Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #41
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
All you need to know is that the fittings are 1/4" Female JIC 37° Flare. It's not likely that any shop will have the same hose material, but they can make new hose from much better material with fittings that will fit. I had a hose that was close to failing years ago, took the old one to an auto parts store that catered to the AG community and they made a new hose while we waited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new hose.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	12593  

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:26 PM   #42
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
....I’m very familiar with replacing hydraulic lines on tractors and heavy equipment, anything unique about these lines and arrangement? Does anyone know if the fittings are a common size so I can have this hose made at a local hydraulic shop? .......
There have been numerous Posts on the hydraulic lines (Montana used 1500 P.S.I. rated one lines but any replacement will be 3000 P.S.I. - which is fine). The fittings are JIC37 1/4". My notes say a member (likely Daryles?) recommended carrying a cap (3404C-04) and a plug (2408-04) in case of a line problem.

A Search should find all this good stuff.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:59 AM   #43
Columbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #31128
Thanks all! I’ve had jic hoses made before so that shouldn’t be a problem! I’ll get a cap and plug just in case for the future.
Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:50 AM   #44
Columbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #31128
Next question- the bedroom slide has the cracked/broken plastic cover underneath. From searching this seems to be a fairly common issue that a dealer can fix for big dollars by pulling the slide out. I’m not interested in that, what has been the success rate of removing the plastic entirely and painting the plywood with a high quality exterior paint? Any other clever suggestions to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B0510AD2-0B2D-4A9C-8BF5-DBA5206B17AD.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	12632  
Old 07-29-2022, 02:01 PM   #45
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Next question- the bedroom slide has the cracked/broken plastic cover underneath. From searching this seems to be a fairly common issue that a dealer can fix for big dollars by pulling the slide out. I’m not interested in that, what has been the success rate of removing the plastic entirely and painting the plywood with a high quality exterior paint? Any other clever suggestions to fix this?
This appears to be a common issue and I've seen threads regarding preventative measures but I've not seen anything this bad. I don't know if a tape repair would last but I'm sure someone here has suggestions.

Here is a thread that addresses
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83948
Old 08-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #46
Columbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #31128
So, the leaking hydraulic hose was fixed with no issues, thanks all! My wife and I are now living in it full-time. I was walking by earlier and saw a few drops of water coming from the water heater cover. I removed the cover and saw that the water was a small seep from the anode rod. Is this an indication of a bigger problem or just a rod that needs tightening? I should probably replace the rod while I’m there, how do I know which rod to order?

Sorry for the newbie questions!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F4B1F15B-0898-4BA0-953C-D577A22B6B92.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	12693  
Old 08-07-2022, 09:18 PM   #47
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Turn off power and gas to the water heater, let it cool down, and turn off water also. Then, remove the anode, and if it is still serviceable, you can re-install it. Make sure you have a roll of Teflon tape and wrap several layers of the tape on the threads and screw it back in. It has tapered pipe threads, so tighten it very well and you will solve the water leak. Before turning on electric or gas, make sure the water heater tank is full so you have water coming out of your faucets. Once the tank is full and you have electric or gas heating the water, check for leaks, and if it is still leaking, tighten the anode more until the leak stops.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:33 PM   #48
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Do what Bob wrote above but before you remove the anode, open the pressure relief valve first. Otherwise you will get wet and attacked by a flying anode. :-)

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:39 AM   #49
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Columbo - Foldback provided a link to a solution that ChuckS devised for slides with fraying darco fabric using plastic strips. I don’t recall seeing a thread in this forum with ideas to repair slides with the plastic sheet bottom. I suppose if I was faced with this issue - I would first try to figure out how to secure the existing plastic sheet and stop it from further degeneration and cracking. I might try to cut straight line edges and get rid of the jagged edges, then glue the edges to the plywood. Seems like it would be difficult to remove 100% of it. Even if the plastic sheet is cut with straight edges and glued - my concern would be that if a section of edge lost contact and drooped - would it get hooked on something as it traveled out and break again. I think ChuckS strips would work well as the slide is retracted…I don’t know if they solve the problem for extending the slide.

The exposed plywood will need to be painted with a durable waterproof paint, because I think the plastic sheet functions as a vapor barrier. Just sitting here thinking about it - this one is tough. I do think that applying 4 or 5 strips of the plastic that ChuckS used will fix the issue for the slide function. Perhaps someone else here will have better advice for a fix.

Moderators - is there a way to move the broken plastic slide bottom issue to a new thread where it might get more hits and solutions?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #50
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
This company sells the UHMW material by the sheet. 1/8" x 48" x 96"
That should cover the entire bottom of the bedroom slide. Kinda expensive though $329.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #51
Columbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #31128
Thanks for all the help on both of these issues so far! It is much appreciated.