Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2006, 03:28 AM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Water Heaters

I have a 2005 2980 RLS with the Suburban 10 gal hot water heater.
I have some general questions.
1. In reading threads on HW I gather I should be shutting off the HW switch outside whenever I travel?
2. I am hooked up to 50 amp service and trying to lite the gas also. The gas supply was shut off upon arrival. I hooked up the 50 amp, then tried lighting the burner. I could hear the burner working but could not see the gas. What am I doing wrong? The instructions say to shut off the electric! At the HW switch or the land line?
3. There are two hoses protruding under the RV belly on the curb side. I was told one was to drain the HW tank. Does anyone know what they REALLY are? Is the only was to drain the HW tank thru the tank anode plug?
Thanks for your help.
Doug

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:59 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The two hoses protruding from the bottom are the hot water and cold water line "low point" drains. They are used to drain the water from the entire system (not the WH). You will also find down there somewhere a single drain for the fresh water tank.

I only have the Suburban 6 gal. WH, but the following should still apply.

The ONLY way to drain the WH is through the anode hole.

Be sure the WH bypass is open - this is the bypass which may be used when winterizing so you don't have to put the pink antifreeze in the WH, too. ALWAYS be sure there is water in the tank before turning on the electric or you will ruin the element. Regardless of what the manual says, many folks use the electric AND the propane at the same time to get faster hot water recovery.

For the propane to light, the switch on your system monitor guage must be on. Always open the propane valve at your tank very slowly so the OPD doesn't automatically shut off the gas (a safety feature in case of a bad leak). The rest is all automatic.

For the electric to work, both the outside switch (behind the outside access panel) and the inside breaker must be on. I leave the outside on all the time and use the circuit breaker to turn it off between trips (I have a 110 hookup at home). This will probably eventually weaken the breaker - there is a thread under "improvements" on adding an inside on/off switch.

I see no reason (and never have)turned off the electric just for travel since I'm not hooked up to 110.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:35 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
VanMan has it right, couldn't say it better.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
When you open those low point drains most of the water will drain out of the hot water heater without pulling the anode rod IF you hold the lever open on the pressure relief valve. I'm flushing and sanitizing my water system this morning and drained all the water through the lowpoint drains. Once it stopped dripping I put a 5 gallon bucket under the hot water drain, opened the relief valve and got at least another 4 gallons out.

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Thanks for the info. It has been very helpful.
I presume your reference to OPD is something to do with the propane tanks and the way to clear it would be to either turn the line feed lever or shut down both tanks and turn them back on again. I know the propane was feeding my refrigerator when the electric was off. How do you shut off propane to the HW, but run the gas stove?
Should I be able to see the propane flame in the brass fixture just inside the outdoor cover?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If the switch at the bottom of the systems monitor that says "HTR" (next to the one that says "PUMP' is off (not lit up) then the propane will not heat the water heater. This switch must be on (lit red) for the WH to ignite the burner.

The OPD will shut the propane flow off at the tank if there is a leak of a certain volume. When they first came out (government requirement) a lot of us (me included) were not aware that when you refill your tank you need to open the valve on the tank VERY slowly or the OPD will think there is a sudden loss of pressure and will shut off.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dcowie

Thanks for the info. It has been very helpful.
I presume your reference to OPD is something to do with the propane tanks and the way to clear it would be to either turn the line feed lever or shut down both tanks and turn them back on again.

OPD = Overfill Prevention Device.

Closing the tank valves, disconnecting to relieve pressure, and then reconnection and very slow opening is the way to fix. For the last year or so, there has been a requirement to install a second intermediate pressure regulator on the far side tank, this should fix that problem for owners of newer trailers.

I know the propane was feeding my refrigerator when the electric was off. How do you shut off propane to the HW, but run the gas stove?

You can't. Propane is supplied to all three appliances when the tank valves are open, but the water heater will only operate when the wall switch is on. If you look carefully at the wall switch, you will see a tiny red LED between the two switches, this comes on when either, the propane is in the process of ignition, or if there is a fault, and the propane won't ignite in a preset period of time.

Should I be able to see the propane flame in the brass fixture just inside the outdoor cover?

You should be able to see the flame but it is not highly visible in bright sunlight. You should also be able to hear it, and feel the hot exhaust gases at the vent.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
The 2980 RLS must not have the same control mechanism. I don't have a control monitor. The only control I have is an on/off switch in the outside panel and an alarm panel near the floor in the kitchen area. I don't have a systems monitor with a heater or pump indicator and no red LED light. I was able to light my gas stove tonight. I would think that is a good sign that the OPD was not tripped.
Thanks for the feed back.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That is really strange. I have never heard of a Montana without a systems monitor, but they are always changing things. I'm sure you know your own unit, but I am still left wondering if there isn't one hidden away somewhere. How do you switch your water pump on and off?

Anybody else not have a systems monitor?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:35 AM   #10
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
It is a new day - a new look - I guess you could call it a new dawning!
Yes, I do have a control panel inside and there is a HTR & PUMP lighted buttons. My mind was closed - seeking the solution at the heater outside.
And yes, "this dummy" had forgotten all about turning it on. I have to give an excuse - this is my first day out since October.
Again thank-you all for your help in re-educating the newbie.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Glad we got this sorted out. That sort of thing happens to us all! Now go enjoy your unit.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
In response the original question: my practice is to LEAVE the outside swith for electric water heating ON while traveling. That way, when I connect to the electric power in a park, my water heater comes on without any other action. Of course, when I disconnect to travel, it is goes off because there is no source of electric power. This has worked well for over four years and over 41,000 miles.

We just got back from a 15 day trip across Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and back. Never a problem with the water heater using this system. We only use propane when we have an unusual demand for hot water in cold climates. Not sure that makes any difference, but psycologically it helps.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre's method will work just fine so long as you keep water in the heater. If you drain the heater and forget to turn off the electric element, as soon as electricity is applied you will fry the electric heating element within a very few seconds.

Because our older electrical system has a propensity to pop breakers (too many things on too few circuits) we no longer use the electrical side of our water heater. The electric element is always turned off and we turn off the propane burner when on the road. It could be left on but I don't have a need to do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote