Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Golf cart carrier

I have a Montana 35 high country and I'm looking for a rack to carry my golf cart on the back frame. Ant ideas/

RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The frames on these rigs are no where strong enough to carry a golf cart, maybe the bag of clubs and a few balls.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:21 AM   #3
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
golf cart carrier

How do you figure that? The gate on the back right now is rated for 500lbs, total weight of my golf cart with batteries is 875lbs without batteries 476lbs well within the spec for the trailer. I appreciate your input but don't give out opinions without fact. I may have my local welder come up with something.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Add that weight to the back of a HC and your frame and suspension will suffer plus your trailer handling will be abominable with sway.

I can assure you that our HC 343 even with the as installed and upgraded suspension would not handle that rear frame lever arm load. If you know better - go for it. It's your choice, your trailer
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:08 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pay no attention yo the posters here trying o offer constructive advice hook it up and go.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:08 AM   #6
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
golf cart carrier

Like I said in the previous post the about the cargo gate on the back already with I already carry about 300lbs on between the generator and dock box full of equipment. Plus I if don't fill the water tank that saves me 450lbs which is just forward of the rear bumper. I figured taking the batteries out and put them in the truck bed and I shouldn't have a problem. Of course you have to keep the overall weight and balance in check, so again where do you come up with your comments? I this by experience? Have you ever looked into it?
Old 06-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #7
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
I was just looking for a brand or someone that has this configuration, I'm well in tune to people that post BS, I also am a seasoned RV'r. Been towing trailers for 40 years! I know its a matter of weight & balance. i see posts about tow behind's installing sway bars and load levers, if you load any trailer correctly you don't need any of that!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Pay no attention yo the posters here trying o offer constructive advice hook it up and go.
I agree. You should pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Hook it up and go for it!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well 'ol timer, I don't think you are going to get any responses to your question because no one has done it (at least, no one who reads these posts). And I'm pretty sure the reason why no one has added a golf cart carrier to the end of their Montana is because it's really questionable if the frame structure of the Montana can actually support that much weight dangling off the end. I "think" we all pay too much for our campers, and even the remote risk of doing frame damage is more than any one want's to deal with.

The other issue is the shear length from the axle centers to the end of attachment. Depending on the total length of your Montana, the farther out, the greater the G-forces bouncing up and down. Adding an additional 12 inches or 24 inches can increase the G-forces tremendously, where a shorter extension would not be as great.

With that said, if you are still determined with your plan, then you need to look for a carrier that has a carrying capacity much greater than your "anticipated" expectations. In other words, if you are considering a carrier that will carry 500 pounds, you'll do better looking for one that will actually carry 1000 pounds.

A lot of these types of carriers are designed to hang off the back of a pick-up truck where the distance between the end of the carrier and the truck "pivot" point is not so great. Meaning the G-forces are not as great, if it was extended out another 15 or 20 feet from the pivot (up and down), the risk of failure over time is compounded greatly. So, that's why, if you are looking for a carrier, don't settle on one that just meets the weight of your golf cart. Double that and you'll have better success.

Which brand should you get? I have no clue. I purchased a cargo carrier (hitch mounted) for my previous travel trailer and it rocked back and forth so bad, I had to build supports for it to keep it from rocking. It worked OK, but on my Montana, It simply hangs "out there" too much. Even carrying a garden hose, I'd be concerned the actual frame of the carrier would get snapped in a heart beat.

Your best bet is to research and then read the customer reviews on the brand you are considering. I'm finding great value in reading customer reviews before purchasing items that cost more than 25 cents, because things are NOT what they always appear to be. Well (25 cents may be an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.)

Still, the basic concern still remains, can your Montana actually support the added stress on the frame, and do you need to add additional support for the carrier?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Look up dynamic load vs static load. You will find that. i.e.. a 500 pounds of static, at rest, load can become a lot more when you get moving and those bumps cause the now dynamic, moving at speed, load to be possibly many times more then the original. and will the welds or even that LCI frame capable.

As said above, you choice, your trailer
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #11
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
this will work

https://www.freedomhauler.com/
raygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
where there is a will there is a way. take a look at the following.

HYDRALIFT ON A 5TH WHEEL TRAILER

The Hydralift can be mounted on some, not all 5th wheels trailers. Every 5th wheel application is a custom fit application to your 5th wheel’s body and chassis. Further information will be required to determine the fit of application including information required to reinforce the trailer’s frame prior to installing a Hydralift. The Hydralift’s lifting capacity is restricted to the 5th wheel’s GVWR as to the available chassis carrying capacity (just because Hydralift will pick it up does not mean your chassis can carry it). If in doubt email or call Hydralift Tech Support on each specific application
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
This is the weight sticker on my rear hitch. What does your sticker say?
If it was me - I would want to know if the little hitch is going to stay welded to the frame along that small 3" long weld while getting pounded with a live load hanging off the back that well exceeds the note on the sticker. Then I would worry about GVW numbers. I believe the main frame on a HC may be different (smaller) from the frame size on a Legacy - but I don't remember the numbers. You can check that by searching.

There have been many similar threads on the rear hitch. Some folks have had a welder add structure and weld off to the frame toward the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-14_11-11-56.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	9396   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-14_11-16-43.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	9397  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Thanks that at least is some constructive criticism. I have done some research, checked out a couple of brand names and yes it does look like the frame rails will need to be reinforced, also the mounting points (at least two) for stability. I understand the weight moment and leverage that possibly affect how this works which can be calculated with a pretty easy formula. Fatigue is another consideration.

Mighty hauler states that it can be done with frame reinforcements and they claim to have a facility that can do it so I know its possible. Taking the batteries out brings the weight to 476lbs which is under the weight of the present tailgate carrier installed now. Also the additional weight won't be at the very end it will be spread out from the bumper back.

I'm having my local welder take a look and see what his thoughts are and if its feasible or not. Naturally I don't want to break my rig. I don't think the suspension will be a problem due to its a function of keeping the weight under the GVWR. One of the ideas I had and my welder can confirm it is too cut a square out of each side of the bumper where the frame rails reside and slide in a slight smaller box beam which would greatly increase the strength. Its all still in the beginning stages and I'll have to see where it goes.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #15
Wentpostal

M.O.C. #27632
Have you looked at a swivel wheel? I’ve seen golf carts on the back of Fifth wheels using this. We have one with a single wheel and haul a motorcycle all over the US. It’s not considered double towing because it has no axle, does not pivot/ can’t jackknife and it’s not on a hitch.
Wentpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #16
Building Memories
Established Member

M.O.C. #25251
Building Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #17
strat56

M.O.C. #27567
I have no opinion on if your 5th wheel can handle the load or not but if your 5th wheel is still under warranty, I would check with LCI and see what reinforcing the frame will do to the warranty.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #18
Ozarkwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #26357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDH View Post
How do you figure that? The gate on the back right now is rated for 500lbs, total weight of my golf cart with batteries is 875lbs without batteries 476lbs well within the spec for the trailer. I appreciate your input but don't give out opinions without fact. I may have my local welder come up with something.
Sounds like you have it all figured out, how much do you figure the platform able to support the bouncing weight of the cart is going to weigh? So you plan on taking your batteries out every time you have the cart on the platform?
Old 06-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #19
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Having something that substantial hanging off of a hitch receiver is foolish for a number of reasons. First, handling and stability, second, bounce, third the extended distance is going to make it real hard to get in and out of many driveways as the trailers are engineered at near maximum clearance from the rear wheels to the furthest point on the back and last, if warranty isn't an issue any more, then it's not a needed consideration, but hey it's your trailer and the worst that can happen is that you screw up a very expensive trailer and damage or destroy your golf cart.

I would go with an Idaho Tote or a Cruiserwheel dual wheel swivel trailer. Something with wheels on the ground to support the weight.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #20
Darrel
Established Member

M.O.C. #26815
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDH View Post
I was just looking for a brand or someone that has this configuration, I'm well in tune to people that post BS, I also am a seasoned RV'r. Been towing trailers for 40 years! I know its a matter of weight & balance. i see posts about tow behind's installing sway bars and load levers, if you load any trailer correctly you don't need any of that!
It would have been helpful to include more information (Make, year, batteries left in or taken out). People here are also just trying to help. If you don’t like the help ignore it but don’t trash anyone when you opened this dialog with almost zero information.
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote