Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
gregg-bean
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10647
Solar Panel Install?

We have a 2017 3160rl and looking into solar panels any help?

gregg-bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I added a 7W HF panel to replace what I use to open the slides while in storage.

You may want to add some detail to get a better answer.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I added a 7W HF panel to replace what I use to open the slides while in storage.

You may want to add some detail to get a better answer.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
gregg-bean
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10647
Maybe boondocking for like 5 days what do we need?
Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Depends on what kind of electrical load you expect to have...i.e. how many devices you intend to use and how much current they draw. And how often or long you intend to use them.
You might want to invest in a generator if you will do a lot of boondocking...I have a Predator 3500 watt inverter type which will run just about anything I want (not all at once of course) and just a small 20 watt solar panel for keeping my batteries charged up while in storage (not for off grid camping).
But most of our camping is in RV parks with hookups.
Spend some time doing research, lots to learn if you want to make an informed decision and avoid mistakes.
Of course, budget enters into the picture (for most of us)...it can get pretty expensive pretty quick depending on what you need. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2020, 11:37 PM   #6
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg-bean View Post
Maybe boondocking for like 5 days what do we need?
Again you need to give more info. Do you have an RV fridge or Residential Fridge? Are you wanting to run your microwave, coffee maker, tv? All this matters to give you a better answer for your 5 days of boondocking. Also how many batteries you currently have?
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:57 AM   #7
gregg-bean
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10647
We have a RV frig.Have 2 12volt batteries was thinking of 4 6volt golf cart.Not sure if we could run one a/c unit with solar?
Old 05-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
maybe start here
https://gpelectric.com/wp-content/up...-Worksheet.pdf
Old 05-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #9
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
It’s an admirable goal, but unless you have money to burn, you’d be better off buying 2 Honda 2000s, a parallel kit & an extended run fuel tank kit. Some people like to brag on cheaper generators, but for real world quiet & durability, Hondas are the best in the long run. You’re going to need 3000+ watts of solar to come anywhere near to running an A/C unit, plus a LOT more than 4 golf cart batteries. The general rule of thumb is 66 square feet of solar panels for every 1000 watts. Try to find 200 square feet of usable space on your roof. Then start pricing the panels. You’ll soon decide that it’s not worth it, again, unless you have money to burn. I’m all for saving fossil fuels & everything, solar just isn’t financially feasible yet.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
It’s an admirable goal, but unless you have money to burn, you’d be better off buying 2 Honda 2000s, a parallel kit & an extended run fuel tank kit. Some people like to brag on cheaper generators, but for real world quiet & durability, Hondas are the best in the long run. You’re going to need 3000+ watts of solar to come anywhere near to running an A/C unit, plus a LOT more than 4 golf cart batteries. The general rule of thumb is 66 square feet of solar panels for every 1000 watts. Try to find 200 square feet of usable space on your roof. Then start pricing the panels. You’ll soon decide that it’s not worth it, again, unless you have money to burn. I’m all for saving fossil fuels & everything, solar just isn’t financially feasible yet.
I had no issues placing 4 300 watt panels on my Montana at all. Also if you have the knowledge and can install the solar yourself those 2 Honda generators will cost more then solar. The big expense is if you go Lithium or not.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #11
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg-bean View Post
We have a RV frig.Have 2 12volt batteries was thinking of 4 6volt golf cart.Not sure if we could run one a/c unit with solar?
With you having a RV Fridge that makes things a little easier as the Residential takes a bit of power to run.
I have a Residential Fridge so my setup is as follows, 4 300 watt panels, 3000 Watt inverter, 4 100ah 12V Lithium batteries. This past weekend I boondocked for 3 days with 2 of the days being cloudy so not ideal for solar and charging batteries and I didn’t have to pull out the generator once. I run my microwave, coffee maker and of course furnace and lights off it as well. I will add 2 more batteries. As for running the air conditioner unless you have a huge bank it’s not feasible. I figured I could run mine at night for a few minutes to cool things down enough to get to sleep.
To get panels cheap you could try your local solar contractor they may have extra or had jobs cancel and pick some up cheap that’s what I did and got my panels at a great price.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
The best setup is solar plus a couple of Honda gennies. No one wants to sit around and listen or smell your genny but you need them if you are somewhere you need air.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #13
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjennings View Post
I had no issues placing 4 300 watt panels on my Montana at all. Also if you have the knowledge and can install the solar yourself those 2 Honda generators will cost more then solar. The big expense is if you go Lithium or not.
4 300 watt panels only gets you 1200 watts. Nowhere near enough to run an A/C unit. That was one of the O.P.’s stated goals. Sure, you could run lights & other low demand loads. By the time you buy your 4 panels, charge controller, batteries, wiring, Inverter, etc. you’ll have about the same money in your system as the 2 Honda’s & still not be able to run an A/C unit for any appreciable amount of time. Plus, you can use the generators on a cloudy day, or in the middle of the woods. What’s your solar setup going to do on that cloudy day or in shady conditions?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
The best setup is solar plus a couple of Honda gennies. No one wants to sit around and listen or smell your genny but you need them if you are somewhere you need air.
The best setup is to just plug into a 50 amp outlet, but you can’t take that with you wherever you go, so you weigh your options & your wallet & do what makes the most sense for you. Everyone else be damned.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #15
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
If you are looking to run your AC on battery power and replenish with your PV array you are going to need way more than you have alluded to In your OP
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
Quote:
4 300 watt panels only gets you 1200 watts. Nowhere near enough to run an A/C unit. That was one of the O.P.’s stated goals. Sure, you could run lights & other low demand loads. By the time you buy your 4 panels, charge controller, batteries, wiring, Inverter, etc. you’ll have about the same money in your system as the 2 Honda’s & still not be able to run an A/C unit for any appreciable amount of time. Plus, you can use the generators on a cloudy day, or in the middle of the woods. What’s your solar setup going to do on that cloudy day or in shady conditions?
It was very cloudy this passed weekend in the woods and it worked just fine. Solar still produces power during over cast days. My house solar even produces power on cloudy days.
And air conditioning can be ran off solar but your battery bank will depend on how long. I can run mine 20 minutes to cool at night for sleeping. I do keep a generator for emergencies but have not had to use it. But no one wants to listen to a generator running all day either.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
You are not running your AC unilt off of Solar. You running it off your batteries. Solar is just a silent way to recharge your batteries
Old 05-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #18
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
You are not running your AC unilt off of Solar. You running it off your batteries. Solar is just a silent way to recharge your batteries
I get the concept, but in order to run the A/C any appreciable amount of time, (more than just 20 minutes) you’re going to need a boat load of both. I’ve done the math & it doesn’t work out for me. I like my creature comforts & solar just doesn’t have the output to fill my wants & needs at a reasonable price point. That’s the great thing about living in America. You’re allowed to have your opinion & I'm allowed to have mine.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #19
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
If you are out boondocking during hot weather others will be running their gennies so don't worry about that. For great info, find a RV solar dealer near you, give them a call for an appointment to come in and get an estimate to find out what you need and,the cost. It will take a lot of guess work out of getting your solar "knowledge".
Old 05-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #20
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I have run my AC for 5 hrs while in Badlands last summer. I have 1200 watts of solar, you won’t get that even on the best day. I have 700ah of LiFePO4 with a 3C discharge rate. I was pulling just about 100dc amps I could run both units if I absolutely had to. Each AC unit has a Micro-Air EasyStart to minimize starting current.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote