Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
Lorrie

M.O.C. #31965
In search of info on Montana Mountaineers

I'm hoping to reach individuals with knowledge of the old Montana Mountaineer travel trailers... we are considering purchasing a 2004 Mountaineer travel trailer to use during colder weather in the UP of Michigan, however, one of our needs is that the tanks (fresh, gray, and black) are, or at least the underbelly is heated. We've looked at two different Mountaineers... the 2004 has an enclosed underbelly the other, which is a 2002 does not. We're hoping that the enclosed underbelly is an indication that they ran heat ducts to that area. Would anyone happen to know if that is the case? I've searched the web for brochures, specs, etc., but the only information from 2004 that I can find is on Montana 5th wheels, nothing on Montana Mountaineer travel trailers.

If this doesn't happen to be the best audience for the information I'm seeking, and you know of a more appropriate forum, Facebook group, etc., please pass along your ideas. Thanks!

Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the forum Lorrie. I can't answer your question but I'm sure there are many who can.
Old 11-11-2022, 05:07 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If the 2002 Mountaineer is the 5th wheel variety and not a travel trailer model, I am pretty sure it had an underbelly cover at one time.

Heat to the underbelly tanks is kinda hooky. Behind the back wall of the passthru should be a flexible hose from the heater that runs down into the general area of the tanks. That is the heat source.

I haven't seen a Mountaineer in many years and never really examined one. There are a few members here that have, or had one, and hopefully they will answer up.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #4
Lorrie

M.O.C. #31965
Thanks for your response. I need to edit my original post to include that the two Mountaineers we've looked at are travel trailers and not fifth wheels.
Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Whatever you buy, you will need to skirt it and put a small ceramic heater underneath. This will help to keep things warm down there and reduce your overall heating (propane/electric) costs. But that's a different topic you can search in the forum
"Burrr it's cold outside, winter camping".
Also get a 100gal propane tank from your local propane company and schedule fillups.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:32 PM   #6
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Former Mountaineer Owner

We purchased a new 2004 Montana Mountaineer 305FKS travel trailer- pulled with a new GMC Dmax / Allison truck.

Being a lifetime resident of Idaho, we did camping from early spring until late fall - never did winter camping. We did have occasions where we had to uncouple water lines for the night for a light frost - but never had to worry about frozen tanks and valves.

The underbelly of our coach was fully enclosed and heat was taken from the in floor duct work when the furnace was running.

This coach was a joy to pull, many trips to the coast and Idaho's camping bounty. Unfortunatle, due to health reasons, we sold our rig a few years ago and it went to Arizona as a winter home.

Hope this was helpful.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:31 PM   #7
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
I own a 2007 285 RLD Montana Mountaineer. My tanks are heated by my heating ducts when the furnace is on I have been in the 20s with my rig and not frozen pipes by using the furnace but you’re talking about Michigan if this is in the winter time. Lots of luck, I would get a portable thermostat that works on the Bluetooth of your phone and stick it in the underbelly and you’ll be able to keep track of what’s going on.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:45 AM   #8
Wayne and Susan sw Michigan

M.O.C. #32037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
I'm hoping to reach individuals with knowledge of the old Montana Mountaineer travel trailers... we are considering purchasing a 2004 Mountaineer travel trailer to use during colder weather in the UP of Michigan, however, one of our needs is that the tanks (fresh, gray, and black) are, or at least the underbelly is heated. We've looked at two different Mountaineers... the 2004 has an enclosed underbelly the other, which is a 2002 does not. We're hoping that the enclosed underbelly is an indication that they ran heat ducts to that area. Would anyone happen to know if that is the case? I've searched the web for brochures, specs, etc., but the only information from 2004 that I can find is on Montana 5th wheels, nothing on Montana Mountaineer travel trailers.

If this doesn't happen to be the best audience for the information I'm seeking, and you know of a more appropriate forum, Facebook group, etc., please pass along your ideas. Thanks!
We have a 2004 mountaineer at our camp between Cadillac and Houghton Lake. Camp is about 1800’ off a main road. We winterize just before we leave for Florida late October. Never had a problem with any of the pipes but on winter it got so cold it cracked the bathroom linoleum from one end to the other. We are under a pavilion but not enclosed under unit. We have been there in the 20s
Wayne and Susan sw Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote