Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Change To Multiple Batteries

I am looking to change over to multiple batteries for boondocking. I know several of you have different types of setups; dual 12V, 4 6V golf cart, etc. using generators and solar panels. What I am looking to do is set up for a week to 2 weeks of boondocking utilizing a generator for battery charging and if it goes good maybe adding solar panels later.

Right now I am looking for a good batter configuration and how to set it up. I will be using a Honda 2000 gen. I have boondocked in trailers and motorhomes and realize how to conceive power but now I want to take advantage the opportunities I have with my Montana.

jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I installed two 6 volt batteries in place of the one 12 volt that came with the 5er. I put them in a marine box, used the original venting set-up, and added a marine type shut-off switch. I also installed a cheap 400 watt inverter wired directly to the batteries to power the main TV and satellite receiver. Those, together with my Yamaha 2400iS generator keeps me going for quite a while, with water being the limiting factor.
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I also have the twin 6-volt golf cart batteries in a marine box.

Use of the twin golf cart batteries is a common practice for RVs (I bought mine right off the display rack at Camping World and didn't see a single golf cart anywhere ). They offer a substantial increase in capacity over the equivalent 12 volt and take slightly less space.

I have not had the opportunity to drag these down to an unusuable charge yet, so I have no data on actual longevity.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
We put in Four (4) 6 volt Interstate model 2300 batteries in our unit.
Intalled at 3000 watt, charger, inverter.
It has worked well for us.
I made two boxes out of 5/8" plywood. Drilled 1" drain hole in the bottom, I cut a 1 1/4" hole in the top.
I bought a piece of 1 1/4" lightweight suction hose like you would use for a sump pump.
I attached it to the installed vent hose and ran it to a tee installed in the first box to a tee in the second box and them to the hole in the bottom of the compartment.
Also I sprayed the boxes with auto undercoating.
That was almost 3 years ago and it has shown no sign of downgrading.
On the 6 volt battery look at your ampage capacity not price.
Also if you do not buy an inverter/charger, do not rely on the system to charge your batteries, get a good auto charger from NAPA, etc.
Hope this helps.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I use two Lifeline D8 batteries. For a full timer these are great and they are expensive. But they give us the capacity to dry camp a lot more and a lot longer. Our solar panels keep up pretty well as long as there is plenty of sun. For the weekend and occasional vacationer, I wouldn't recommend them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Two Trojan T-105 6v golf cart batteries in a Blue Sea marine battery box that is designed for them.

This set up works well for us for short term boondocking with a generator to top them up as needed. I usually run the generator from time to time for cooking or hair drying, and this seems to keep the batteries topped up. You can of course get more and bigger batteries, but bnless you are a dedicated boondocker, I think a little gernerator like yours is more cost effective and lighter. Really, it all comes down to how much power you are expecting the batteries to provide.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It's hard to beat two Trojan T-105's
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I also have two golf cart batteries and they have been working great for us. I recently bought a 45 gallon water bladder from Camping World to solve my water problems while boon docking. I can fill the bladder up in town and transfer the water to the holding tank by gravity when back at camp.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Looks like 2 golf cart batteries will do the trick for me. Now the questions I have are what about wiring in an inverter/charger? Do you connect this to the whole AC system or just to isolated parts and how is it wired in? Or do you just use your battery power for the 12V system and the generator for the rest. I was lucky in my motorhome, I had a 12V outlet by my TV and could use a small inverter from that outlet for TV, DVD, Stereo, and other AC items.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok...my two cents...in my sig you will see my current battery selection. I have installed two marine switches to allow selecting a single battery to run my inverter w/o concern for loosing coach essentials as those are kept connected directly to that third battery (Group 24). This setup has allowed me to run in inverter mode for 6 - 7 hours powering a 25inch Tube TV and DirecTv receiver...I call this stealth mode. I have a 3kw Kipor and do use it for recharging via stock coach charger.
In the future I will be reconfiguring to 6 volt batteries as they have better Amh ratings but as my previous SOB had limited battery compartment space I have just moved these into the current Montana. I use a Office Depot purchase clear plastic storage container with cutout for drain and top factory vent tube. Will need to rethink my method to have dedicated battery for coach essentials.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I have 4 6 volt batteries, a 2000 watt inverter with a built in 3 stage charger. The inverter is wired for the whole coach which means I can run anything but the AC, the water heater and the fireplace. I have to Onan 5500 built in genset. I wish I had installed a 3000 watt inverter although I get by well without it. If I had it to do over again I would invest in more solar and less generator. If you don't dry camp it wouldn't really matter as much. My batteries all, just barely, fit in the battery compartment.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #12
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Jim, one other important thing to remember is to get a better charger for your batteries. If you use the standard charger that comes with the coach it will take you a lot longer to charge your batteries with the Honda generator. My Xantrax inverter has a built in 3 stage charger and it works great.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jim,

Did you ever just try adding the IOTA Smart Charger module to your coach converter? It is supposed to enable 3-phase charging and conditioning out of the original charger.

I did add it ($30), it works as indicated, but I don't have a basis of comparison to see how effective it is

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote