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Don't scare them away, Sue. That 'Happy Trails' song might just do it! Actually that's a very good suggestion and the song is great. It's perfect timing for attending the rally.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:37 PM   #13
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Sally,

Redding CA is at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley and would probably be as far north as you'd want to be during the January-March time frame in CA and not have to contend with snow, unless you're on the coast. The 100 mile section between Redding and the Southern OR border is beautiful country, but there aren't many RV parks open during that time of year. Redding has two major hospitals, quite a few RV parks and alot of places to shop.

If you decide to spend time in the area let us know and we'll show you around. Hope you can make the Spring National Rally too!

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #14
Montana_4949
Established Member

M.O.C. #4949
Thanks, I will let you know where we are going to be and if we have time we will definately be at the rally. I should know something by mid december.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #15
Dancyn
Established Member

M.O.C. #4937
SE Washington in Feb thru March is usually pretty decent. Normally in the 50s. Last year was a little wet and windy, but spring is showing through at that time.
Dancyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:15 AM   #16
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We are in southern Oregon near the CA border. The weather between here and Redding in CA can be tricky in the winter but there are several days and weeks when you can get through easily. We get very little snow on the ground here in our area, though this morning we can see the snow up in the hills. It gets very busy around here when the Siskiyou Summit (elevation 4300 ft - highest summit on I-5) is snow packed and or closed. If you are in our area and need assistance, we are in the phone book. All the state parks on the Oregon coast remain open all year and some of the best weather can be found in January - but not always. Brookings on the southern Coast is known as the banana belt but still gets lots of rain. Here in our part of southern Oregon our average rainfall is only 20 inches, but almost all of that comes between November and May. One thing for sure you have to expect anything this time of year.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote