Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Last minute trip cancellations, who's dealt with it too?

Had a Thanksgiving trip planned for the last year, with our good friends, who also are 5th wheel owners. My truck was loaded, and ready to pick up our trailer the following day. About a month ago my elderly mother moved in with my wife and I. We gave her our master bedroom on the bottom floor, due to her having MS, and unable to negotiate stairs. Well the other night while walking back to bed, she had a fall and needless to say fractured her left femur. She had surgery the other day and is doing great. The last 2-3 months have been busy, selling off and entire household of my mom's furniture, moving her, and putting her home on the market. To say my wife and I were ready for this time to get away and decompress is an understatement. After taking a deep breath, and reflecting on how fortunate our family is, in the end, it was only a cancelled trip, and that there will be others. I'm thankful my wife and I are there to care for my mom, and I know if I were in her shoes, I'd want my own kids to do the same for us when that time arises. I know there are others on this site who have had unfortunate, unforeseen circumstances occur and had to cancel trips, and I now know how that feels. Anyways, I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving.

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
best of luck for you your wife and mother. hope she heals up soon and can get back to normal. it is nice that you are able to help your mother when she needs you. moms took care of us during our young and growing up years now as long as you are able and can great you can help. may you and your family have a wonderful holiday together!

al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Best of luck with your Mom. We had my father-in-law living with us for eight years. We were fortunate that he stayed in good health until he passed. You will look back on these times and be glad that you did. Happy Thanksgiving.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Sorry to hear about your mother and wish a speedy recovery. We wish your Family a Happy Thanksgiving.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Elder health is why we ended up selling our Monty earlier this year. My wife’s mother had some serious health issues 9 years ago that never fully went away. My wife’s brother lived with their mother but had health issues himself (COPD and cancer survivor). He was little help but could at least call my wife if needed and wife could keep them in their home as long as possible. Wife was hesitant to get more than a few hours away and our travels fell to short term fairly local trips. And even then had to cancel some. And even those trips became fewer. Dementia forced moving her mother to a nursing home two years ago. Now 99 and physically in fairly good health all things considered. But mentally??? Brother passed away last year.

But costs of storage, registration, maintenance and upkeep was just too much for our usage, so we sold it. Sure miss it though. But the memories of all the great trips will remain forever. And I still enjoy keeping up with you guys and your excursions, and the trials and tribulations of owning an RV.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:04 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Hope your mother recovers quickly and you can enjoy camping again.

We've had to cancel camping reservations, only too many times, because of "life events" that happened beyond our control. Sometimes, we were able to get a refund on the camping fees, and other times we could not. As disappointing as it was to cancel a trip that had been planed months and months in advance, it just made the next time out even more sweet and made us appreciate the next trip even more.

Life is a gamble, in many more ways than one. There are no guarantees for any of our futures. We (all) can only plan for the best, hope for the best, and enjoy it when the best happens. But, in a flash, things can change, and all our plans change.

We have learned that the most important thing in the world is not how much we plan, or don't plan, or how much we look forward to future events, how much money we make, or how many vacations we take or where we go. No. The absolute most important thing in life are the relationships we have with each other, the time we share with each other, and the love we give to each other. It's not the love we "take", it's the love we freely "give" to others in our world, that ... at the end of our own road, will be the things we relish the most.

The time will come when your parents will be forever gone. When that happens, you can gladly look back without any regret, with a sense of satisfaction, and sense of gratitude that you did everything you could humanly possible do to care and provide for (them) (your mother). Looking back after they are gone a few years, you'll honestly say, "I gave her my best. No regrets."

Enjoy being with your mother while you can. Life is just too short.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Well three days out of surgery with an almost 12" rod in her femur, and able to take 100 steps with a walker, the hospital sent my mom home. Her hospital case worker said she did too WELL to qualify for a live-in rehab facility that would be covered by any insurance. Talk about scrambling. She does qualify for home rehab 2 times a week. My jaw about hit the floor as well as my mom's when we were told she was coming home that soon. Man they patch you up and kick you out the door as fast as they can.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:57 PM   #8
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
I'm widowed and live alone. Haven't been home with my adult kids and their families for 5 years since my husband passed. First 2 I travelled so I didn't have to think about it, the past 3 I've been away, 1600 miles away, visiting and checking up on my elderly parents who I only wish lived closer or even with me at this point.

This year I was going to stay home for the holidays and I was scheduled to go camping the second week of December...........HOWEVER, dad turns 90 a few days before Christmas. The guilt trip finally set in and I decided to go again to visit my parents.

My thinking is that we can't have that many more holidays with them and when dad is gone, mom, who loves to travel will come to us for the holidays and probably even go camping with me. So my point is be glad she's still around and there's always tomorrow to go on trips or camping, but tomorrow with our love ones is not guaranteed.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote