Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #1
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
slide out moved in transit?

we were traveling a couple of days ago to Texas.
Overnight at Texarkana, and all went well
took off next day for Ft. Worth, and hit some really tough construction...had the truck and trailer bobbing and moving all over the place

upon arrival at our site in FTW, the hydraulic slides had moved out at the bottom a few inches, tops were still tight

when extended all pulled into alignment and seems OK. However getting to the campsite and seeing the bottoms out was stomach churning. NO movement on the electric slides.

could the construction site been so rough as to jostled the hydraulic drive to start the slides out? Has anyone had this happen before.

just trying to figure out what happened, and trying to figure out if it can be avoided in the future.

Thanks

bryon

farmerbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Your issue is has been reported quite a few times over the years on the MOC and other RV websites concerning hydraulic slides. Sometimes it's just a simple matter of running the hydraulic slides in and out full stroke to work the air out of the system. Other times it ends up being the piston seals on the hydraulic cylinder seeping pressure. A very few have had luck in having the cylinder rebuilt ... others just install a new cylinder. Some people buy telescoping rods to place between the facia and wall when the slides are in to hold them in place. They work, but can be forgotten and then alot of popping noise gets your attention when you try to move the slides out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:16 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
16 years with this rig and it has happened a couple of times. Both times, as dieselguy suggest, I just fully opened and closed the slide a couple of times. Gets any air that may be in the hydraulic system. Try the simple things first and keep an eye on it.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:51 AM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Agree with Jimcol, my 2006 does this randomly on the bedroom slide only. I had the hydraulics checked, nothing much to do--basically don't spend big $$$. Ready for the road again this summer!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
My main slide would creep out while traveling. Had the hydraulic cylinder rebuilt, no more creep. Then the kitchen slide started creeping. Had that cylinder rebuilt, no more creeping. Now the bedroom slide has started to creep. Will have that cylinder rebuilt. It's a 2002, so original cylinders lasted 20 years.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #6
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
Thanks

thanks for taking the time to reply
makes me feel better
keep learning more as I go along

bryon
Old 06-08-2022, 06:06 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Didn’t see what year your RV is..

Mine has 3 hydraulic slides and is a 2014.. I have had the BR slide creep pit at the bottom a couple of inches 3 or 4 times over the last 8 years..

I’ve verified there are no external fluid leaks.. I cycle the slide outs a few times and this purges any air that might be in the system. It’s a self purging system

Also do locate your HYDAC valve and make sure the manual override screw on that valve is closed..if it’s slightly open this will allow fluid to flow and the slides will move some..

The vavle is electrically operated and mechanically closed via an internal spring..

If the issue persist there is an internal bypass test you can do yourself if you have some basic mechanical skill sets
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:29 AM   #8
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Bryon,
Just FYI - The hydac manual override (bypass valve) rotation to close is counterclockwise.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #9
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
thanks again

for all the info and tips
bryon
(and a 2008 Honda GoldWing)