Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
mach1muscle351
Established Member

M.O.C. #25598
Hey Keystone, it'd be nice IF....

If you actually put screws in the holes that are supposed to have screws :'(

SMH

mach1muscle351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
I had to put one of our fender screws into the bracket that they had purposely built for it. Makes no sense why you go thru all of the trouble of building an extra bracket to support the fender, and then you run a screw into the fender that doesn't hit your bracket...

SMH as well...
Old 12-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I went around my Montana a few months ago and tightened every screw up. I posted "All screwed up". It's a good thing to go around and check every screw a couple times a year at least. I replaced almost all the fender screws with bolts that had a nut on the back (small ones, but they are still bolts), tightened down a lot of loose stuff, and found some screwed into nothing.

Don't forget to look under your camper at the underbelly covering and make sure none of those screws have popped through the colorplast underbelly. Mine did a few months after purchasing. I removed the screws and used big-big washers over every one and replaced the screws. Those were all in the frame.

Considering you found these missing, I thinks it's time you also get, "All screwed up" too!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
mach1muscle351
Established Member

M.O.C. #25598
These aren't riveted out of the factory right? I found a few sheared rivet scraps.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1muscle351 View Post
If you actually put screws in the holes that are supposed to have screws :'(

SMH

Maybe my quadfocals are out of tune but what am I looking at exactly? Is that the J wrap where it goes up under the transition strip to the side wall? If so you might want to look at those down both sides. On my last trailer they missed the J wrap with nearly every other than the very ends. Wound up pulling the transition strip loose, had DW push the J wrap up as hard as she could and riveted the sections that were loose because they would not go under the transition strip far enough for the screws to go through it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #6
mach1muscle351
Established Member

M.O.C. #25598
I tried to get my Bifocals to read and understand you. But it seems that I still didn't know exactly what you meant :P

This is the rear right of the RV, 2019 3761FL. I didn't understand what you said at all unfortunately. I am sure those might be very simple terms but I am sort of a noob. Sorry about that!

I was thinking I needed to take off all of the seal.. Hopefully it's just silicone on.. Reattach it with screws or rivet gun. Maybe add more rivets because it doesn't seem so strong regardless to anything. Get new bolt's and washers for the bottom section.

OR.....

Would it be worth it to bother with Keystone?

P.S.

I really do appreciate the post/reply! Thanks! I am just a newbie and google didn't help translate unfortunately. Sorry
Old 12-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
mach1muscle351
Established Member

M.O.C. #25598
I am adding two more pictures to make more sense of it. And I did find out what J wrap was lol. Looks to be it!

Added some magical tape so that the wind doesn't cause any more damage to it.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I can't blow up the pics but it does appear the J wrap is letting go. Also appears to be possibly the same issues I've had.

I can't really tell but it looks like the J wrap has dropped from transition strip (horizontal strip running lengthwise between the slam doors) as well as come loose on the ends under the trailer. I would pull the vinyl insert trim out of the transition strip and remove the screws to see if any of them are actually into the J wrap panel. Most of mine were not. If they aren't you might be able to push it up and get enough of the J wrap to hold it - on mine I could not and thus the rivets which worked great.

Another issue I've had on this one is are the screws securing the bottom of the J wrap under the trailer, which it appears you may have as well. Many of them were stripped or screwed into thin air. I reattached the J wrap properly along the bottom edges to eliminate all the loose sections, flapping etc. - on a new trailer....but I'd rather do it right myself than "hope" when taking it to a dealer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1muscle351 View Post
... J wrap was lol. Looks to be it!

Yes, this is exactly what happened to mine, only we were about 250 miles from home when I found it. I have no clue how far we drove with the "J-wrap" dangling under the camper. But when I found it, I was shocked.

I immediately went into seize and control mode and searched out the closest hardware store and purchased the largest washers they had. I had to use multiple sizes to get the center hole smaller and smaller so the original screws that went into the frame would finally catch on something.

The J-wrap (under the trailer) was completely pulled through the screws. There was about 1/4 of an inch from the edge of the hole to the edge of the aluminum J-wrap that attached to the frame. Why in the world didn't Keystone make that wrap just 1 inch wider so the holes wouldn't tear out being so close to the edge, is anyone's guess. Although the trailer was still well in it's original 1 year warranty, I wasn't about ready to tow it one foot with all that dangling under there. So, that local hardware store fixed me up.

I also added about 3 tubes of Liquid Nails between the aluminum J-wrap where it overlaps the Colorplast and were both attach to the frame. I figure, if the Liquid Nails adheres to the actual frame of the trailer, the Liquid Nails would never give way. I've used Liquid Nails for many, many applications like this outside, exposed to weather, and it's never failed.

But meanwhile, I also reattached the screws and the really big washers. And I pray I never have to remove that Colorplast under belly, because it will have to be destroyed to break away from the Liquid Nails now.

But at the time, desperate times called for desperate measures. I was really mad at this shoddy work, and away from home, and no way to move the camper without possible greater damage.

The fixed worked, it's been 2 years now, all kinds of weather and it's still holding strong.

Unfortunately, this same thing happened on the front of the trailer too. And the fix was the same. I found that when I did my "All screwed up" examination.

Anyway, here's the fix:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
Raven17
Established Member

M.O.C. #24494
Hello all. We also have a 2020 3761fl with the j panel pulled loose on the ODS. It at dealer to be repaired at this time.. They will have to remove door trim and hot water heater trim. 6 + hours of work.. we will see. I will be checking underneath before picking up.. Good luck to all.
Raven17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #11
mach1muscle351
Established Member

M.O.C. #25598
Since I am not sure exactly if it's the wrong spot to post in general.

Is there any Preventative Maintenance tips/posts for 2019 KS Montana's?

It seems like it might be worthwhile to spend a couple of weeks in spring and just go through things and improve/enhance their durability.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:13 PM   #12
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I went around my Montana a few months ago and tightened every screw up. I posted "All screwed up". It's a good thing to go around and check every screw a couple times a year at least. I replaced almost all the fender screws with bolts that had a nut on the back (small ones, but they are still bolts), tightened down a lot of loose stuff, and found some screwed into nothing.

Don't forget to look under your camper at the underbelly covering and make sure none of those screws have popped through the colorplast underbelly. Mine did a few months after purchasing. I removed the screws and used big-big washers over every one and replaced the screws. Those were all in the frame.

Considering you found these missing, I thinks it's time you also get, "All screwed up" too!
Nice post
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #13
jmb98
Established Member

M.O.C. #22945
We were on our way to Corning, CA, this summer, on I-5 SB, when some kind soul driving past us signaled that something was wrong with our trailer. Pulled to the shoulder & found the (ODS) coroplast dragging on the asphalt. Took me 30 mins to shore it up with duct tape while cars/trucks were blowing past us. Once at the park, I began looking for help while researching the forum. Next day (Sunday) I found a mobile truck repair, told him what I needed & he came out to reattach everything (about half the length of the trailer) with TEK screws & fender washers. Fortunate to have found him with everything closed for Covid & well worth the $$!
jmb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #14
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I think I will replace all of them with these and a little dab of calking to keep them from backing out.

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fas...9772270&sr=8-5
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #15
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Amazing how these things are thrown together by people who don't seem to really care. Putting a dab of silicone on some of the fender screws before reinserting them seems to help hold them in.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[QUOTE=432bartman;1209087]Amazing how these things are thrown together by people who don't seem to really care. Putting a dab of silicone on some of the fender screws before reinserting them seems to help hold them in

The people who put these together are ordinary employees of Keystone. They put them together as Keystone tells them to put them together with the materials Keystone provides them. We have been on the factory tour many times at the fall rally. You suggestion would be better directed to Keystone customer service.

We replaced all our fender screws.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:47 AM   #17
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
[QUOTE=richfaa;1209093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Amazing how these things are thrown together by people who don't seem to really care. Putting a dab of silicone on some of the fender screws before reinserting them seems to help hold them in

The people who put these together are ordinary employees of Keystone. They put them together as Keystone tells them to put them together with the materials Keystone provides them. We have been on the factory tour many times at the fall rally. You suggestion would be better directed to Keystone customer service.

We replaced all our fender screws.
I think I'm hearing richfaa say that employees of Keystone care. You have got to be kidding me.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:33 AM   #18
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Not putting all screws in, mot connecting all wires, leaving tools in hidden places and in my case leaving a piece of trim off above an cabinet but leaving it on top of the cabinet is a worker issue, not much different on any assembly line. It gets worse as sales increase and people are pushed.
Keystone employees care just like any other hourly employee cares, mostly about the next break or quitting time and some take what they do to heart. Make no mistake they are not a bunch of artisans they are just your run of the mill employee, no different than any other industry. Not that they are worse than any others, just don't put them on a pedestal, in the end you will be disappointed.

By the way I love my Montana and am amazed at the work it took design and build it.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #19
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
[QUOTE=masterdrago;1209140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I think I'm hearing richfaa say that employees of Keystone care. You have got to be kidding me.
Why? Are you suggesting they don't?

And, while you're thinking of that, imagine the world they live in; a hard manual job that is the best (only?) one in the area where you live. And a pay scale that incents you to work fast and to rush through every job. Quality issues are not penalized, but being too slow is. If you're faster than the next worker you get praise and promotions. And, maybe if you ruin your body for a couple of decades, your family gets a bit further ahead. Hopefully by then, you've worked faster than the next guy so that you can get promoted to a less physical job and not be one of the ones let go because a younger, faster worker is ready to replace you.
And, you think quality issues are because they don't care?

Now who's kidding who here??

Brad
Old 01-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Take a tour of the factory watch them at work. The employee that does not care will not have the job very long. Keystone sets the work rules. They can not put a dab of silicone of the fender screws if they do not have the silicone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote