Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
2nd A/C

Well it is finally done. Picked up my coach today from the dealership after having some minor adjustments done, and my 2nd a/c installed. Sure looks good from the inside, fired up the a/c and was amazed at how much airflow comes out of that baby. I tried the heat strip, but so far it has not really produced much warm air. Going to stop by the dealership next week to have it double checked. Hope this will help keep the coach much cooler this summer.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
a couple of questions..

how warm/humid does it get (in essence, where/when do you camp)??

How much did the unit cost?

Did they tap into any duct work? or just have it dump into the room?
John Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
The temps where I summer run 85-105 during the months of July and August. We do not get much humidity up here in eastern Washington, but we do get plenty of sunshine. =) The unit ran $835 including tax for the Dometic low-profile 13.5K btu with heat strip. It is not connected to the duct work, dumps right into the bedroom. This baby has 4 directional vents that can be closed independently or all open for maximum air flow. There are 3 fan only speeds, 3 a/c speeds, and 1 heat option along with 6 temperature settings. I am hoping it will just over power the front half of the coach, from other members here they claim it will be more than enough having the 13.5k btu vs. the 15k I was originally wanting to have installed.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congrats on the new A/C. It won't take long to really glad you got it. With the second unit, you have a chance to "zone" your cooling, i.e., closing your door and allowing the maqin thermostat be turned higher at night while having ample cooling in the BR.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are having that same 2nd A/C installed in our ordered 3400rl by the dealer. The dealer ordered the 3400 pre wired for the 2nd A/C and said he could get the A/C and install it for less than the factory price.(13.5 btu) it is the Dometic low profile. The dealer is installing it for 690.00 so it looks like we did save a few bucks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Dave! Now you need to update your signature picture!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
That is going to be a project. Thanks to Glenn I was able to get my current pic uploaded in my signature. Hoping he will be able to help me again with the updated one. My folks are in the Mexican Rivera and borrowed the digital camera, shooting to get the pic updated sometime next week.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If Glenn is busy, email it to me and I'll resize it for you and put it on tinypic and send you the url.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the offer.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Montana Sky,

How tall are you, now? We just ordered the Carrier 15k low profile, because, according to the specifications, is only 7.5 inches high. Worried about a bridge that is marked as 13' 7"...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Michael and Kathy,
You will make that bridge at 13' 7". I am going to double check this again when I have a chance, but was told I am 13' 3" tall. From standing on the ground I still think my highest point on the coach is the MaxxAir vent cover over my kitchen vent which has the fantastic fan in it. The shop tells me the back of the a/c sticks up about 2" higher than the vent cover, which is how I got from 13' 1" to 13' 3" tall. I would like to measure this myself except the road infront of my house has a huge slant to the curb gutters. There is no way to get an accurate measurement, will have to wait until I get out to the lake this weekend. My camp site there is almost perfectly level, will get a more true number there.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also had the heat strip checked out today, it is working normal. I asked why it does not produce as much heat as the fire place heater does? The heat strip provides 5,600btu of heat, but it sure does not feel like it to me. The tech said due to the amount of plastic that is used on the a/c and the fact that it is so close to the insulation and electrical wiring in the ceiling, they are made to keep a room warm after the desired temp has been reached. They are not made to be used instead of a heater or furnace; they will get too hot and can start a fire. That is good enough for me; I actually wanted it to help keep the bedroom a bit warmer. Don’t want to run furnace more than I have to, especially since I pay the propane and electric comes included with the monthly site fee.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
2Seekers
Established Member

M.O.C. #4341
Just had the same unit installed at local CW here in Nashville earlier this week. My unit was not prepped for 2nd AC so I ran the wire myself after they told me installation could be up to $400. Only had to pay them the standard $85 inst. charge and the wiring only took about 2 hours and $35 for wire & 20 amp breaker. Penguin w/heat strip after discount $728. The AC unit sets across two metal truss' that are 16 inches apart so it seems to be well supported. Looking forward to cooler temps inside this summer - especially when DW is cooking. I agree that heat strip does not seem to do much but maybe will knock the chill off. I also need to check overall heighth.
2Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Here is a picture I finally got captured that shows the new a/c in the bedroom. Again, thanks to Steve R. for helping getting this posted.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Montana Sky

When you find out, please let me know how noisy it is when used at night. Especially when just used as a low speed circulating fan.

My wife likes a breeze, so we used one of our small outside fans the other night. I thought I was in a wind tunnel.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
I turned on the bedroom a/c to compare it to the main a/c. If you have the fan on low, I would say it is about half as loud as the low speed of the living room a/c. You do hear the fan while laying on the bed, but I would say it is quiet enough that sleeping should not be a problem. I had the heat strip on at night for the past 3 nights, no problem falling asleep.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #17
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Congrats on the 2nd A/C you will love it and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. As far as height, mine is not a 3400 like so many here have but ours is 13'3" at the second A/C. Someone mentioned 13'7" -- I am not 100% positive but if you are over 13'6" I think you have to get a permit to move it.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ron,
I cannot wait for the day when it is 95 degrees outside and come into a cool coach. You are right, I already asked myself why I did not do this last year??
Old 04-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I think some of you remember my post some time ago about Don doing the wiring for second airconditioner. We haven't installed it yet. May have to get next door neighbor to help. We thought of parking next to one of the decks and getting it up there that way. Might be worth paying Camping World to install it.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dusty,
With my bad shoulders I knew there was no way I would be able to do the install job myself. I have to admit, it was worth every penny having the dealership do the job. It also puts the liability on them and not me. =)