Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #81
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyride View Post
In our state the posted height is roughly 3 to 4 inches lower than the actual height (according to the Motor Carriers Road Atlas 2020). Not sure why that is, maybe for winter driving (snow load). Why don't you check with the Montana DOT to see if they have the actual clearance height. I'm sure if they have had some problems at that location they would be up to date with the actual height. We were up there a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly they were capping some sections of that road then. My garage opening is 14 feet and it is level going into the garage. I verified the garage opening height and parked the 5th wheel under it and measured the difference then did the math.
Few years ago while still working part time I left a Penske rental with a big box truck marked 12'6" height. Going down the street and checking my gps to get my bearings I looked up just as I entered and underpass to see the sign that said 12'4". All I could do was cringe and hope. No crash. Don't know how much I cleared by but I've been told most signs are low to allow for future repaving.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #82
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I can’t believe we have over 80 posts about simple math. If the bridge is 13’6” and you are less than that you will fit. Not saying that I wouldn’t go slow and hold my breath though�� The only issue here is, are you positive about YOUR height. An accurate measurement of your rig is paramount!
Old 02-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #83
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I can’t believe we have over 80 posts about simple math. If the bridge is 13’6” and you are less than that you will fit. Not saying that I wouldn’t go slow and hold my breath though�� The only issue here is, are you positive about YOUR height. An accurate measurement of your rig is paramount!
Sorry this thread dissapoints you, however I started the discussion in terms of any possible options to lower the height just a bit. Sure sign says 13'6" I am 13'5" at the time of my measurement. I was hoping for some advice how to maybe shave another inch or fraction off. however I think this thread also brought a little more awareness and good discussion (I know I appreciate everyones input). But this is a subject everyone can relate too or will at some point.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #84
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
Bridges are measured at the lowest point so if it's arched just move to the center a little or wait until there is no oncoming traffic and drive in the center.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #85
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandBrenda View Post
Bridges are measured at the lowest point so if it's arched just move to the center a little or wait until there is no oncoming traffic and drive in the center.
That is the tricky part of this particular bridge it has an arched Facia however the understructure is the lowest point and lower than the facia arch.

Also keep in mind that many roads are higher in the middle to allow water to drain to the sides so even with an arch does not always suggest that is the highest point.

This seems to be the lesson of this bridge and I assume others.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #86
Oldharley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21684
well i wish i would have seen this post before i saw the Bridge yesterday. pulled over remeasured my rig, granted its a new horizon but im 13'7" i called the park and the what sounded like a teenage girl was trying to assure me that the bridge is taller than 13'6" but i asked her if she was going to replace the ac if she was wrong........nope. they were good about canceling. found a nice site in big fork
Oldharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #87
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Update:
We stayed at West Glacier RV park (on the other side of the railway Bridge going into Glacier NP 1st week of July 2020.
We are 13'4" hitched.
I had DW stand on the walkway on the right as I crept under the bridge.
We made it with inches to spare.
As far as the park goes...
Kinda plane. Its new. Takes a long time to grow trees. Very clean, well kept. Very friendly and helpful staff. Walking distance to WG village.
GNP is right there. When we were there Going to the sun road was closed at Logans pass due to snow. We took a drive up to the Canadian boarder. Very scenic. Also took a float trip.
Will definitely do this again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200727-202755_Maps.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	6895  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:56 PM   #88
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldharley View Post
well i wish i would have seen this post before i saw the Bridge yesterday. pulled over remeasured my rig, granted its a new horizon but im 13'7" i called the park and the what sounded like a teenage girl was trying to assure me that the bridge is taller than 13'6" but i asked her if she was going to replace the ac if she was wrong........nope. they were good about canceling. found a nice site in big fork
I spoke to the Management during the off season they assured me it was 13'6" with nothing to spare, they said they measured it 3 time while building the park. there is a way around about 30 miles however 10 miles is dirt however it is a wide dirt road.

I kinda chewed the park management out for not advising people of the bridge on their website, they should at least disclose this information.

Personally keystone should have kept the 5ers a few inches lower I know on my 3791RD we have headroom to spare
Old 07-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #89
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Update:
We stayed at West Glacier RV park (on the other side of the railway Bridge going into Glacier NP 1st week of July 2020.
We are 13'4" hitched.
I had DW stand on the walkway on the right as I crept under the bridge.
We made it with inches to spare.
As far as the park goes...
Kinda plane. Its new. Takes a long time to grow trees. Very clean, well kept. Very friendly and helpful staff. Walking distance to WG village.
GNP is right there. When we were there Going to the sun road was closed at Logans pass due to snow. We took a drive up to the Canadian boarder. Very scenic. Also took a float trip.
Will definitely do this again
And now you know you can keep your speed up going through.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #90
CruzinMooses
Established Member

M.O.C. #23995
here is an idea

As a truck driver with over 35 years and over 4 million miles of driving experience pulling 14 foot tall trailers. I have a couple of comments
1) Under paths/bridges are marked AT THEIR LOWEST POINT, I.E, on a curved bridge it will be at the lowest point of the curve where it it above road bed. The middle of the road normally has a ton of room. More then once in my over 4 million miles of driving I had to go thru the center of the road even if it meant crossing the center line (assuming that I could see that there was no oncoming traffic).

2) You can stop at most open, manned weight stations and go inside and as the scale person to measure the height of your trailer. they all have a device to measure over height vehicles.

3) keep a watch out for freshly paved roads. Sometimes the pave under the overpass/bridge but do not change the height sign. Most of the time they will either dig out the roadway before they pave or the will just not repave under the bridge.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #91
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Booked a campground in West Glacier (Montana for July) It is a new campground so no reviews to speak of, however there is mention of a Bridge just before the Campground that is 13'6", My 2019 3791RD is 13'5". since the AC covers are the highest point what is involved in removing them and would that give me and extra couple inches for safe clearance if they were easily removable? I do have air bags so I can posture the for best clearance as well.

The Bridge sign says 13'6" however it is slightly arched so I would assume the 13'6" is on the far side (lowest point)

Here is the google map view of the bridge the campground is just about a mile on the other side of that bridge

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4951...7i13312!8i6656

I do have on board air compressor however not sure airing down is viable option with this weight. Any other thoughts appreciated.

I Am probably ok to get under this bridge however need plans B-?
What campground and if you’ve already been there did you make it ok? We are going to west glacier in September heading to Columbia Falls.
Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #92
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
West glacier has an awesome KOA nearby. I highly recommend it.