Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #1
JimM86
Established Member

M.O.C. #29440
2021 Montana Awning

Hi maybe someone can educate me on this main awning on my 2021 Montana 3791 RD awning. It’s driving me crazy. It protrudes straight out and is not at any pitch. I have read the manual for this for pitching but it’s so hard to pull down to pitch as as I state it’s so high up you need a ladder to reach the pitch arm. Plus the tension rod is so tight I can’t pull down on it. Any suggestions please. All my other 5th wheels had an arm horizontally at the bottom of the arm structure that you just pull down and it pitched and stayed. Please help thanks

JimM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Mine moves pretty easy, I grab it where the big black arm is pinned to the aluminum one with the knob. Maybe someone cranked the knows down?
Old 09-22-2021, 05:07 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Jim, I have a 2019 3791RD. You're right. The awning is almost too high to be of any use. When I do use it, I tend to pitch one end for rain run off. It is difficult to pull down. Make sure the black knob is loose, then pull down on the arm that is away from the wall so that the aluminum arm goes into the knob slot, then tighten the knob to hold in place. Make sure to loosen the knob and let it return to normal before retracting the awning or it will damage it.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:50 AM   #4
JimM86
Established Member

M.O.C. #29440
Awning

Thanks for the reply. I tried doing it but it’s so high up that the awning comes straight out and is level with the roof line. There is no downward pitch. And the black turn knobs are loose. I guess I’ll wait and see if anyone else has the same problem. Thanks
JimM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have an awning on both sides of my Montana (It has doors on both sides) and both are just way to high to reach to tilt. I have to use a ladder to reach the knobs to tighten them down.

What I did though, to help the process was to put a normal pull strap in the sliding track on the roller tube. This way, I can pull the strap down, even when standing on the ladder and hold it while tightening the knob. I actually put 2 straps on the front awning, because it's a longer awning, and one on over the back door opposite side awning since is a shorter awning.

It still requires a ladder to reach the knob to tighten down the arms in the sloped position though.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM86 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I tried doing it but it’s so high up that the awning comes straight out and is level with the roof line. There is no downward pitch. And the black turn knobs are loose. I guess I’ll wait and see if anyone else has the same problem. Thanks
Spray some silicone lube on the aluminum slotted bar, then go out to the end of the awning and pull down and push toward the rig. Some have put a strap around the roller and pulled down on it too. You should be able to work it loose. It's all about leverage at the pivot point.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Awning operation, Dometic 9100
https://youtu.be/DVAY2VZQADE

Awning knob tool
By Rames14
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=84955

Awning manual override
You can get an SAE connector and jump it straight to the battery to test the motor
https://youtu.be/SmVECMk9vA0
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:05 PM   #8
stever53
Established Member

M.O.C. #29445
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM86 View Post
Hi maybe someone can educate me on this main awning on my 2021 Montana 3791 RD awning. It’s driving me crazy. It protrudes straight out and is not at any pitch. I have read the manual for this for pitching but it’s so hard to pull down to pitch as as I state it’s so high up you need a ladder to reach the pitch arm. Plus the tension rod is so tight I can’t pull down on it. Any suggestions please. All my other 5th wheels had an arm horizontally at the bottom of the arm structure that you just pull down and it pitched and stayed. Please help thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Awning operation, Dometic 9100
https://youtu.be/DVAY2VZQADE

Awning knob tool
By Rames14
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=84955

Awning manual override
You can get an SAE connector and jump it straight to the battery to test the motor
https://youtu.be/SmVECMk9vA0
Thanks JimM86, for asking and Daryles for the link to make a knob. I’m 6’ 2” and can’t reach the knob or the arm to even begin to adjust the awning. On our last trip a friend had a latter that he carries with him and was able to adjust it, but I don’t want to carry a ladder around. I was thinking that Keystone should either come up with some sort of tool like (Rames14) came up with, or supply a latter with every Fifth wheel so we can adjust the awnings. I will be making the knob tool myself.
Thanks again Steve
Safe Travels
stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote