Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Nellis AFB

Heading out tomorrow for Las Vegas. Curious if anyone has stayed at Nellis. Hoping it a good time.

Tony

2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
Good desert style campground with wagon wheel layout (back-ins) and pull-thrus on outer side of circles. Good laundry mat and a shopette down the road on the Northside of the base/housing. The gate is on the highway and is a major obstacle course to go down the lane and return to the gate to squeeze through the barrier. It looks worse than it is with a 40 footer behind you. The main stores are across the highway, so you have to leave one side and go through the ID check each time. That part of town is not impressive, especially the Walmart visit. Henderson, Samstown and the Strip require negotiating the interstates and paying for parking on the strip. The MWR's have raised their fees and at some point one has to ask what's the benefit of going through gate/security hassles, when a few dollars more you can stay at other convenient sites. I would stay there again for short visits.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
great place. we loved it.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
There are two sections to Desert Eagle RV Park. The old section is a wagon wheel design, as previously mentioned, with old growth trees. Some shade at most sites good shade at some sites. There is a mix of back-in and pull-thru sites. Plenty of room between sites. The wagon wheel roads are a little tight with a 40’ + RV following you. Watch the big rocks on the curves. The new section has no shade and mostly all pull-thrus that are closer together. Easy to maneuver in that area.

If you’ve never been to Vegas before, the “strip” is only about a half mile long. Park off the strip and walk. Also, if you’ve ever watched Pawn Stars, (not close to the strip) the shop is nowhere the size it appears on tv. (lots smaller)

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Made it. I’m at the new section. Pull through site. Nice and quiet here ! Quite a few Montana’s here too. So far so good !
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 11-25-2019, 11:06 PM   #6
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
We stayed there twice and love it.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #7
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
So far it’s great !! Aside from the wind killing my flag pole....
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Great, so what's the weather like, is it still hot?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #9
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatacus View Post
Great, so what's the weather like, is it still hot?
NOPE !! A high of 52-57 today. It is sunny !!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Well, I will take 57 degrees and sunny right now I know that we stay in the old section and not the new section that they just add on. So how long are you planning on staying there, I would love to be there myself I have some friends that live there? Hope you enjoy your stay and don't forget to eat plenty of good food.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Were here till Friday morning then head back. Still figuring out what to do for thanksgiving... so many decisions LOL Were in the new section in a handicap spot large pad. The old section does look nice with all the trees. For the daily rate they charge I will for sure be back !!! Very nice.

Tony
Old 11-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #12
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Good to hear and I know we will be back also, the trees give some shade from the sun that's why we like the old section, well sir enjoy your stay and safe travel going back.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
Heading out tomorrow for Las Vegas. Curious if anyone has stayed at Nellis. Hoping it a good time.

Tony
Even though I am retired Marine I have not stayed at Nelis. I have stayed at the Clark County Shooting Range (shotgun) which has 50 or more full hookup sites in a gated area for $25 a night. And Best it is about 600 to 1000 feet higher than Las Vegas with a great view. Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #14
Oldsoldier
Established Member

M.O.C. #20018
While there, recommend you go to Valley of Fire State Park, about 45 minutes North of Las Vegas. Stayed there a few times and always enjoy it. Very impressive solar energy R&D facility near the campground. Las Vegas sucks, but lots of pleasurable places to go. Other great places near there if you enjoy getting out to actually do things. Depending on your trip itinerary, an excellent side trip stay is Yuma Proving Ground campground. Lake Mitry outside Yuma also has the USMC campground and marina.
Oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #15
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Are these military campgrounds only for retired military or can us plan old vets also stay there?
Just celebrated last month 50 years since my separation.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
In General response, you must have an acceptable government identification to enter a military installation in the form of a retired military ID, Active Duty, Reserve or DOD. However, with new procedures to allow Veterans only to enter and shop at the commissary and exchanges through a VA ID or other documentation will be in affect in the New Year. This does not convey the use of MWR facilities for campgrounds as far as I know.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #17
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
From what I was reading, if you have a service related disability and have a Veteran's Health Identity Card, we may be eligible, but if they allow access they are still discussing what priority level that would be at.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #18
Oldsoldier
Established Member

M.O.C. #20018
Military campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Are these military campgrounds only for retired military or can us plan old vets also stay there?
Just celebrated last month 50 years since my separation.
Essentially, military campgrounds are for Active, Reserve/National Guard, and retirees. Gets a bit sticky from there. Not all accept the same groups: some also accept Civil Service employees; most/all accept Coast Guard and NASA. This new change to VA categories is still in flux: if you qualify for certain VA identification cards, you can access the exchange (AAFES and NEX) and commissaries. But to qualify for access, you must meet VA requirements (and I don’t want to try to explain anything related to the VA as the VA is half crazy at best....the VA can’t even explain many items internal to the VA). Haven’t seen anything from the VA about campgrounds/Famcamps; hobby shops; marinas; or other leisure resources. The “plain old veteran” category doesn’t qualify for anything. Lot of pressure from some active, reserve, and retired folks complaining about any access at all. Common point is, other veterans had the option of staying in or getting out. I don’t necessarily agree with that theory, but there aren’t sufficient resources for the people who always qualified. AAFES and NES likely want the additional customers to make profits, but campgrounds, gyms, hobby shops, etc would be drowned. Hard enough to get into campgrounds/Famcamps anyhow. A lot of people “homestead” there, making it hard for those who travel. Homesteading is actually illegal, but many installation Commanders don’t push the regulations. The military campgrounds/Famcamps are a great option to civilian campgrounds. Most are cleaner, have decent facilities (shower/latrine, electrical connections, marinas, etc) at better coast than any civilian campground (although there are some s***holes...pardon the Trumpism). I’ve heard far too many civilians gripe about our “bennies”, but the exchanges, hobby shops, campgrounds, etc exist for military personnel, and are funded by military personnel using the facilities. Any direct profit goes to maintain/improve facilities, provide R&R-type activities for soldiers. All too often, some installation commanders take profits for installation operation costs, leaving some R&R operations shortchanged (technically a major no-no). For those who qualify, the Coast Guard and NASA have the same type facilities; military can use theirs, and they can use ours. Reciprocal. It’s going to be interesting to see what shakes out over the VA issue, but I doubt anything will be available to plain old vets. There just aren’t enough facilities available for all that many people. I never stay at a civilian campground if military is available: cheaper; usually inside the perimeter fence; military police patrol; close to the exchanges/commissary; and there will always be another service member to visit with. Long answer, sorry
Oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #19
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Thanks for the info Oldsoldier. I'm very much OK with that, I just wanted to clarify it and make sure I wasn't missing out on something. I did my time and then chose to get out. You guys stayed for the long haul and I feel you should get every benefit possible. I also was thinking if all vets could access these things that it would be so jammed up the active and retirees could get blocked out.
Many people have thanked me for my service but I in turn also thank career vets that sacrificed much more and also the families that sacrifice at home.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:05 AM   #20
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
We stay there twice and love it, well the last time we were there it was hot and with one a/c didn't help that was when we had the other fiver.We made it okay, I was in the military for twenty-eight years and love it, well some of it anyway. Life is very good now and I would go back in if I could.