Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
linda and chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #6952
batteries not holding charge

Just bought in feb 2004 32ft moutaneer , left the 12 volt battery in and added 2- 6 volts also ( at dealer )--- we park the camper 2 weeks and the batteries are completely dead wont show on the battery test .
Getting a small solar charger to plug into 12 volt TV outlet in bedroom to help , just doesent make sense they are new 6v . cant seem to find any drain -- havent hooked a amp meter between batteries and main wireing yet , too cold ,spring rains etc to dig real deep yet , hoping to boon dock with extra batteries but it looks as i will be able to boondock --about as far as our extension cord will reach --- thanks your help has been great
PS before i took it i asked dealer to put 2 6vs in so they took out the 12 and put in 2 6vs -- i went to pick it up and checked their work and had them put the 12 volt back in also

linda and chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Remember that your LP detector draws from your battery 24/7. Also if you have your fridge running on propane that also draws on your battery 24/7. I only have 1 12V battery in my coach and while on the road to Goshen last fall, the battery would last about 5 days before the LP detector would start chirping. (a sign of an almost dead battery) To further clarify, that is 5 days with nothing in the coach running but the fridge and LP detector. I was staying with my relatives and had the coach parked on the side of their house. I had the service center do a full electrical systems check on the coach. They said all was good and that 5 days is pretty standard for 1 12V battery.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:25 AM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
First Montana Sky is correct the LP detector will drain it in week or less if not plugged to shore power. Secondly how are you hooking 2, 6-volt batteries plus a 12-volt battery up, that sounds little weird to me.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You should not mix battery types. Either use 6-volt batteries in series or 12-volt batteries in parallel. To get the equivalent of two 12-volt batteries in parallel, you would need two sets of 6-volt batteries connected in series (+ post of one to - post of the other = total 12 volts) and then connect the two sets of 6-volt batteries in parallel with each other (+ post to + post and - post to - post).

Mismatched battery types will oft times not hold a charge.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #5
thundercat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1405
Another draw that is often overlooked is the switch on the refrigerator for the door heater. This is supposed out help in high humidity areas to keep the moisture down, but runs on 12vdc.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 AM   #6
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Dont forget the handy flashlight.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
bulbrich
Established Member

M.O.C. #6869
Dont forget the antenna booster, it draws a lot of juice. It will draw a battery down in 5 days if not hooked up to AC.
bulbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If a person to be unnamed did indeed forget to engage the disconnect battery switch and the batteries did run down, what is the next step. My understanding is that the charging capacity from the TV is really low, so is there any easy way out to enable the front jacks to work?? Can we use jumper cables from the TV to provide enough power to raise and lower the jacks so that we can hook up? Does anyone have an idea of how long re-charge will take through the TV connect (the block fuse is installed). Keep in mind that the person remains unnamed however I myself am not used to this added on luxury of a battery disconnect switch. LOL

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bingo,

Plug your coach into the truck and while your truck is running you can usually get enough power to the battery to close the slides and lift the landing gear. You are right, the truck is only a trickle charge to the coach battery. If you run the battery too far down, only a good battery charger will recharge the battery back to capacity.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
You can also bring in the slides and bring up the front landing jacks by hand.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I strongly recommend for everyone to install the accessory for the Iota converter that enables the charging system to do a 3 stage charge. The batteries will last longer and give you better service. I think Orv is right on about mixing batteries, they have to all be the same type and age.I strongly recommend for everyone to install the accessory for the Iota converter that enables the charging system to do a 3 stage charge. The batteries will last longer and give you better service. I think Orv is right on about mixing batteries, they have to all be the same type and age.

Converter (Battery charger and 12 volt power supply)

Your converter is a 55 amp. (Medium size) 15 amps to 90 amps; with a rapid charge capability.
It comes with a male plastic phone type jack taped to the unit that, when inserted, will provide a temporary rapid charge for your 12 volt storage system. (single, or multiple 12 volt batteries, or an even number of Golf Cart batteries . Normal 13.6, to 14.2 fast charge.
This is a temporary mode of operation, as it would boil, or overcharge if left in. Useful for a quick charge need.
It’s maximum amp draw is 15 amps. (A/C)
If you blow fuses, look for reverse polarity, these fuses are designed for that.
Your converter has built in protection from:
Voltage spikes
Low line voltage (power from the main, coming in to the RV) Sometimes referred to as ‘Brown out’
Your converter can be used with, OR without a battery connected with no adverse effects.
All and all a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment.
Read up on the IQ Smart charger option;
http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have a meter to monitor the current being used out of the battery. At night with the CO detector, flashlight, refrigerator control & fan the draw is only .07 amps. I don't think this is enough to pull the battery down in a week.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:39 AM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Once that battery has been drawn down "too far" and it's recharged with a "plug-in" charger, will it be back to it's normal state? or will it "never be the same"? Me thinks I need a new one !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #14
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I added a battery disconnect switch to my 2004 3670 RL. If you plan to leave your unit disconnected from shore power for more than a few days and don't have a battery shutoff switch shut propane gas valves and take the battery leads off. Remember no propane gas detector with no DC power. However you will have a full battery when you hook up and get ready to go.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote