Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Battery/Power Question

Unfortunately we are in a situation that is going to require us to store the rig for several months without being used. It is under cover, but since we are in South Texas we like to check on it regularly for mice, etc. I know I need to take the battery out (it is the original, August of 2006, so is probably shot anyway). My specific question is: what will or won't "work" if the battery is out but I have the trailer hooked up to the TV? I would like to be able to turn on the lights, at least in the belly, but would not need to operate the slides or landing jacks. Thanks for the advice.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Rather than taking the battery out you could consider a quick disconnect switch, unless you want to remove the battery so it doesn't get stolen or you wish to take it somewhere for keeping it charged and maintained. You will still need some way to keep the battery charged and conditioned.

If you do not remove or disconnect the battery(ies) the 12v propane sensor continues to run when the battery is present and will eventually drain your battery. I am not sure if you have hardwired alarms (like fire and Carbon monoxide because mine are alkaline battery operated) but these could also drain your battery. If you (accidently or purposefully) leave on your furnace, fridge, water heater of any of these 12v controlled systems, the battery will drain. I have heard stories of unfortunate owners who left a 12v light on (or possible something as low draining as the television booster switch) during storage and ended up with a dead battery.

12v is required to run any 12v lighting and to operate the slides and landing gear. However, I have used my TV with the engine running to operate the lights, slides and landing gear while connected with the trailer hitch cord, but I have a diesel with dual batteries. In this case your trailer needs to be positioned to reach the TV or bring your battery with you and run the RV off that - hopefully the battery was stored, charged and maintained when you plan to use it for these purposes.

The biggest problem you will have is keeping the battery charged and conditioned wherever you store it. You must also check the water level once a month to ensure it stays in its best condition (avoid sulfation), but this is a different topic from your original post. Post again if you'd like some suggestions in that area.

I hope this helps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Thanks, Art. I should have clarified - I have a 2007 3400RL, and it has the disconnect switch, which is disconnected now. I do not have power at the storage lot and I know the battery should be on a trickle charger to stay "healthy" - my goal was to be able to operate at least the lights when I checked on the rig without having to drag the battery back and forth each time. When we are in a postion to use the trailer more frequently (I hope that is sooner rather than later) I intend to upgrade the battery to either an AGM or to golf cart batteries. We are unlikely to boondock anywhere, at least for a while, but I want the most reliable power I can get. I know the AGM and golf cart batteries are both heavier than regular batteries - which do you think is easier to put in and take out on a regular basis? Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Have you considered a solar powered charger? I'm sure someone on here can give you information on what would be needed and hooking it up. That way you wouldn't have to remove the batteries.

You should also consider filling out your signature so folks here will know without asking what kind of trailer and tow vehicle. You can do it under "Profile".
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Good advice, Tom. Have you done this? How big of a panel would be needed to keep the battery charged? Would you need to have a trickle charger in between the panel and the battery? Sounds like a neat idea, especially since I will probably be using the same storage facility for the next several years.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
drjjj, I see, by your signature that you have an '07 3400RL. We have the '06 same model. We fulltime so don't know the answer to your original question about what works while hooked to TV but can say that our OEM battery lasted almost three years. With the availability of Wally World essentially anywhere you go, and at just about anytime of the day/night, we opted for a WW special, 12volt, measured to fit, marine battery for $79.00 and a $9.00 trade in. We were considering an AGM or dual golf carts also, but figured without boondocking we don't need that good of battery power, as long as the converter works anyway.....Am I missing something?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ah, now you are getting into getting the battery charged while stored AND you have a cover. The solar panels typically are installed on the roof, but getting the wire down to the battery with a cover on would be a trick and hopefully someone has done this.

What I did when I stored another rig offsite is remove the batteries, ugh and keep them at home where I had a charger and I could check the water level, didn't have to worry about them being stolen, etc. Since the trailer was backed in, if I needed to visit it I would plug the trailer cord into my TV and 12v was available and powered up what I needed. I kept the batteries at home until ready to pick up the rig for a trip.

When we retired we bought the Monty and it now sits in my driveway of the retirement stickhouse, and I would back the TV to connect the cord and use 12 volts to move slides, raise/lower landing, as needed. Now I connect the shore power from the garage and into the trailer and the batteries are disconnected. I use the shore power to raise and lower landing gear or extend/retract slides when needed. Either way I don't need/use the batteries until I reconnect them for a trip. I check the water levels every 2-4 weeks.

For recharging hopefully someone will come along for other solutions for solar panels (with a cover), etc.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drjjj

Good advice, Tom. Have you done this? How big of a panel would be needed to keep the battery charged? Would you need to have a trickle charger in between the panel and the battery? Sounds like a neat idea, especially since I will probably be using the same storage facility for the next several years.
I am one of the lucky people who can store their trailer at home, and have power available, but there are others on this site that use solar panels. Hopefully one will chime in - or you can try searching them out and private message them. Try a search on solar panel and I'll bet you find them.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
My RV is also stored in a storage facility without electricty. So I bought a 5 watt solar panel from West Marine. It is the exact width of the front slope of the fifth wheel hitch on my SOB trailer. I silconed the back of the panel to the front of the hitch, screwed the two bottom holes to the hitch and then ran the 8 ft. power cord to the front storage compartment. I couldn't find a way to permantly run it up thru the hitch and into the storage compartment. So I put on a 2 prong quick disconnect and store it inside the hitch when not needed.
I bought the wire from West Marine (bulk rate shows how much each wire is rated for) and connected it from the battery with a fuse and extended it to the front storage compartment. At the end of the wire I installed another 2 prong quick disconnect.
So while at storage I turn off the battery disconnect and plug in the 2 prong quick disconnect and shut the front compartment. No it doesn't pinch the wire.
Haven't had a dead battery yet. Solar panel faces due south and gets sun all day long.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Is this forum awesome or what? I knew I would get my answers from you smart people! Art, you basically answered my question - to clarify, my trailer is backed in to a covered storage - it has a roof and three sides, open in front. I have a F250 SD Diesel with two batteries, so Art - to clarify - what will or won't work when you hook up the trailer to the truck and there is no battery in the trailer? HughM - thanks for the info. Do you remember where you bought the solar panel - brand, model #, etc.? I am fortunate in that the storage lot where the trailer resides has an excellent independent RV repair facility on site (Wagner RV - San Antonio, TX) and I am sure Sonny Wagner could install the solar panel for me once I acquired it and gave him the specs (wire size, etc.). Thanks again for all the help!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:30 AM   #11
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
The solar panel was a Coleman brand and I bought it at the boating store, West Marine. I don't remember the model number. It was easy to install just two wires. Positive and Negative. The two prong quick disconnect and wire connectors were bought at Auto Zone.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 AM   #12
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Is there any need to worry about overcharging the battery with this solar panel setup? I assume a 5 watt panel is too small to "drive" a trickle charger?
Old 12-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
JJ--I live in San Antonio and on my last drive from Loop 410 down Blanco Road there was a West Marine store in the shopping center on the left inside Loop 410. You might call them. As for batteries, I have a 2006 3475 and just replaced my original battery that was made in '05 and the second battery I stalled in '07. So I think keeping the original battery will not be to productive--just my opinion. You and I have talked about batteries before--I have two new Interstate batteries and I believe they will go at least 3+ years. By the way, I store my Monty without power and have only lost the batteries once when I failed to disconnect them. And we usually use our rig atleast every 90 days.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #14
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Thanks, Tim!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Hey fellas, that's a great place to mount a small solar panel, any reason not to use the trailer frame as the ground conductor and the hot battery wire at the end of the pigtail to get the positive back to the battery? Or maybe the 7th unused(backup lights) wire with an alligator clip to the pos. side if you have a disconnect switch turned off. Just a small matter of a piece of copper or brass to plug into the pigtail, then remove the jumper, if used, when getting out of storage.

Tom
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drjjj

Is there any need to worry about overcharging the battery with this solar panel setup? I assume a 5 watt panel is too small to "drive" a trickle charger?
I've never worried about overcharge with our solar panels. But we do have a controller that cuts down the amperage to the batteries when the batteries are nearing full charge. If we don't use any power at all, the solar panels keep the batteries fully charged.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote