Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2005, 03:40 AM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
CB radios

I am wondering how many of you have CB's in your TV's while traveling? I call out to the TV's pulling Montanas but have yet to get a comeback.
I know through the years the language and topics on CB have degraded considerability.
The descent people are leaving giving the idiots the numerical advantage. I love it when someone stands up and tells the idiots to clean up their language. Suprising many do. There are plenty that use the audiance to be even more vulgar. I would like to see the numerical advantage back to descent people.
Stand up for descency!!! Do not sit on your rights.
Rick

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We keep ours set to channel 19 and squelched to just allow the stronger local transmissions to be heard. That way if another Montana happens upon us we will still be able to hear them. If I see them first I'll call on channel 19 and if no response switch to channel 13 and try again. By the way, channel 13 is "supposed" to be the RV channel but only on a rare occasion do we find anyone on it.

My CB has saved me a lot of time by notifying me of an accident or other traffic back up allowing me to take a detour. And of course the old "Brush your teeth and come your hair because Smoky's taking your picture at mile post 234" also is another reason for having it.
As far as the idiots and there trash talk I try to ride through it. If they are headed in the opposite direction it usually doesn't last that long. If they are headed in the same direction I'll find a rest area and let them get well ahead of me.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We have a CB in our truck and also a handheld one. We usually forget to turn it on (CRS). We used them to commuicate to each other when backing into a site. Now we just use the walkie talkies. I guess we just got tired of all the chatter but do turn it on if we see a traffic problem. Nice to have for emergencies.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
WE USED TO USE CB RADIOS WHILE TRAVELING DOWN THE ROAD BECAUSE WE TRAVEL WITH THE PICK-UP AND CAMPER AND MARY FOLLOWS ALONG BEHIND IN THE HONDA ACCORD (FULLTIMERS WE NEED A CAR WHEN WE GET THERE). A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO WE UPGRADED TO HAM. WE HAVE A COUPLE OF HAND HELD HAM RADIOS AND I'M HAPPY TO REPORT THAT I'VE NOT BEEN BACK IN A GIFT SHOP SINCE !!! ANYWAY WHEN WE USED CB'S WE PUT A BIG POSTER ON THE BACK WINDOW THAT SAID "CB #13". WE HAVE LOT'S STORIES ABOUT PEOPLE ON THE ROAD CHANGING TO CHANNEL #13 TO SAY "HELLO" OR TRUCKERS ANSWERING QUESTIONS. MY FAVORITE STORY IS MARY FOLLOWING BEHIND IN KANSAS AND TELLING ME ABOUT AN UNMARKED POLICE CAR PASSING ME AND ASKING IF I SAW THE ROW OF LIGHTS ACROSS THE BACK WINDOW? THE TROOPER HAD SWITCHED TO CHANNEL #13 BECAUSE OF OUR SIGN AND FLIPPED THEM ON FOR ME TO SEE CLEARLY, AND JUST KEPT GOING. :-)
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We have a CB and a HAM radio installed in the truck. We keep the CB on channel 19 when towing. For backing up, we have a pair of FRS radios.

The CB has been useful on several occasions...aside from knowing where the "Bears" are at. We've hit some construction traffic in different areas and got advice from some of the truckers on how to get around the problem areas.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
When we are on the Interstate Highways, we have the CB on 19.
When we get off the interstate i will usually turn it off after a while. I dont usually hear anyone once we leave the Interstate.
I have called to a few campers before, but have never gotten a responce.
doesnt seam like too many campers have them on.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:04 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We use 19 when travelling. Like Glenn, it has saved us a few times from getting into a parking lot due to accidents. Don't go fast enough to worry about Smokies.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have our CB on when were traveling. It is usually on 19 but have 13 handy if someone calls us. Were like Glenn and keep the noise down and listen to everyone around us. It helps us with the traffic. We don't go fast enough to be a threat to the state police.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475RL Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 AM   #9
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
We just got a CB this year for xmas. It has been approx. 9 years since our last one . I wasn't sure what channel most people used . It used to be #14 & #19, so thanks for the post.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I was an avid CBer years ago...in fact, when I started, you had to have a license. We had one in all the vehicles and a large one at home, giant antennas, towers with rotars to direct your conversation, and talk "skip" all over North America. As the type conversation and use degraded I totally got out of the business, sold all my stuff, and have not had any interest until the last few months. At one time, the use of a CB was a really great thing and it was always credited with helping someone. Glad to see that some folks want to stand up, and take back the right of usage. I just may get one again very soon.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We have one in our truck. If were traveling solo I put it on 19. If we are caravaning with some of our club somewhere we use 13. If that gets busy we will all switch to another.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I have one under the rear seat. Haven't found a good permanent antenna yet for the CB to warrant mounting it. Like to use it for road problems when I see a backup and sometimes to avoid it altogether.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:38 PM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
We have both CB and Ham. I will monitor 19 for highway information. Try to keep my speed at the posted limit or max 5 over when towing. Ann does not like the static noise so it is squelched tight and may catch about a half mile down the road as long as the truckers traffic is light. If it gets bad I have to turn it off until I need to find out a status.

I use the Cobra one hander. Got it from Campers World for $50 on a sale special. It works well and easy to hang off the cigarette lighter.

We use the Ham for backing into spots KO4A behind the wheel and N3BYT telling him where to go.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:38 AM   #14
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We are like FredG. A CB in the truck for over the road and FRS radios for close in maneuvering. If anyone should take the Caravan Tours trip down the Baja, they will want you to have a CB so they can talk to all in the caravan.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote