Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2022, 05:43 PM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Kinda Sad

Kinda sad that’s how my wife described it.
We have a wonderful little lake here, 2500 acres 160 feet deep with 4 nice camp grounds on the back side and water tested clean enough to drink with no houses around it or within 2 miles of it. The Homestead Resort is 30 minutes away. They are a 5 star with a great golf course. Sammy Snead’s home home.
We went up there several times a year. We turkey hunted from a boat. Take a boat where you wonted to hunt get out and hunt. The fishing is great, large and small mouth bass, trout, striped or tiger perch.
So what’s the problem. We can’t use the campgrounds. They haven’t been open this year. I’m not sure why, lack of help, maintenance. I guess it will be open some day next spring maybe.
Kinda sad.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #2
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
lack of help is the main problem everwhere, dont understand why. is there a name of this campground or the name of the town its in?
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:18 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
This year we went from Key West Florida to Prince Edward Island Canada. Everywhere we went we saw "Help Wanted" signs.
What happened?
Did everyone die of covid over the last two years?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:03 AM   #4
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
In my opinion it seems like most teens to early adults have been sheltered from harms way so much by parents in the last few years that they are not pushed to go out and work as most of us had to early in life. Money is easily obtained thru their parents verses earning their keep. It is a scary thought to think about how alot of our life's lessons & experiences were learned throughout the adolescent years of working in the real world and a significant percentage of youth today will never be exposed to any of that...
Old 10-09-2022, 05:20 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Not to get a political discussion going, but as a small business owner, I can tell you it seems that many people are being paid NOT to work. Some have gotten used to not going in to work and are struggling to keep it that way. It doesn't seem as bad in my home state of Florida, but our travels around the country, I see more "help wanted" signs and fewer workers everywhere we go.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:58 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
lack of help is the main problem everwhere, dont understand why. is there a name of this campground or the name of the town its in?

It’s the Bolar Flats national Rec area in Bath Co Va. the nearest town is Warm Springs Va. and Hot Springs Va. the nearest community is Bacova. It’s a beautiful little village with one L shaped road with pretty little pastel painted houses on the outside of the L and a playground on the inside. Absolutely beautiful.
Lynwood
Old 10-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Earlier this year I posted about the declining care and attention given at some of our Indiana State Parks, how nasty people were at leaving trash and burning everything BUT firewood in campground fire pits and then leaving a mess. I've complained about the lack of involvement from park staff, campground hosts, and DNR rangers.

When I investigated at some of the state parks from management (once I was able to locate them), the story was the same everywhere.... they are lacking help. They can't get anyone to work. They can't get hosts who are willing to actually work. They want the free campsite, but don't want to work for it. They can't recruit volunteers. It seems that's a dying breed of people. They can't hire people for pay, because no one want's to work for a minimum wage (or slightly higher) .... oh, they want the money, but once they get there they realize they actually have to do something to earn it, they quit.

This year, I've volunteered my services at several state parks, while camping there! And I also served as a camp host and gave them 100% of my time, effort, and energy. Everywhere we go now, I check in with campground management now and ask what I can volunteer to do while we are camping there. Almost every one say, help pick up trash if you want to do something. That works well in our schedule as we do a LOT of hiking anyway!

If we (all) want to help save our campgrounds that are quickly dying because they cannot get help, then maybe we, as avid campers, need to step forward and do some volunteer effort at the campgrounds we patronize the most. No doubt, some of these campgrounds that are struggling to stay afloat for lack of help, will gladly use any volunteer. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Each of us are either part of the problem, or we are the cure for the problem. It's in your ball park.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:56 AM   #8
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
I am in 100% agreement with RMcNeal. I am sure campgrounds are falling onto this quite often, sad but true.
My 27-year-old neighbor told me he could make more on unemployment and handouts, than he could working. He said he will ride it out as long as he can before going back to work. THEN he said he will look for the biggest sign on bonus to get. Once he gets the time in to receive it, off he will go to ride the unemployment wave and sign on bonus again. It's a vicious circle. Hopefully soon the loopholes will be closed, and people can get back to work and get this great country going again!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I didn’t mean for this to turn into a discussion about help wonted. I can understand how my CC could need help. It’s way out in nowhere. Few people live in Bath County and most work at the Homestead. Close to the lake there are even fewer people. These are good federal government jobs not a part time low pay jobs.
I was told the water system needed repair, waste water or fresh I’m not sure. In other words it’s a money problem. In the past we could build interstates and parks and now we can’t keep them up. What is wrong with this picture?
Lynwood