Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
weight versa clothes, shoe's, handbags, ect?

Hi All,

OK so today is the day that we are moving all of our clothes to the Montana. I swear between my stuff and Sofia's things we have 2000 lbs just in clothes alone. For those of you that have a 3931FB, our front closet is fill to capacity. Right now you can not get a small piece of paper in there. I know that we need to thin this out and we will before going anywhere. But how do you know if you going to be over weight with this or did they figure this out when they said we can add 2600 lbs to the trailer.

What did you guy's do? and how full are your closet's?

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many of the Escapee parks will weigh your rig for you or you can take it to a truck stop and do the math from there. The reason to get an RV weigh in, like the Escapees or at the Montana National Rally is that the weight will not be evenly distributed over the wheels and it's good to know where the weight actually is. It doesn't say what year your rig is and I have no experience with the newer models, but on both of our rigs I've had to add extra bracing to the closet rod to keep it from collapsing under the load. I did our current rig before we even left the dealer. On the old one I discovered the problem the hard way when it bent in half on our second trip and had to replace the whole thing and add extra bracing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Many of the Escapee parks will weigh your rig for you or you can take it to a truck stop and do the math from there. The reason to get an RV weigh in, like the Escapees or at the Montana National Rally is that the weight will not be evenly distributed over the wheels and it's good to know where the weight actually is. It doesn't say what year your rig is and I have no experience with the newer models, but on both of our rigs I've had to add extra bracing to the closet rod to keep it from collapsing under the load. I did our current rig before we even left the dealer. On the old one I discovered the problem the hard way when it bent in half on our second trip and had to replace the whole thing and add extra bracing.
We have a 2020 Montana 3931FB. I got the weight on the way home from the dealer's with full fresh water we were 14,350 lbs with a gvrw 16,500 lbs that only give's me 2,150 of stuff to put into the trailer I think we are over that with our clothes.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
By full tome does that mean you sold the house? if not ask yourself ,do you need all that stuff. We travel about 3 months at a time and I only carry enough cloths for 2 weeks. I don't pack fancy cloths like suit or dress shirts. Shoes My wife tries to slip that one by me every trip. Not so fast I tell her. You don't need high heals. You can only wear one at a time. I pack a couple jackets and some rain gear. I try to pack smart. I have to empty out the fridge because nothing in there lasts 3 months. I never pack anything that I know I won't need.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
While I have not weighted our clothes, I can't imagine they weight 2K. Sounds like a trip to Goodwill is in order. If both of you are retired you should be able to get by with a lot fewer clothes.

If I remember right our last house move was about 14K for everything in the house.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
These are excellent points. We still have too many clothes we don't use after 10 years of full timing and we haven't bought anything. When you're retired you just don't need as many clothes.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
By full tome does that mean you sold the house? if not ask yourself ,do you need all that stuff. We travel about 3 months at a time and I only carry enough cloths for 2 weeks. I don't pack fancy cloths like suit or dress shirts. Shoes My wife tries to slip that one by me every trip. Not so fast I tell her. You don't need high heals. You can only wear one at a time. I pack a couple jackets and some rain gear. I try to pack smart. I have to empty out the fridge because nothing in there lasts 3 months. I never pack anything that I know I won't need.
Yep, The old homestead is gone after the 8th of July next week. We are to be in the official full timer's area.

Get a load of this. We got this model trailer 3931FB because of all the storage space. We are running low on storage space. Leave it to the little women. Need to see if I can tow the toy haler behind us for storage...LOL

Old 07-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You really don't want to hear this, but at our place in NM there was a full time couple where he still worked in the oil field. It never occured to me that I'd never seen his wife wearing the same exact outfit ever until one day they had brought a utility trailer up from storage and I asked what they used it for and he showed me that it had three rows of clothes racks and was his wife's extra closet.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
We have a 2020 Montana 3931FB. I got the weight on the way home from the dealer's with full fresh water we were 14,350 lbs with a gvrw 16,500 lbs that only give's me 2,150 of stuff to put into the trailer I think we are over that with our clothes.
That’s great. You know for sure the empty weight, except for water. Now you can weigh it loaded for travel (with same water) and know exactly how much stuff you tossed in. Not many have done that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote