Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Camping World and Montana

I bought my 3791RD Legacy in January from Camping World in Harrisburg PA. Don't get me wrong the sales guy was great and is still trying to help. Harrisburg is 3.5 hrs. away. Camping World opened a new one in Apollo PA only 30 minutes away. I had a problem with a slide sticking and went to the one in Apollo since Camping World said I can go to any Camping World to get items under warranty fixed. The Apollo manager and service people said unless I bought it at that store they couldn't help me. I reminded them of the Camping world policy and the answer was still nope can help. Than one of them said they don't sell Montana's. I asked them to look out the window and guess what there was Montana. That started a lot of stammering and double talk.
The moral of the story, Camping World Sucks. Sorry I bought from them.
Tried to contact Keystone and still no reply from there either.
Originally Keystone said if a dealer sells their units they have to service them even if you didn't buy them there. Wish they would enforce the rule.

LigonierMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
CW in Buda used to be a high pressure sales joint. They would keep calling you no matter how loudly you yelled "NOT INTERESTED!!" To this day whenever we go there and want to look at campers, we give them a fake name and number.

Some folks have good luck at CW.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I did not buy my rig local nor from CW. It has been in for warranty work twice, once to a local CW and once to another dealer (non CW). No issue from either place getting work done in a timely manner. You can go to anyone that is an approved Keystone repair facility - they do not need to sell Montana.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have no problem with Camping world. IMO your negotiating skills will determine the price you pay for a RV.We have had work done at Camping world and although not our first choice they did a good job. We watch for specials at CW. We are long timers and travel all over the country, our Selling dealer is in Ohio and we are most of the time hundreds or thousands of miles away from them. We contact Keystone customer service if we need a dealer for service while on the road and we have never had a problem with service anywhere
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Some on the MOC swear by CW ... others swear at CW. It's been my experience that for every one good CW I could easily point out 20 bad ones. CW has great prices on their units due to shear volume, but most have TERRIBLE service centers. Unfortunately CW is buying up well established RV dealerships right and left. Dean's RV in Tulsa and Nationwide RV in Grain Valley, MO are two examples of which I have experience with over the years. Shortly after the CW sign went up ... service went in the crapper. Negotiating skills have no effect on my CW service history.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Thanks all. I am hoping the sales guy can get the issue fixed with his GM. He seemed angry when he heard about the issue and with what the Apollo Store said. Maybe it's because the Apollo store is a new Camping World, it was Cooper RV, they bought them.. We'll see, hopeful.
Thanks again
Lynn
LigonierMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One of the problems with Camping World is there are good ones and really crappy ones and Camping World overall does little or nothing to fix it. I had warranty work done by the Camping World in Albuquerque on our old rig even though they don't sell Montana's. So it's a crap shoot.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I say buy your camper where it is the cheapest and get it serviced where they have the best service. Hard to beat the price you will get from camping world! But a service only place is almost always better than a sales dealership for service! Sales dealerships only have service because they have to. Service only businesses depend on good service reputation to stay in business!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The service departments at most Camping worlds are crowded. We stopped at the Winslow ,AZ CW two summers ago which is kind of nowhere and it was over flowing,They however had a great sale on the G2 plus satellite that we purchased. The CW here in Kissimmee,Fl is packed all the time and at times traffic directed by the local police dept.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I believe this biggest problem with their service departments are low pay and lack of employee loyalty, JMHO.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Seems CWs are like any other chain store whether it be a restaurant, department store, service station, home improvement store, etc. Same name, but some are great, some are mediocre, some are bad. All depends on the individual management.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
I believe this biggest problem with their service departments are low pay and lack of employee loyalty, JMHO.
According to camping world the salary of a Service technician is 19 to 26$$ per hour.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Our CW in Roanoke Va has a great service policy, if the problem isn’t too bad sell it and if the customer finds a problem we might fix it or we may not fix it or we could do even more damage. They had over 50 complaints to the BBB until the BBB quit accepting them because you had to complain about the parent co.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Local CW techs are at $15 - $19 hourly but book rate finds them making $65K - $75K. Not bad for the area.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #15
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
After 12 years of traveling. My repair plan on the road is to patch it up and try to get home to a local dealer who I trust--it is not CW! I have used local mobile RV techs with good success especially when the RV park recommends them. It probably reflects the idea that if the customer is satisfied--well the RV park wins and so does the mobile tech. I do buy RV stuff at CW when it is convenient--otherwise drive on by.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #16
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Well, on Marcus Lemonis needs to get off TV and go out and LISTEN to his customer base because this ani’t Your dad’s Camping World or Sam’s Club anymore! It has gone the way of Wally World and all the others that was started with really good intentions and integrity but became “gimme yer money”! It is the sad reality of the modern retail dynamic. It is no longer take car3 of the customer although they swear it is!
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #17
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Camping World is great at selling RV's and making a lot of promises about their "great" service departments. Personal experience has led me to believe that they are OK to purchase from if your are careful, however avoid service departments if possible. Poor workmanship, lack of knowledge and repeated problems at multiple CW locations have led me to have this opinion. Information from others on this forum indicate some are good but I have not found the yet.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #18
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
We did not buy local or from CW, but our experience at CWs from Charleston SC to Tucson AZ and several places in between has been positive. None of our problems have been major but warranty work has always been done without a whimper and other service problems corrected quickly. We have a couple of service shops in our home area; service only, don't sell anything; which I use when we are home. Have also used mobile techs recommended by the campground host with good results. The few times we needed help on the road, I get on the phone and any shop that asks if we bought from them, quickly hang up and never call again.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #19
captl27
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16077
The ongoing saga of our 2015 3725 which developed a problemwith the shower that would not drain the first trip out. The unit was returnedand after waiting too long finally getting it back from Syracuse camping world. Thenthe floor of the shower started to have star cracking by the end of the firstyear. After much back and forth with Keystone they refused to cover the repairI had to go with my camping world extended warranty. At the end of the saga camping world ofKingston said they could not replace the shower and did a horrible job attrying to patch the floor and billing for supporting the floor of the shower. Solast week the shower drain failed to drain again which ended up being a failureof the hepvo trap that had a ripped rubber valve I decided to attack the repairmyself. On emptying compartments and removing compartment walls I gained accessto the area below the shower. To my surpriseI found no sign of any additional support as stated to have been done by KingstonCamping world. The repair took me maybe 3 hours over 2 days which includedwaiting for the part to be delivered. Which does not explain the weeks wewaited for Syracuse Camping world to repair the trap the first time. If you askme I think that they snaked the trap which is a no no and started the rip thatlead to the failure of the trap. If you check my page this had been documentedsince I found out how bad Keystone warranty department is and how horrible our experiencewith camping world service has been.
captl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
how bad was the Keystone warranty department.