Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Storing gooseball kit...

This might sound like a silly question, but here goes...

We just bought a 2020 Chevy 3500HD High Country. Overall love the truck, and can't wait to pull with it. It came with the factory pucks, but did not include the gooseball kit, which is an option.

I was able to buy the Curt kit for about a $120 less than OEM GM. Includes ball, safety chain hooks, and a nice case.

Here's the rub. With the HC and the all weather floor mats, there is a storage area under the seats. That's nice, but it's no where big enough for the box this thing comes in.

In these new Chevy's where do you store this monster of a case? I don't have an outside toolbox, and won't get one either, so I have to store it inside the cab somewhere, if I want to have it with me all the time...

Old 12-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I've got a storage box in the bed of the truck for that stuff. I would also consider keeping in the trailer
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I've got a storage box in the bed of the truck for that stuff. I would also consider keeping in the trailer
I would like for it to be in the truck, in the event that I needed it when I wasn't close to the trailer. Like, helping someone tow something on the highway when their truck is broke down.

What type of box do you have? I don't want a huge box in the back, either.

I'm also realizing that I don't have a spot for all of the tools that I have in my current TV. I have a small toolbox that holds wrenches, pliers, hammers, connectors, etc, and then I have a socket set. I also have a 2" and 2-5/16" receiver hitch as well. The toolbox and receivers fit nicely under the seat, and the socket set fits nicely BEHIND the seat. That behind the seat storage is the part that I'm missing in the new truck.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
It's a small, low profile box that fits under the tonneau and leaves room for the Andersen Hitch. You can see the Andersen foot print. Sorry, bed's a little dirty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191230_131229.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	5268  
Old 12-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
It's a small, low profile box that fits under the tonneau and leaves room for the Andersen Hitch. You can see the Andersen foot print. Sorry, bed's a little dirty
Thanks for the pic! The one thing that I don't like about those is that I can't put a full sheet of plywood in there when I need to, not that I can get a full sheet in there anyway with the shortbox.

I also would have to remove my tonneau every time that I wanted to open the box. I think that I'm going with this cover:

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/pro/

Allows me to totally remove it when needed, getting full access to the bed, but it is heavy duty when it's closed. I need to have full bed access at times if I have motorcycle(s) in the back, which would also be another reason that a box like this wouldn't work.

The 2020 Chevy's are super tall on bed rails as well. If they didn't give you a step, you couldn't get something on the bed of the truck. They are that tall...
Old 12-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I have a short box also so have to deal with the same thing. The tonneau you reference is similar to mine. I have to remove mine to tow the 5er since it stacks a little high when folded open and can catch when I turn. I'm looking to replace mine with one that will stow up tighter to the cab.

Everything is a trade off. I can manage to carry lumber when I need to and I've stacked it on top of the box and closed tailgate and strapped it down. I haven't had to carry a lot at a time so haven't hurt anything. There are times I've wished I had to whole bed available but the box keeps a lot of stuff out of the back seat of the truck...trade offs
Old 12-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:

Everything is a trade off. I can manage to carry lumber when I need to and I've stacked it on top of the box and closed tailgate and strapped it down. I haven't had to carry a lot at a time so haven't hurt anything. There are times I've wished I had to whole bed available but the box keeps a lot of stuff out of the back seat of the truck...trade offs
So true. Everything is a trade-off.. ** sigh **
Old 12-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
MT167
Established Member

M.O.C. #20990
A wheel well truck bed tool box may fill the bill, around $200 at Home Depot.
MT167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT167 View Post
A wheel well truck bed tool box may fill the bill, around $200 at Home Depot.
I've looked at some of those, and I would like to have it in front of the wheel well. In the back is where the connections are for the plugs.

Then, with a tonneau cover, I have to take it off, or lift it every time that I want to get in there.

I just Wich that the seats folded forward in the back. I stored a LOT of stuff behind the seats in my 2002. But, I didn't have as much legroom, or power, or gears, or functions, etc...

Again, it's those dang tradeoffs....
Old 12-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Thanks for the pic! The one thing that I don't like about those is that I can't put a full sheet of plywood in there when I need to, not that I can get a full sheet in there anyway with the shortbox.

I also would have to remove my tonneau every time that I wanted to open the box. I think that I'm going with this cover:

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/pro/

Allows me to totally remove it when needed, getting full access to the bed, but it is heavy duty when it's closed. I need to have full bed access at times if I have motorcycle(s) in the back, which would also be another reason that a box like this wouldn't work.

The 2020 Chevy's are super tall on bed rails as well. If they didn't give you a step, you couldn't get something on the bed of the truck. They are that tall...
You can have a box and bikes just buy a tail gate extender or you can haul your bikes with the tail gate down so with a bed box or bed fuel tank you still have 7' for bikes...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
You can have a box and bikes just buy a tail gate extender or you can haul your bikes with the tail gate down so with a bed box or bed fuel tank you still have 7' for bikes...
That's a thought....