Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222
bathroom skylight over shower

Anybody have any good ways to block out all that light, i some time like to sleep late. It lets in alot of light some thing hat you can take off if you would like more light. Rich

rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Richard, I use the foam pink house insulation in all my vents in the winter time. Its pink in color and got it at Home Depot. comes in a 4x8 sheet for just a few dollars. its easy to cut to size with a sharp knife or razor blade. cut it where it fits tight and I use masking tape around the edge. even looks good! lol. but it keeps out light and keeps the warmth in. And oh yea I cut it to fit up inside the frame.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We got a piece of foil bubble wrap that was manufactured with a nice edge to cover the door window. Then, I took the screws out of the plastic housing surrounding the skylight, and used these screws to screw pieces of velcro to the housing. Then the bubble wrap piece got pieces of velcro (mating part). Now, we cover in evening and remove in morning when taking a shower.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I read in 10 Minute Tech, Vol 3, of a RV'er Ross Owens of Navan, Ontario who made a sliding cover. It was all made of wood and stained to look like original trim work. If you are interested I'll send you the article in an email.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Richard, I, too, bought the same cover as Michael & Kathy, however, I just use velcro on the skylight frame and on the cover. I did use the industrial strength velcro and have been putting it on and taking it off for the last 8 months with no problems. Does an adequate job, still lets in just a scosh of light, but not enough to wake me.....Got the cover from Camping World, but I am sure you can get them at any RV supply as they are pretty standard. Hope this helps and happy RVing...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I never felt a need to see sky when showering so I dropped the interior plastic shell and placed a dark blue bath towel on top of the shell and then reinstalled it. Sandwiched between the inner and outer shells, it keeps the area cooler in the summer heat and blocks that darned early morning sun.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I cut cardboard to fit a little oversize and press it over the skylights in the bath/bedroom. I also have some for the side windows near the head of the bed. Works great, easy to store and are free.
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
We went to WalMart & got a piece of foam board, not quite 1/4" thick but is plasticized on both sides, then cut to fit & put it over the skylight. Used rotating levers on screws to hold it in place. Easy to remove when we want to, but sometimes don't & the plastic coating keeps moisture from soaking in. Was inexpensive, easy to install/uninstall, & lets us sleep past sunrise!!! mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #9
weisenberger
Established Member

M.O.C. #5752
We used in the shower some wide vinyl shelf liner, came in several colors and textures. Choose a light tan which still blocks out the full sun and makes bedroom area cooler, but still lets in enough light to see while taking a shower. Over the two vent openings we purchased the retractable ones you can purchase at campming world, they don't block out all the light, besides who sleeps in while camping.
weisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
I cut up a sun shade that you use in your car windows and velcro'd it. I can take it down during the day, and pop it on in the evening.
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
Dmax07
Established Member

M.O.C. #7949
We used insulation board from Lowes or Home Depot with foil on one side and foam pipe insulation. Cut out the board to fit minus the foam pipe insulation thickness. Cut the foam pipe insulation to fit the entire perimeter. Glue the pipe insulation onto the board. When you finish you should have a board with a round bumper all the way around the board. When finished press it into place in the skylight. Cuts out the light and insulates too. It installs and removes with ease.
Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
LAURA
Established Member

M.O.C. #1304
Remove the skylight and paint it with white plastic fusion paint as many coats as needed to darken the room.
This paint works real well on stove or refrigater covers that have turned yellow green with age
LAURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Everyone is entitled to do whatever pleases them in their particular climate, but for us, we like the extra light and being able to see the sky in the morning. Wish we had one in the living area too.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey John- you can always take out the livingroom A/C and install a new skylight! Of course it could get a little warm come a month or so down the road but you can still see the sky! LOL Really, I enjoy the sky also but like to have it darker in the morning since I don't get up at the crack of dawn anymore. I've taken the foiled bubble wrap insulation from any of the hardware or home improvement stores and stapled velcro onto the edges in spots and them mounted velcro to the ceiling or around the opening that matches the stapled velcro and stick the sucker up! If I want light early, I just don't put it up in the evening! I do take it down when we shower. It's even nice to put up in the afternoon if you want to use the bed for a little nap to get you by! We don't have the second A/C in the bedroom so we also have the same thing covering the vent there. Also keeps the sum from heating up the bedroom. I can open the vent and still get some air in but keep the light out! Going to check on putting the bubble wrap on the two windows at the head of the bed also to keep out that light in the morning! We'll see how that works!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Oops! Hit the post button twice! Must be time to go to sleep! Night all!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I like the idea of the wooden slide cover. I would definately install one. It is hard to work second shift and get any sleep when that sun comes shooting through the skylight.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
10 Minute Tech, Volume 3, has a picture and instructions on the wooden slide one. Looks good in the book. I'm just not that handy.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #18
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Having our bathroom area a bit separate from the bedroom since we have an older model Montana, we don't really get bothered by the light from the sky light in the shower. Also having those double sliding doors in the bedroom allows us the luxury of shutting out any light from that area, so we don't find the shower sky light to be a problem at all. Maybe it's also because we have a 6 foot half moon window above our door wall in our stick house bedroom and are used to having light in our bedroom in the morning. Thank goodness it's a western exposure.

That's one reason our next Montana if we're ever fortunate enough to get one will be the a private bath model, as I assume it will be similar to our old "Sky."

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote