Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
Draaago
Established Member

M.O.C. #26128
Water Heater Won't Stay Put

Hello all!
The water heater in our 2017 3730FL seems to have unseated itself from its correct position and slid a little toward the exterior of the trailer. You can see in the photos that the upper right corner of the water heater frame has separated from the fiberglass siding, creating a small gap. I was previously able to re-position it by tightening the screws that secure the frame in place and re-seal the edges using silicone caulk. However, the first time we moved the trailer, the frame/heater separated from the fiberglass again and the silicone seal was broken. I think this is an issue that has been ongoing for a while, but I didn't pay it much attention until recently. For that reason, I don't think the heater is at risk of sliding all the way out of the trailer. I am concerned, however about the gap as it creates a pretty sizeable space for water to get into the trailer siding/around the water heater. Does anyone have experience with this issue or otherwise have useful information regarding the way the water heater is mounted? I am considering using some sort of putty or sealant under the lip of the water heater frame just to keep water from getting in. Any and all information is appreciated!

PS. The frame screw was removed when I took the pictures, but it has since been replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3863.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	10373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3862.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	10374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3864.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	10375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3865.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	10376  

Draaago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
What does the wood base the heater sits on look like? It should be flat and certainly not have a slope to the outside. Unless the hole cut in the side for the heater was cut too large...the frame assembly should secure it in place. John
Old 10-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
You may try to put longer or a bit wider screws in to secure tank the old ones may be stripped out a little.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I had the same problem and fixed it while at the rally this year.
Take a knife and carefully cut the sealant around the black frame. There is a LOT of sealant between the black frame and the water heater at the bottom. I used a utility knife blade to cut through this layer of sealant.
Remove the black frame.
Remove the furnace cover (makes it easier to clean off sealant).
In the water heater manual install instructions (located in the files section) there is supposed to be 2 screws in each side holding it into the vertical metal studs on each side. Mine only had 1 screw each side.
I verified where the vertical wall studs were using g a stud finder. I pushed the water heater back into position. DW assisted by lifting the back end of the water heater through the pantry access panel. If you don't lift the back end the styrofoam insulation digs into the securing blocks and you cant push it back into position. I used three 1-1/4" screws on each side to secure the water heater in place.
Clean all residual sealant off.
Run a thick bead of clear Pro Flex RV sealant along the bottom edge and up about 1/4 way up the sides of the water heater edge that the black frame overlaps.
I also I stalled thin rubber self stick seals around the inside perimeter of the black frame. I left a 1/2" gap at the bottom aft edge for drainage.
Reinstall the black frame.
Seal the outside perimeter of the frame again leave a small gap at the bottom for drainage.
Clean up excess sealant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_102742.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	10391   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_104321.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	10392   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_104328.jpg