Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Frame Flex Problem UPDATE

We appear to be developing the famous frame flex problem. The curb side front corner is separating at the bottom. We see no problems in the bedroom area yet.. but would like to get this fixed before it gets worse. We are located currently near Burlington/Mt Vernon WA and would like to know if anyone has used a welding service in this area or had the frame flex fixed locally. The local dealership is Camping World and I am not too confident about taking it in there.

Update: Communication between the dealer and Keystone resulted in an appt with the factory. We had the Keystone Cougar factory in Pendleton work on our frame flex problem. The welds on both sides were cracked or broken. We now have braces welded in on both sides and all the broken/cracked welds have been redone. It doesn't have a Camp Keystone like Goshen, but we were treated just as well. We are feeling a lot better about arriving in Texas in one piece. Myrna

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I understand Keystone has a repair facility in or near Pendleton, OR. I think that's the right place. Is that anywhere near where you are going on your trip?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Myrna and Bob,

Doug Henry had that problem (or a similar problem) on his Montana. He pulled it up to the Pendelton factory and they fixed everything for him. Since your frame appears to not be too far along I think I'd get in touch with Team Montana and see if they could get you in for a fix.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Pendelton, Or is a Cougar factory. They did the repair on mine. I might sugguest that you pull down the panel under the bedroom over hang and see if the welds are broken. The factory in Pendelton put in all the bracing but failed to re-weld the broken welds and the frame flex continued so I took it to a local muffler shop and they welded it better than new. Keystone was great and took care of all the expenses except for my traveling to Oregon and back. We did make a great vacation out of it though. Good luck and let us all know how it turns out.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Imp, you are right in getting it fixed ASAP because it will do nothing but get worse. I wish there was a way I could show you how Truck Builders in Marion, IA fixed ours. It was costly, however--$3400 but well worth every penny.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We will be contacting Team Montana as our trip next week is near Pendleton. At least they could confirm what is happening. Thanks everyone. It sounds like we also need a name of a welding place to take it to.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Actually if the factory does there job correctly you would not need a welding shop. They should reweld your broken welds, you just need to check there work before you leave there. I did not check there work, just took there word that they welded up the broken welds and after returning home I found that they did not so I took it to a muffler shop because thoes guys can weld anything upside down.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Thanks Doug.. we will let all of you know what happens. Maybe it is time to trade it in?!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
One of those new Big Skys would look awfully pretty!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Quote:
quote:One of those new Big Skys would look awfully pretty!

Sure would....

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Stage 2: Keystone notified and we cannot take it to the factory. Have to go to the dealer first. So we will be stopping at the dealer on the way home tomorrow to have it checked. To quote Brandon Tom, there will be no financial help from Keystone. That new rig is looking better and better!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
"That new rig is looking better and better!!!"

I like your thinking Myrna
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

"That new rig is looking better and better!!!"

I like your thinking Myrna
You'll notice she said nothing about a new Keystone rig!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Keystone has fixed these for no charge for several years and have done so to rigs much older than yours. This, after all, is a safety issue. I think I'd be bumping this one up another step or so at Keystone, if I were you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Steve is correct, and I know someone on the MOC should send you a PM about having their frame flex problem repaired at the service center (Camp Keystone) and there was no charge. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Well the jury is still out. They looked at our rig today and took pictures and the dealer will be talking to Keystone tomorrow. Then the decision will be made on repair and who will pay. So far we have found no broken welds and the flex is not extreme. Of course they didn't take the whole front panel off. The repair guy assured us that he would look when we bring it in for the fix. He said they have a 2003 Big Sky currently in the shop that had weld breaks down the whole side. The dresser and sink areas inside had quite a separation. So the story has not concluded yet... next installment when we get the word from the dealer...

We also left with a fistful of brochures (Montana, Mountaineer, Cougar) and a salesman who would love to put us in a new one so they can have our old one. They can't keep a 3400 on the lot. So who knows.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 AM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you are going to be near the Pendleton factory anyway, I would just go in, play dumb, and ask them to look at it. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't, but you have nothing to lose by trying.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imp

...........We also left with a fistful of brochures (Montana, Mountaineer, Cougar) and a salesman who would love to put us in a new one so they can have our old one. They can't keep a 3400 on the lot. So who knows.
I might be a bit leery, the salesman and the service tech might be in this together to sell a new unit! Just my 2-sense.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our possible frame flex problem was not frame flex at all. We are at the service center and they had the entire front cap off yesterday. The problem was with the sidewall support framing. The welds in aluminum tubing that supports the sidewall had failed in a couple of spots causing the sidewall to move. I repeat..THERE WAS NO PROBLEM WITH THE FRAME THERE WAS NO FRAME FLEX.
In this case the symptoms were that the separation along the side bottom of the cap occurred when the truck was OFF the camper and closed up with the truck was attached. The sidewall was moving because it had become unattached to the framing. They repaired and re enforced that area as well as adding gussets in the pin box area and the propane compartment area. Even tho we use our 3400 hard the frame was solid. That perhaps that area might be built a bit more sturdy is another matter.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #20
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Ours had the same issue as Richfaa's, if I understand his post correctly.

The service center spotted the problem when we had it in for another unrelated issue. Darryll explaned that the aluminum wall welds were the issue. There are 3 alumunium square tubes (maybe 2" x 2") that are welded together to make the bottom of the wall. The factory slides a board into the bottom tube to use as a support for the screws so they don't eventually pull through the aluminum. Darryll said the fix is to put boards in the other 2 tubes and 6" long screws to anchor it all back together. My actual frame was fine, just the aluminum wall and they fixed it on both sides.

The only sign of a problem on mine was the molding that runs along the bottom of the overhang (under the bedroom window) was moving slightly and had rubbed some of the decal off.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote