Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Bedroom slide motor replacement

Have a 2020 3761 with a Schwintech bedroom slide. Only one side wants to go out. Have swapped the cables on the controller and the same side wants to go out, so I assume it is the motor or cable.
I know allot of you have most likely done this your self, but since I have a 5 year $100.00 deductible extended warranty (wife thought it would be cheaper than an ER visit), I have a mobile tech coming out next month but would like to know what to expect to replace the motor. Cant get to it from the inside because of the small space in the bedroom, how will he do it.
Also they are asking if it has a black or clear cap?

Thanks

GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
HomerS

M.O.C. #29880
I had a class C before I bought my 2021 3588BR Montana and delt with the Schwintech slide system on my own with some help from you tube. The clear cap motor is the high torque motor and they run about $300-$400 each (if you buy on your own) and the black cap is a low torque and usually used on the smaller slides like the bedrooms. The one I had replace was a complete side slide and required the clear cap motor. If you can find the controller box for the motors you can unplug the motor for the slide and with a little help manually pull the slide the slide in or out and get to the motor set screw from the outside. On my 2021 both the bedroom and the bonus room are located on the ceiling of in the basement through compartment on the drivers side. To determine which motor is bad there is a small pin hole on the control box that you press in six or seven times and then the lights have a series of blinks that will indicate the if it is the front motor or the back. I accessed the motor set screw from the outside near the top of the slide under the weatherstripping. A single set screw held the motor in place then went inside and pulled the motor out, unplugged the motor, plugged the motor back in and went outside and replaced the set screw and weatherstripping. This was the first time working on one of these and after a few you tube videos it was actually pretty simple. There are times when the slide gets out of sync and all I had to do was hit the rest button on the motor six or seven time which over rides the safety and ran the slide in a few inches and back out all the way a few time which synced the slide and worked great. Sorry for the long response but for a service person to come out and if the motor needs replacing I could see it running $250-$350 if the low torque motor.
Caution once you unplug the control box the motors are disengaged and be sure to replug the motors back in before moving the trailer. As if the control box is not plugged in the slide could go out by itself.

Good Luck
HomerS is offline   Reply With Quote