Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Cancelled Trip

We had to cancel our trip plans for a visit with the families back in the Mid-West which we had planned for months now. Finally got everyone together and now the day before we leave the bedroom slide tears up the flooring and will not close properly. Looks like one of the rollers went bad and the bed didn't have anything to slide on and therefore just tore a large chunk of flooring up in the bedroom. It is now at the dealers to be fixed and then back to planning another trip. However, they don't think they will be able to get the parts to fix it until about the second week in November and by that time they may have snow in the mid-west, hell Flagstaff, AZ got 2 inches of snow last night!! I'm NOT ready for winter yet! Anyhow, all packed up and ready to leave and then this happens so now to unpack everything and run it back for repairs. Gotta love camping, right? Most of the miles we have put on the new camper are miles to and from the dealers to get things fixed. That should say something about the quality of the Keystone product. But I'm told there are other manufactures of RVs that are even worst so I suppose I should count my blessings!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
So sorry that you had this problem. It hurts to have our plans tossed around with no regard for our wishes. Hopefully something good will come out of this challenge.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I think things like that happen to all of us at one time or another. You've got to just be like a fishing bobber on a lake. They float and bounce when the waves hit. Even if the fish pulls it down, the bobber will always bounce back up to the surface again. RVing should be just like that. The waves hit, and sometimes we feel like we've actually gone under, but if we have the right frame of mind, we will always bounce back to the surface.

We had our major set back a couple years ago on our way to a state park in Georgia. We never made it to our destination. Instead, spent a few days in a motel and nursed the Residential Refrigerator full of frozen food with no power until we could get it towed to an alternative KOA that was about 40 miles from the motel we were at. What's worse, all this happened on a Saturday evening when everything was closed.

The culprit was a blown Turbo, 4 days later and $5000 later we were back on the road heading back home. And oh, our dog died a week later.

We did our best to keep a positive attitude, we appreciated all the help the motel provided for us, and once Monday rolled around, we were able to a rental car so we could at least visit the local area. It took a while to get the connections to get the trailer towed to the KOA, and the tow bill for the tow for the truck and trailer, and then later another tow for the trailer from the motel to the campground cost a small fortune.

But, we made the best of it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
wow what a bummer having that happen. how many miles were on your tv and did they come up with why it may happen. and so sorry about your dog that would be worse for me than the whole rest of your misfortune. i realize you said 2 years ago but was just wondering.
al meyer
3931fb az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
We had issues on our big trip this year. Had to buy a different truck. Original truck twice in the shop b4 trip, canceled first night & drove 500+ miles to second stop. Woke up the next day and truck went into limp mode. Two more shop visits, faith gone regardless what shop said. Bought the used truck, made the rest of the trip and a second trip - nearly 14,000 miles and a good trip ...
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Lost a roller on our bed early on in ownership. Very easy to remove the thin plywood floor under the lift up bed to expose the issue. Common roller available at the big box home stores like home depot, lowes, etc. The factory used the same sheet metal screws used everywhere in the trailer to screw the roller into the bottom rail of the construction instead of using longer wood screws. As to torn flooring, what is under the bed is out of sight.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
I didn't know it was safe to tow the trailer while still attached to the truck 5th wheel hitch like that? The angle looks like it would have a lot of stress on the pin.
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Isn’t there an adjustment under the slide to raise it off of the floor?
Old 10-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I'm still trying to figure out how your Ford turned into a Chevy at the shop?

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
...how many miles were on your tv and did they come up with why it may happen...
3931fb az
Truck had just over 50,000 miles. Yea, it was definately a surprise. At first, I thought maybe the DEF ran empty and the truck when into limp mode (in the mountains in Tennessee on an interstate). I was able to limp it as close as I could to the next exit when it just stopped completely. I was able to coast off the edge of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our3820FK View Post
I didn't know it was safe to tow the trailer while still attached to the truck 5th wheel hitch like that? The angle looks like it would have a lot of stress on the pin.
Well, I was surprised also when the tow truck driver said we could do it. I questioned HIS truck if it had enough "umph" to tow both. It did just fine. We rode in his cab.

About the hitch? I was concerned about that too. My hitch is a standard, no frills Recon. The head pivots all around and it did just fine. I was more concerned about the over-hang of the camper making contact with the bed rails at such an angle. It never made contact.

Yep, our plans were greatly altered on that trip ... Florence Marina State Park will just have to wait for another day.

For Gubs:

Hang in there. Every thing WILL work out and you'll have another opportunity. Keep the "RV faith" and maybe someday, we'll meet on the road somewhere!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When the Fords came out with the cabs they could remove to repair the engines everybody complained. Now everybody does it and it’s still the best way to do some repairs. It’s easier and quicker to get to the engine to do a correct repair. Hats off to the dealer and GM.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #12
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Years ago, we spent a week camping in the back lot of the Ford dealership in South Lake Tahoe. We were 20 miles out of Lake Tahoe when the fuel pump failed on our brand new, 1999 Ford F-250 7.3 L diesel as we were driving up CA Hwy 50. We had to be towed in by a semi-wrecker as well, with the 5th wheel still attached to the pickup truck. It took 5 days for the dealership to get a replacement fuel pump and have it installed. When they finished working on the fuel pump, they asked where the universal joint was on the drive shaft. The tow truck driver had disconnected the universal joint so he could tow our truck. He had wired it to shaft, but somewhere along the route it fell off. Ford was able to find a new universal joint at the local NAPA auto parts shop. That took a day to fix as well.

During the week we ran a drop cord from one of the service bays to keep our fridge and lights going in our Forest River 5th wheel. The Ford dealer loaned us a rental car and we had a great time and made the best of a difficult situation.

Don & Laurie
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjamin View Post
Years ago, we spent a week camping in the back lot of the Ford dealership in South Lake Tahoe. We were 20 miles out of Lake Tahoe when the fuel pump failed on our brand new, 1999 Ford F-250 7.3 L diesel as we were driving up CA Hwy 50. We had to be towed in by a semi-wrecker as well, with the 5th wheel still attached to the pickup truck. It took 5 days for the dealership to get a replacement fuel pump and have it installed. When they finished working on the fuel pump, they asked where the universal joint was on the drive shaft. The tow truck driver had disconnected the universal joint so he could tow our truck. He had wired it to shaft, but somewhere along the route it fell off. Ford was able to find a new universal joint at the local NAPA auto parts shop. That took a day to fix as well.

During the week we ran a drop cord from one of the service bays to keep our fridge and lights going in our Forest River 5th wheel. The Ford dealer loaned us a rental car and we had a great time and made the best of a difficult situation.

Don & Laurie
When life serves lemons make lemonade. You will enjoy it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote