Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
How much side to side motion/tilt can you get with a Goosebox

This is a question fr goosebox owners.

My B&W Companion will only tilt so far the the side. I need to measure it but I believe it it less than 20 degrees.

On a goosebox how much of an angle will the goosebox allow the camper to go side to side?

if you say have 7" between truck side rail and bottom of camper, will the goosebox allow enough movement to allow the camper to hit the truck?

I had a situation backing into a campsite and the hitch stopped the side tilt before the truck and camper kissed.

I am wondering if the goosebox would do the same.

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #2
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I have the 20k Reese Goosebox sitting on a B&W offset ball (shortbed Megacab) but I really have no idea about how much side tilt it would allow, sorry.

I'm pretty sure I don't have 7" of clearance either...

So far, I'm very happy with the setup and how well it works with this truck, but I haven't really experienced any situations with severe side angles yet...

I will say it take some time to get the hang of hitching up without a spotter.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I have the Curt Gooseneck with an Anderson hitch and with the ball in the lowest of three available settings, I have 9" of clearance from the bottom of the 5th wheel to the top of my bed rails
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
I have the Curt Gooseneck with an Anderson hitch and with the ball in the lowest of three available settings, I have 9" of clearance from the bottom of the 5th wheel to the top of my bed rails
I have my Anderson on the lowest and I have about 6". at that my trailer is ever so slightly nose high a quick glance and you would never notice. how are you getting so much clearance ? did you adjust the suspension of the trailer ?

Upland in Riverside county?

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
I have the 20k Reese Goosebox sitting on a B&W offset ball (shortbed Megacab) but I really have no idea about how much side tilt it would allow, sorry.

I'm pretty sure I don't have 7" of clearance either...

So far, I'm very happy with the setup and how well it works with this truck, but I haven't really experienced any situations with severe side angles yet...

I will say it take some time to get the hang of hitching up without a spotter.
Thank you
Old 05-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
To be honest I have more concern about the tailgate clearance than the sides. In my RV storage lot there is pretty steep section on one of the access roads and at the top as my truck crests the hill and the trailer is still on the slope, the "break-over" angle gets the underside of the trailer pretty darn close to the tailgate! I could use a couple more inches, ideally.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
I have my Anderson on the lowest and I have about 6". at that my trailer is ever so slightly nose high a quick glance and you would never notice. how are you getting so much clearance ? did you adjust the suspension of the trailer ?

Upland in Riverside county?

Tony
I have no idea why i have so much. I started with the highest setting, and then dropped it down to the lowest setting, which the RV salesman agreed was the best position.
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
To be honest I have more concern about the tailgate clearance than the sides. In my RV storage lot there is pretty steep section on one of the access roads and at the top as my truck crests the hill and the trailer is still on the slope, the "break-over" angle gets the underside of the trailer pretty darn close to the tailgate! I could use a couple more inches, ideally.
Yes i think the tailgate clearance will be about the same. I got into one spot where the truck was twisted side to side with the camper and mu current hitch saved my siderail. I was wondering if a goosebox would have just let me crunch it
Old 05-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Intuitively, it seems like the Goosebox and ball setup would not be as restrictive in the side to side motion and could therefore allow some contact on the bed side rails if you got into that severe of a situation...
I could be wrong, but that is my impression. Never been in that much of a side angle though so I can't say from personal experience.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Intuitively, it seems like the Goosebox and ball setup would not be as restrictive in the side to side motion and could therefore allow some contact on the bed side rails if you got into that severe of a situation...
I could be wrong, but that is my impression. Never been in that much of a side angle though so I can't say from personal experience.
Thanks that is why I asked. That is the one thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on one. I asked ion hopes someone could allay my fears