Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
Montana_3194

M.O.C. #3194
Inverter install w/50 amp service

I am trying to upgrade my electrical system in my new 2955. Want to install an inverter, and wondered about the following.

I see The 50 amp service is split in the breaker box into two seperate circuits (with shared neutral and ground). Each one serves every other 2 breaker set. So breakers 1 and 2 are on circuit A, 3 and 4 on B, 5 and 6 on A, etc.

Could I install something like a Xantrex Xpower (no charging capacity)1750 watt inverter (I could probably get by with 1000 watts or less, but would like to be able to power the microwave for short bursts from time to time) close to my battery, which is in the front compartment, (it looks like it would be easy to put the inverter just thru the wall in the basement area) with adequate large cables and an appropriate fuse. Then run wiring (with an appropriately sized breaker) capable of handling the surge capacity of the inverter up to the breaker panel.

Finally, remove one of the 110 sides from the breaker panel and run it and the inverter output thru either a DPDT switch or an Automatic transfer switch back to the breaker panel.

I could then rearrange the wiring in the box as needed to get the breakers I want on inverter/shore, side A, and the others (AC, water heater, converter) on the shore only, side B.

THis seems to my limited electrical experience mind to be a fairly simple and inexpensive way to get some 110 power w/o gen or shore power when necessary.

ONe final note, I already have a Progressive Dynamics 9180 converter, so don't need the charging from an inverter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Montana_3194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, would advise against moving current loads as they are positioned to balance normal load as equally as possible of incoming lines.
You have a good idea about locating the inverter as close to the battery as possible, since the highest current draw will be thru the 12 VDC line. Make sure you disable your converter when you use an inverter or you will just create a big loop, trying to charge itself.
last, i would run the inverter output thru a breaker with reverse power interupt to the supply side of which every side you feel you will use the most at let it go at that.
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We installed a ProSine 2.0 inverter using 4 solar panels. We disconnected the ac power input from its breaker at the breaker panel (mine was under the kitchen range).We then used a junction box and connected the ac power input into the input of the inverter. The ac output of the inverter was then routed back to the breaker panel to the original ac breaker. The inverter has an automatic connect/disconnect in it that allows shore power to be connected through it to the ac breaker input. Yes, be sure to disconnect the converter!

Be sure you don't try to run your air conditioner off the inverter. Only operate it when connected to shore power. The inverter is not made to handle the surge power required by the air conditioner.

The automatic connect/disconnect of the inverter causes the power to switch from shore power to the inverter anytime you disconnect from shore power. You have to be watchful that when you are on the inverter that you operate your refrigerator and hot water heater on propane. These two appliances will suck your batteries down in a hurry.

Another thing, I would get rid of the wet cell batteries that come with the rig and purchase two sealed, AGM 12 Volt batteries. These batteries do not need maintenance. They are expensive but last a long time and are designed for a lot of recharges.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #4
engdahl

M.O.C. #4670
I have installed both a ProSine 3.0 inverter and a generator to my 3295. I ordered the 3295 with generator prep, and it came with a transfer switch, which switches the AC of the trailer to the generator when the generator is on. The generator is wired to both legs of its connector in the transfer switch, which causes the generator to power the entire trailer, rather than just one side of the AC. To connect the inverter, I simply added another transfer switch, wired the same way before the generator transfer switch. Although the inverter allows "pass-through" wiring, as was stated by Orv, the problem is that the inverter is only 30 amps, and is internally wired for 30 amps. If you wire the incoming AC through it, you are connecting a 50 amp supply to 30 amp wiring, and potentially could have an overheating problem.
engdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by engdahl

Although the inverter allows "pass-through" wiring, as was stated by Orv, the problem is that the inverter is only 30 amps, and is internally wired for 30 amps. If you wire the incoming AC through it, you are connecting a 50 amp supply to 30 amp wiring, and potentially could have an overheating problem.
My 3555RL is wired for 50 amp service. However, only the 30 amp leg is wired into the inverter. The other leg is wired to the washer/dryer wiring (which we don't use). I don't believe you'll find the unit with 50 amps wired into the converter presently. My unit has a main panel with one 30 amp breaker and one 20 amp breaker which are wired from the 50 amp input.

That's why the inverter "passes through" the 30 amp shore (or generator) power.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The 2005's and 2006's are different. Ours are both 50 amps.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote