Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
Apollo 1/2 time ovens

Why does montana continue to put this product in a quality 5th wheel.Ours quit today 13 months after we purchased the unit and we have only used it 5 months.This is not very good quality for the money we invest in your product.

texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Maybe you just have a dud - we have been living in our MOnty for a year and a half using the microwave a lot. And only thing we have had to fix is the door opening switch - called and they sent the part free.

Laura

Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
Rocky you said microwave was used a lot,we did not use the microwave much but used the 1/2 time oven maybe 20 times over the period and that is just not enough for a 300.00 price tag.I will replace it but with extended warranty this time around.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
We used both our 1/2 Time oven and Microwave fairly regularly -- it lasted about a year and a half before breaking down. Luckly we had an extended warranty on all our appliances we were able to replace it free of charge --- hope the new one lasts longer.

Julie
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours lasted about 8 months then dropped dead.Hummm Extended warranty, never thought about that.If I can get Apollo to keep repairing or sending me new ones for another 4 months I can then get a good one using our extended warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is only 4 months old but doing fine so far and we absolutely love it. The gas oven is relegated to storage. If the 1/2 time dies on us we'll have to decide whether to replace with the same thing. We would replace it unless it appears problems will be the norm.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Ours is only 4 months old but doing fine so far and we absolutely love it. The gas oven is relegated to storage. If the 1/2 time dies on us we'll have to decide whether to replace with the same thing. We would replace it unless it appears problems will be the norm.
Same here...you can store lots of stuff in that oven.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just a note if you have not used your Camper regular oven yet.. We had to use ours for the first time since our Apollo is dead.Don't know what they coat it with, some kind of oil or something but it filled the camper with smoke(this is getting old) and a foul smell.Had to run all the fans and open all the windows to get the smoke and smell out.. Check out before use....
Old 12-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
We have used it as a microwave and a half time oven probably about the same amount - lately I have been using the half time oven quite a bit.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The nice ladies name at Apollo Warranty is Lynn Phone # 547-472-4283.She is very helpful. She determined that I needed 4 parts for our failed Apollo and she sent out three of them. 3 out of 4 is not bad??? She said the part she did not send will not interfere with the operation of the Micro wave but may cause leakage of micro waves so I should not stand in front of the micro wave while micro waving..assuming that it will
work after said repair???
Old 12-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Rich, I wonder if there is a problem with your oven? We have never had that happen in any camper we have owned. Please be careful.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Any microwave that is repaired has to have a leakage test performed before it can be used by the end user.If Apollo sends you the parts they should be doing the installation of them also.Have worked on appliances for many years and the new microwaves and 1/2 time ovens are pretty much junk from overseas.True, not near as many parts in them now but; Amana invented the Microwave rotowave system and we always performed the tests and recorded them before the end user got the product back.It will take quite a bit of leakage and many years of use to probably affect you but;why take the chance.Secondly,how can someone trouble-shoot these things over the phone unless they have known problems.Just be careful Rich, these things are relatively eay to work on, just be sure you use a static strap so the electronics will not be harmed.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The part in question is the plastic strip that goes around the inside of the front door Apollo calls it a "door Choke" It is a very brittle plastic and breaks easily. Apollo repairs nothing.. They arranged for a local appliance repair facility to replace the magnatron and Ckt board. I refused to do it myself,(they did a very good job) Apollo forgot to send the "door Choke" which had broken and suggested that We should not stand in front of the oven when micro waving..wasn't that nice of them.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Rich,

I am wondering why they are sending you parts for your oven. Ours died with the microwave and the convection not coming on. They replaced our entire oven at our dealership. Our oven would not work without the plastic rim on the door.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is the course of action Lynn at Apollo took, in our case and the "door choke " is a seal to inhibit Micro wave leakage. The micro wave and the rest of the functions will work without it unless it is improperly installed. .The lesson learned is that if you have a good dealer , Go through the dealer,, we do but chose to work through Apollo since they are the Vendor, Apollo acted quickly and lynn was very professional in her handling of our problem..I don't think that we would have got a new oven any quicker than we had it repaired and we had a qualified service person to repair it and look the rest of it over.We feel better about this repaired one than we would about a replacement
Old 01-02-2007, 04:08 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well after Apollo sending our new parts and the oven being repaired by a local repair facility it worked for 2 1/2 days and failed again. Lynn, the nice lady at Apollo is working on the issue again. This is another one of those isolated incidents and Montana is not at fault as it is a vendor supplied item and we should not let the little things bother us and go about enjoying our RV experience..Without a 1/2 time oven of course..Of course on the positive side we have been on the road 22 days and the Apollo has worked for 4 1/2 of them. Enough of this negative stuff.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #17
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
So she was willing to accept the liability of your getting fried, but your oven works (or worked, LOL!)? How nice. Have you seen the other threads on this POJ? I went through Apollo, too, when mine went south, but I wonder if we shouldn't be going through Keystone? That would at least make them aware of the problem.

It was my understanding, too, that the unit wouldn't work without the choke in place. (Of course, they don't work anyway, but that's beside the point.) Good luck!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are curious as to what "Lynn" will do this time.We have not heard from her yet today. We will go through our dealer the next time it fails.. The oven will not work if the choke becomes miss- aligned as it will not allow the door to completely close tripping the interlock switch but it will work if not there at all. Of course at the risk of being transformed into the swamp thing.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well.. There is good news and bad news. The good news is Lynn the nice lady at Apollo will send us a brand new Apollo 1/2 time oven.The bad news is Lynn the nice lady at Apollo will send us a brand new Apollo 1/2 time oven.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Rich,

I'm glad to see you're keeping a sense of humor during all these "isolated incidents". As to the leaking microwaves, you and Helen weren't planning on starting a family were you? Maybe you could put the bird cage in front of the 1/2 Time Apollo - if he kills over you know you've got a problem and since the bird hates you, there'd be no love lost. Kind of like a canary in a mine. Uh-Oh I think I'm getting a call from the PETA people.

Anyway, maybe the Apollo 1/2 Time Oven is just living up to its name. IT ONLY WORKS 1/2 THE TIME. The rest of the time it is being repaired. Hopefully, Lynn will get you taken care of soon. In the meantime, just think of all the nice people you've met while getting your coach repaired. Let's see there's Lynn at Apollo, Bob the fireman, Joe down at the RV repair shop and.......
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote