Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
dish tv

I just had a diretv to my monty with the tripod setup with two receiver's one being a dvr and the other a standard question is what do I have to do when I snowbird from NY to FL.Is there a printed procedure somewhere to follow.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
How much a month is that costing? We have been kicking getting a dish set-up for the Monty and the stick house. The only reason we haven't to date is because we can't get as good DSL connection for the computer as we currently have with the cable.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have the Directv set up at home and also have the cable service for cable-modem only. Go to Directv.com for detailed set-up instructions based on your specific satellite dish. It is pretty simple really, plug receiver to TV turn on, go to set-up menu to enter zip code for where you are and the receiver display will tell you the azimuth, elevation and (skew if you have multi-LNB dish) settings. You will need a good compass to determine azimuth off of.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Garyka,

We have DirecTV with two standard receivers. We simply move them into our rig when we travel. We have our dish mounted on a tripod. We just take the tripod with us and hook up to cables in the rig when we get to our destination.

You do have to do a setup when you get to new location. We do ours a couple of ways. If we know our exact longitude and latitude we use that otherwise we use the city or zip code. The setup process is chosen from the MENU. It is a relatively quick and easy process.

The first couple of times it was a challenge but after that we have had no trouble. As a matter of fact if we don't hit the bird within 5 minutes we're surprised.

We do like to have our satellite television system. We have the east coast and west coast feeds. The wife loves to have the ability to watch some of her favorite programs 3 hours early.

Enjoy,

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Thanks for the help,I like to gather information before I try things.I guess the easiest way for longitude and latitude would be to use the gps
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have DirecTV with local channels. When we get to a campground, we call DirecTV and give them our zip code and they switch our locals to the area we are in.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We have Verizon Fios for Phone and Internet, didn't have TV when it was offered which made me happy as I already had DirecTV.

Continue to get phone calls from CableTV with offers I'm not supposed to refuse...so I ask them "How long is the coax that is included, follows with a bit of a pause, I then hit them with my RV requires TV feed and DirecTV goes where-ever I go let me know when you can include this requirement".

Regarding dish setups...I have;

Tripod for those places I "Trust" my neighbors

Lash-up #1 for when I don't

Current Lash-up #2 as its easier
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Best way we found to get the latitude and longitude was to go online to Directv and type in your zipcode. Or when you turn on the receiver go to set up and punch in yuor zip code. Will automatically give you the longitude and latitude.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Boylanag

How do you get DTV to change the local channels to the area you are residing? We have made that call more than once, and can get no where with them. Tried asking for a supervisor, same answer, tried going to tech support, same answer.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
You'll love these URLs if you're a tripod user:

http://satcalculator.freehostia.com/ (This one even compensates automatically for magnetic deviation!!)

http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm on Dish Network. I can't get local channels once I leave the spot beam area. I called Dish and they referred me to so other company. When I talked to them they quoted $69.95. All I want is ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

I have the King Dome and wish I had gotten a Weingarten Tri-LNB.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #12
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/

Try the link above.
I have this on my Dish Network......I get all the networks, both eastern & western...about 12 dollars a month....or go to channel #240 for information.....you have to sign a waiver for your RV.

Lambchop
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:01 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Roy and Kay,
Thanks for the info. I read it as $75 for 6 months for 4 networks.

I think it's a shame that we (all of us) pay for the service already and then can't get it because we travel. I have heard others say DirectTV just requires a zip code. I'm tired of getting nickel and dimed to death.

Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
We purchased a VuQube and think it is pretty sweet (for what it is). We just plunk it on a table or on the ground, then use a remote to set the elevation and azimuth. It weighs like 9 pounds and has a grab handle so you can pick it up and stow it away in a heartbeat.
Right now ours is bungee-corded to the top of the ladder and sitting on the roof (so we could get a clear shot at southwest).
DirecTV gave us our (new)local channels right while I was on the phone with them, and we haven't had an issue with getting our programming ... except ... the little VuQube does not pull down HD data at all. So .. we'll have to wait to collect some more aluminum cans so we can get a more exotic solution for high-definition.

You don't really need your lat/lon coordinates either, as the DirecTV on-screen setup guide will give you the altitude/azimuth settings based on zip code alone.

I think the only trick I had to deal with was telling the setup program that I had changed from a 5-LNB oval dish to a round one. The the owner's manual for the VuQube had me make sure I was chasing the right satellite (101) and the right transponder (19).
It all worked right out of the box after I figured out the Monty's cable wiring plan.
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #15
branmo6x
Established Member

M.O.C. #5995
WE HAVE DISH NETWORK , WHEN WE GET SET UP IN TEXAS WE CALL AND
CHANGE OUR ADDRESS AND WE RECIEVE THE LOCALS IN THAT AREA.
IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES TO CHANGE. WHEN WE GET BACK HOME
WE CHANGE BACK. MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE NOT
USING THE EQUIPMENT AT BOTH ADDRESSES.
branmo6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bw2

Boylanag

How do you get DTV to change the local channels to the area you are residing? We have made that call more than once, and can get no where with them. Tried asking for a supervisor, same answer, tried going to tech support, same answer.

Though I know people do it, I've been told by DirecTv in no uncertain terms can I do it. I've tried it three different times, hoping I'd get a different person each time. I don't want to get into any kind of argument with anyone. If there are those who do it and are successful, then you go for it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is a hypothetical situation. You have two residences One in say Ohio and one in say..Florida. You spend @ 6 months in each. Your billing and installation address for 6 months is Ohio and your billing and installation address for 6 months is Florida. When you go to Florida you do a change of address. When you return to Ohio you do a change of address. You need not mention what kind of dwelling you live in. Some folks have a trailer in Ohio and a trailer in Florida, some have a stick house in Ohio and a trailer in Florida. It is your residence..what kind is not important..unless you tell them.Then it will be important. If you change locations every month or so or do not change your address this will not work so it will not work for most full timers. If you call them and say... We are in a RV and we are in Columbus, Ohio this week will you switch us to the locals then next week call and say we are now in Pittsburgh, Pa will you change us to the locals. It will not work or they may do it but they will change your billing and installation address every time.

This is all hypothetical of course and not real and it can't happen.

We are watching the Orlando, Fl Local channels as we speak and will for the 6 months we are here. When we return to Ohio we will be watching the Local Cleveland, Ohio channels. I don't know how that happens...must be magic???? Hypothetically of course.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It's because you're near the Magic Kingdom, Rich
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
branmo6x
Established Member

M.O.C. #5995
WHEN I CALL I CHANGE MY BILLING ADDRESS. THIS IS FOR A THREE
MONTH STAY, I'VE DONE THIS FOR FIVE YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS.
IT MIGHT NOT WORK WELL FOR A SHORT STAY
MIKE
branmo6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #20
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Billing and equipment addresses can be two different addresses with DirecTV. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote