Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222
Defrost frigerator

Just wondering how often do you or anyone defrost your frigerator mine seams frost up fast anyone have this trouble.

rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
In high humidity the fride will ice up faster on the fins. When the ice or frost covers the fins then it is time. take food out of freezer as there is no drain to speak of like a reg fridge. I put a large bath towel and using a hair dryer to melt ice DO NOT USE A KNIFE OR SCREWDRIVER it can end up poking hole in unit costing$$$$
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blarkman

In high humidity the fride will ice up faster on the fins. When the ice or frost covers the fins then it is time. take food out of freezer as there is no drain to speak of like a reg fridge. I put a large bath towel and using a hair dryer to melt ice DO NOT USE A KNIFE OR SCREWDRIVER it can end up poking hole in unit costing$$$$
Have you been turning the refrig off during this process??
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Yes, otherwise it will take much longer as the coolant will be still trying to keep the fins cold. As my fridge is next to the sink I just put the frozen items in sink and covered with a towel. I also should have added I put towel over items in fridge to catch the melting ice.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
All of the factory reps tell you not to use a hair dryer... Dometic and Norcold. I can't remember the reason but I know that I used to do that and have now stopped. I find that if I defrost monthly It only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to melt.. I put my frozen food in a cooler.. Turn off the fridge and leave the freezer doors wide open.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Well I and others regulary used them in appliance repairs, and they were heat guns with a much higher wattage of course you need to be wise enough not to apply to much heat to melt the plastic. The other reason for doing this in my opinion it does not take as long, the food doesn't thaw and the fridge food does not heat up, and yes if you do it monthly you will have less ice and time
Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
PS I forgot, I defrost our freezers the same way and have done so for years with no problems
Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
We have a Norcold in our unit and it defrosts the fridge coils every 40 hours. The freezer has to be done manually and a month would be a good time schedule.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I use a hairdryer too, but I'm very careful to keep it moving and to not hold it inside the freezer. That is, I prop the door open and keep the hairdryer outside. Only takes about 10-15 minutes. As for the fins, weather permitting (not too hot), we keep the temp setting at 3, then the fins don't frost up. As for how often I do it, I do it on an "as needed" basis ... and when I'm in the mood.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rich6506547

Just wondering how often do you or anyone defrost your frigerator mine seams frost up fast anyone have this trouble.
To defrost the refrigerator faster, I use a portable heater. I open both doors of refrigerator, empty freezer and refrigerator. I put the portable electric heater facing the open refrigerator on chair and have it refrigerator height. In no time the ice melts withhout melting the plastic or doing any damage. Once all the ice is melted, I dry everything good and turn the refrigerator back on. Once cool again, I put all the stuff back in refrigerator and freezer.

I would never put the heater inside the fridge -- only place it a short distance in front of open fridge. This works good for me. We have an extra little fridge we can keep things cold or an ice chest would work too.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Keeping the fridge door open longer then necessary, high humidity and putting hot food in fridge will speed up the frosting process. most of these units cool by contact not like a regular fridge which blows the cold air across the food