Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #21
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I'm glad everyone can agree with so few of post compared to say 3/4 ton, 1 ton single or dually.
well..... we could start a debate on the best EMS.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I will only gamble when the odds are heavy my favor. I have an EMS. It’s an insurance policy that you only pay premiums one once.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #23
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Brought new 5er home and had 50A Progressive Industries waiting on it. Told my wife it wasn't leaving the driveway until the EMS was installed. First trip out lightning struck a large tree about 30' away and completely debarked it. Flying bark did damage paint. But no electronic damage. Did the EMS save me? Also at a campground where it kicked us off several days from low voltage. So yes, both can happen.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #24
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
I need one of those. I am really pushing my luck after 21 years without one.
Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #25
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Yes you are! I have had it save me twice - after I lost the A/C due to low voltage in the middle of Nebraska and temps of 105 or so.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #26
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Neighbors right next to us with their Keystone Alpine were having a strange power issue, voltage would be low like 102, next minute it would be almost 140, so their EMS kept shutting down their power until the Electric Co came and found several loose connections in the meter/power box.
Without their EMS who knows how there InCommand system would have liked those voltage swings.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #27
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
We were full timing for over 15 years and never purchased a surge protector. In fact, we seldom saw them on the CG's we used! Certainly possible some were installed inside. In viewing all of the responses to your question which advocate "not leaving home without one," we must have been one of the lucky ones! Having written this, I would add these no doubt provide some peace of mind and, as one person wrote, it seems rather foolish to spend all that money on a rig and not add a few dollars more for this kind of protection.
Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #28
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
Here is my story. Went to west Texas for a funeral.
We stayed on family land that had electrical hookup, the (electrician) just had to rewire for the plug, for type that we needed. He was working on it when we pulled up.
I told him that I could use the plug (30 amp) that he had installed, he just upgrade the wires.
I connected the EMS to the power. Each lug 240 volt, After 15 min on telling him that it cannot work, and explaining why. That yes it is 240 but each lug can only be 120 volt. He had 2 hot and one ground. Final he saw it my way 1 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground.
Hooked the EMS back up and he had it reverse polarity. Changed the wiring around and the EMS gave the green light to hook the RV.
To sum it up. If it was not for the EMS, it would have cost us $$$. The EMS is cheap insurance.
You can't trust anybody (electrician) with the amount of money these RV cost.
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #29
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Never experienced high voltage but I have experienced low voltage. My Surge Guard 50 amp hardwired surge protector shut the electrical supply down before any components could be damaged I've also found mis-wired pedestals and the Surge Guard warned me so that I didn't blow anything up. I wouldn't be without one.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #30
donajohn

M.O.C. #7663
So, Sunshine 1's Progressive SSP-50X is not enough to protect RV adequately? Can you explain difference between SSP and the EMS which is $200 more. Is it the high/low voltage protection? I take it from discussion that that difference is worth the more expensive unit?
donajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #31
tidwellfarms

M.O.C. #11315
After spending over $1000 through the years replacing microwave ovens, fireplaces, Power cords, etc. I decided to "invest" in a surge protector. We had the camper hooked up for football season (3 months), when we finished up and were breaking camp to take the camper home, I couldn't get the power cord unplugged from the trailer???? Apparently, a poor connection at the trailer effectively caused excess current and "welded" to plug internally. Once I got home I had to replace the power cord and plug on the camper. The two items are still connected and won't come apart. So the issues are not always CG related. The first thing I discovered was when I plugged my surge protector into my 50 amp connection at my barn at home, it showed an open ground. Long story short, I know, too late, I found there was a wasp nest inside my junction box on the barn that was causing this. Small holes in the back of the box, easy access for wasps. After removing the nest and plugging the holes all is good.

Bottom line... I won't ever be without one again, but as usual it is up to the individual.
tidwellfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #32
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred715 View Post
The one time I didn't use my EMS I blew out my microwave because the pedestal was wired wrong. This was in San Antonio Texas and the park said it was my trailer. After hooking my EMS and it showed a very hot reading, they still didn't believe me. Tried the 30 amp and it didn't work. Took the retired "navy" electrition most of the day to fix the 30 amp. The people next to us said the trailer before us had problems with that same pedestal. The manager of park was a real jerk. Didn't offer any compensation. GET and use EMS every time!
In 2015 I blew out an air conditioner because of low voltage. Had a surge guard. I also was in San Antonio....KOA. Best thing to ever happen to us because instead of replacing the a/c I bought a new Montana! Sometimes something bad happens so something good can happen. Also switched to EMS 50. At least it shows me that I have low voltage and I can decide to use it or move to another site or CG. It was mid July. Campground was underpowered.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote