Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2021, 04:17 PM   #1
watsonjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18104
Canada and Alaska Trip Planning

We are long range planners and are thinking of touring Canada and maybe travelling up into Alaska in 2023 (yes I know that's a while away, I did say we were long range planners). We are most interested in National/Provincial Parks, but will probably stop in to larger cities for a day or two as we pass them by.

One option is to enter Canada in the Toronto area and head over to Nova Scotia visiting National/Provincial Parks before doubling back and heading West.
We are also interested in any Canada to Alaska trips that people have done.

As always we appreciate the accumulation of knowledge in these forums and appreciate any and all responses.

watsonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
If you don't have a DUI & have the Kung flu shot they'll let you in.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
David and Jean,

We have found western Canada more interesting and friendlier than the east but your interests and mileage may vary.

Your first decision is how much time you are going to devote to the trip. You are talking some really big country - much bigger than the continental US. We did a 7 week trip a while back entering through Montana. We averaged about 5 hours a day driving making several stops for a few days. We got snowed out of Banff in Canada but got into Glacier, Denali and the largest US park Wrangell-St. Elias. We spent a full week in the Kenai and 3-4 days in Valdez.

We did not have the time we would have liked for the trip - to do it over we would add a month. We started with a plan but deviated quite a bit as we talked to other travelers. The Milepost was very helpful for both western Canada and Alaska.

We had a smaller trailer when we did our trip which worked out well, several of the campgrounds are not optimized for large rigs. We boondocked some but mostly stayed in campgrounds. Some folks like the idea of organized caravans but we were very comfortable on our own - just the two of us and our dog.

Even spending May - Sep eastern Canada, western Canada and Alaska may be too much.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:33 AM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We live in Canada and have traveled the entire country from coast to coast and went to Alaska in 2016. We generally avoid Provincial parks because they tend to cater to tent campers and those with smaller trailers. We have one of the smaller Montanas and I would worry about campsite size and maneuverability of the larger units.

The Milepost is a wonderful resource. I wish that information was available for the rest of North America!

We camped at Banff in the National part and were unprepared for parallel parking a fifth wheel! But my husband was up to the challenge and got it done.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
When booking Canadian parks, the large popular ones anyway, be logged in with their reservation website the very second they open up for seasonal reservations. Be aware of any time zone differences. Have your top three sites picked out and be ready to act fast. If going to multiple parks have someone else doing the same thing from a different computer. The montana sized sites go quickly.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #6
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
We did western Canada (Cassiar Highway) two years ago and are planning to do it again in 2023. Nova Scotia + western Canada would be an ambitious trip; unless you have 2-3 months or more. We crossed the border at Sumas and spent a month traveling as far as Whitehorse and back; used to live in Alaska so, at that point, did not want to go further.

We loved the provincial parks on the Cassiar; can't speak for the rest of Canada. Most of them were clean and well maintained. The ones close to towns were not as nice. Most only had a few sites suitable for larger rigs but we were usually able to get our 36' rig in. We also dry camped at times.

There are a number of members here who have travelled to Alaska and will be helpful.

Best wishes and enjoy your travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yukon sign 1 -2.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	10607  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
We went to Alaska in 2016. Started near Bellingham, Wa. Went to a place called Vanderhof near Prince George because it was a decent campground. We stayed a couple of nights so we could go to the Fort St. James. A historic park that was very interesting.
Then on to Stewart, BC / Hyder, AK. Hyder has a Nat. forrest/park called Fish Creek Observation area. It has a 10 foot high boardwalk about 50-100 yards long beside Fish Creek. The salmon come up this creek in early August and grizzlies walk up the creek looking for food!?! We went back 2 evenings and saw a different bear each night - they can tell them apart! The platform is really only about 5 feet high in some places so a bear could easily have a human snack if it wanted to! LOL
Oh, almost forgot an interesting tidbit. Hyder has no banks so they use Canadian money even tho it is in Alaska.
On to Whitehorse where we stopped for a couple of nights. They have some nice restaurants in town.
Finally up to Tok, Ak.

We spent 3 weeks in AK before heading home. I think we spent 4 weeks in AK the previous trip.
And if you are up for an adventure, you can go to Dawson City and then over the Top of the World highway. It was very good gravel in Canada. But about 3 or 4 miles into AK it turns to a dirt road. Places where there is actually a boulder under the road you drive over. And it is very narrow in places, tho no major cliffs or steep hills but very rough for about 80 miles or so. You can stop at Chicken Alaska too!!
Other things in BC like Banff park. I like the Tunnel Mt. #2 park. It has full hookups and some pull thrus I think.
Spend at least 6-8 weeks from southern BC to AK and back.
Have fun
Pic below is on the way from the main highway into Stewart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4310.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	10611  

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:29 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Here is a web site from our trip.

"http://www.mytripjournal.com/WindmanAlaska2016"
It has info on each stop and pics etc. Click on a date and for each date show all pictures to see the comments.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 11-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We did a 10,000 mile Alaska trip in 2013 shortly after we retired. In all honesty I worked for 4 years planning the trip. Studied the roads, had the whole trip broken into drive-able segments. We would stay at least 2 days at each stop, sightseeing, sometimes it could be three days depending on what was around to see. I knew my fuel stops and tended to drive on the top half of the tank. It was the most amazing trip we ever took in our lives. Good luck!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I investigated on where to stop each night. I looked at a tour company and their itinerary and just followed it!! Didn't have to worry about gas or finding campgrounds that way. I did not boondock anywhere, so if you are planning on that you are on your own!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 11-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477

Name:	bear pic.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	10620

I wanted to bring him home with us but my wife vetoed it.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Were in the East did you go.?
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #13
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider View Post
Were in the East did you go.?
Nova Scotia, Ottawa and Toronto. Its been awhile - liked Nova Scotia the best.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonjones View Post
We are long range planners and are thinking of touring Canada and maybe travelling up into Alaska in 2023 (yes I know that's a while away, I did say we were long range planners). We are most interested in National/Provincial Parks, but will probably stop in to larger cities for a day or two as we pass them by.

One option is to enter Canada in the Toronto area and head over to Nova Scotia visiting National/Provincial Parks before doubling back and heading West.
We are also interested in any Canada to Alaska trips that people have done.

As always we appreciate the accumulation of knowledge in these forums and appreciate any and all responses.
I am Canadian. I also will be doing a cross Canada trip. That is a 5 month trip for us going from coast to coast (5 months is legal limit for mountain passes , after that it's chains or snows). Instead of going through Toronto, go up the east coast and enter Canada via Maine. That way you can do an almost straight drive but if you want to go to Newfoundland (HIGHLY RECOMMEND at least a couple weeks there early as in May June to see icebergs and whales)
Once you get to the west coast, you either sprinted across or will be ready to head home as the mountain passes and routes into AK will begin getting snow roughly Mid Sep.
As far as National Parks, I don't think any of them allow camping, and ir they do they can't handle big rigs. Provincial parks are more variable, but still mostly a nogo. On my cross country trip I plan on NO provincial parks or federal, don't even know where they are. Most of our stops will be boondocking but much harder to do in Canada. My advice is to make 2 trips out of it, 5 months in Canada, 5 months in Northern BC, YK, AK. YMMV
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #15
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
David and Jean,

We have found western Canada more interesting and friendlier than the east but your interests and mileage may vary.

Your first decision is how much time you are going to devote to the trip. You are talking some really big country - much bigger than the continental US. We did a 7 week trip a while back entering through Montana. We averaged about 5 hours a day driving making several stops for a few days. We got snowed out of Banff in Canada but got into Glacier, Denali and the largest US park Wrangell-St. Elias. We spent a full week in the Kenai and 3-4 days in Valdez.

We did not have the time we would have liked for the trip - to do it over we would add a month. We started with a plan but deviated quite a bit as we talked to other travelers. The Milepost was very helpful for both western Canada and Alaska.

We had a smaller trailer when we did our trip which worked out well, several of the campgrounds are not optimized for large rigs. We boondocked some but mostly stayed in campgrounds. Some folks like the idea of organized caravans but we were very comfortable on our own - just the two of us and our dog.

Even spending May - Sep eastern Canada, western Canada and Alaska may be too much.
REALLY, eastern Canada is NOT more interesting and friendlier? I am Canadian, currently live on Vancouver Island, have travelled a LOT in eastern Canada. People out east are great, scenery is great everywhere. Be cautious in QC and AB though. Those are our trouble areas. TO is just another big city, worked and lived there too long.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #16
watsonjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18104
Thanks for all the responses.

Hopefully I have not just started a Canadian East vs West feud.

4 years planning? I have my work cut out for me.

I agree that I will likely need to split the trip into two separate 5 month trips. Fortunately we will be retired by then so that will not be a problem.

Has anyone successfully toured Canada in a 40' Monty? I hear from a lot of people that there are no/few sites for big rigs, or do I just need to reserve early. We are happy to camp in a central location and then explore out from there in our tow vehicle. That is how we have been exploring the US for the last two years.

- David & Jean Ann
watsonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #17
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Nova Scotia, Ottawa and Toronto. Its been awhile - liked Nova Scotia the best.
Nova Scotia is East, tons of history and scenery there and of course Alexander Graham Bell's museum. He invented a lot more than the phone when he lived in Nova Scotia and Ontario.

Ottawa and Toronto are central Canada but some in Canada call it east, just look at a map and decide for yourself. When I lived in various places in Ontario we vacationed on the easy coast of Canada and the US many years. I have driven Toronto to Halifax in 24 hours a couple times.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonjones View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

Hopefully I have not just started a Canadian East vs West feud.

4 years planning? I have my work cut out for me.

I agree that I will likely need to split the trip into two separate 5 month trips. Fortunately we will be retired by then so that will not be a problem.

Has anyone successfully toured Canada in a 40' Monty? I hear from a lot of people that there are no/few sites for big rigs, or do I just need to reserve early. We are happy to camp in a central location and then explore out from there in our tow vehicle. That is how we have been exploring the US for the last two years.

- David & Jean Ann
If you can afford KOA, they will always have room for 40 footers, but other campgrounds may not. Also be prepared for only 30A service in older camps. Canada is a bigger country than the USA with 1/10 the people so you will encounter great chunks of mostly uninhabited country like between ThunderBay and Winnipeg. There are a couple cities in between like Kenora and Dryden but no big name parks. The other route closer to the US border might be more interesting and more choices. In the prairies most small towns will have a small park. They are a treasure. Usually almost empty, cheap, town pride makes sure they are well kept. Keep in mind the country like the US was settled east to west, so the density, age and history is greater in the east with the prairie and multiple mountain ranges to the west. FYI consider the mountains inaccesible Oct 1 to Apr 30 unless you have snow tires (it's the law)
Old 11-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #19
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
we have done the alaska trip three times tarting at sumas. we pulled a 34ft monty. used the provincial parks alot and usually there is a spot big enough to accomdate. we traveled most of the roads heading north to Dawson City to Fairbanks including the road to Chicken and south to Haines. Yes it will take a good while to do a decent trip and utmost and foremost make sure your rig is in pretty good shape suspension-wise. It doesn't matter how careful of a driver you are you will encounter a frost heave or two that will take you by surprise. I wouldn't make too many reservations as when traveling alaska one has to have some flexibility in their schedule or it will throw a good damper on some things you would like to spend more time viewing. As mentioned previously get a copy of the Milepost book and plan away!
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #20
hookseter
Established Member

M.O.C. #27463
Alaska-Canada

I am from Alaska, driven the Alcan hyway twice, be selfrelient!
hookseter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, canada