Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #21
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Art, just made some comments on the 6.4 diesel with our experiences on two of them, a dually and a single wheel. If there was a good market and demand for an engine brake, I am sure "Banks", a very reputable aftermarket parts company, would be selling the product. With the high number of Oilfield trucks in this area, plus some of the most difficult terrain and heavy load usage of trucks, we have yet to encounter anyone or companies that are using engine brakes on their 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks.

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If I can get better information about what RPMs are acceptable, you are right that I wouldn't be as desperate for an exhaust brake and should just use the tapping of the brakes when using Tow/Haul mode.

I have been in touch with Banks Engineering and consider their products better than most. I have used their products on another truck as have friends and family and there were never any issues and their performance was nothing less than stellar. But two different reps with Banks I have talked in 2005 and 2006 mentioned they were having difficulty getting an exhaust brake working for the Powerstroke diesel. That didn't imply they didn't want to do it, it implied there was more work to do and hence I have been waiting.

I have added a boatload of improvements to my truck. NONE of them were needed, but I am happy to have them because all of them improve what I had. I will be happy to continue to add some if their application improves the stock configuration. Exhausts brakes are only under evaluation by me at this time.

Thanks all for your comments. They have been great, as expected!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When I had a 2005 F250 I saved this chart on my system. It doesn't state redline but gives some clues.

The dieselmann Ford diesel site says 4100 rpm is the redline. If I recall, Dieselmann is a Ford Diesel Master Mechanic, or something like that.
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60psd.htm

www.ford-trucks.com says it is the official Ford truck site. It doesn't show a redline but says the max hp is at 3300 rpm, so redline is at least that high.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/200...er_duty_1.html

I know mine hit 3800 a few times climbing steep hills when towing but don't recall seeing a redline on the tach.

Bottom line, I don't know the answer. But I think Dieselmann is pretty knowledgeable and reliable so I'd bet he's pretty close.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #24
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks much Steve... I think the number I am going to stay under is 3,500. That seems to be the number to stay under, even though I have heard 3,600 and 4,000 are limits. Since I try to allow for margin, I should be good with 3,500.

Unfortunately, when it comes to fixing problems I believe a dealer tries to find an "out" much faster than they try to find themselves at fault. Anything to get my dollar, and blaming something else or someone else is a popular "out".

Thanks for the information and the links. Those will help me substantiate my position to be comfortable and safe.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
3500 makes sense, Art, especially since there is a serious power dropoff above that level. I recall that at 3800 the engine was screaming and I don't like to hear that. It just doesn't smack of longevity. My Dodge would likely blow up at that rpm since it redlines at 3200. But, then, it tows up those same hills at under 2500. Just a difference in engine design, I guess. Here's one of the hills the Ford was screaming at 3800... This picture was taken at the top (Utah highway 12) after we reached the top.

Your Ford should handle the load on nearly any hill you encounter. There is one we saw in May in Branson, though, that I would probably avoid. It is signed at 19%. Southbound MO 376, just north of MO 265.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote