Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
Jfryer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28054
Norcold Fridge isn't cooling.

Help, our Norcold fridge stopped cooling in our 2021 3120rl. The Freezer is working find and the fridge appears to be operating and the fan is blowing air but it's not cold. I read that if the frost/ice has built up that could be the cause so I have cleaned and defrosted. No joy still not cooling and have it set at the lowest setting now. Any suggestions, RV fridge is definitely not in my wheelhouse. Thank you.

Jfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Common problem .. guessing ma6be Norcold 2118 fridge..

Start by verifying the center door flap closes properly .. do this by opening the right lower door and verify center flap is closed

Also check the bottom of the doors and make sure they aren’t bottomed out against the shell.. if so shim the doors with washers

Do a seal check using a dollar bill inserted at several locations on each lower door seal.. the dollar bill should be hard to pull lit of the seal is mating properly
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:14 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Jfryer, do you have a thermometer in each compartment? Just curious as to temps. A common problem, as Chuck said, is the center flap. 5/16” washers are our friend. I would concur if you’re in the 40’s but if it’s warmer then you may have another issue. If it isn’t the flapper, then you might try what we do with all electronics when there is an issue - remove all power and reset. As a side note, if I ever have a fridge replacement it will be the JC refrigeration mod. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #4
Jfryer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Common problem .. guessing ma6be Norcold 2118 fridge..

Start by verifying the center door flap closes properly .. do this by opening the right lower door and verify center flap is closed

Also check the bottom of the doors and make sure they aren’t bottomed out against the shell.. if so shim the doors with washers

Do a seal check using a dollar bill inserted at several locations on each lower door seal.. the dollar bill should be hard to pull lit of the seal is mating properly
Yes its the 2118. Everything is sealed up tight. I did the washer thing last summer to fix the alarm thing. when you put your hand in the air circulating doesn't feel all that cold by the fan. I'm trying to avoid calling a mobile tech.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
What's the outside temp where you are? That can have an impact on RV fridges, especially when they are in a slide and it's hot outside. Even worse when that slide is directly in the sun. Is there a readout on your fridge that tells you what the fridge temp is?

You might have other problems with yours but inadequate air flow behind the fridge in hot weather will often cause the fridge to warm up. Adding fans to pull the hot air off of the top of the fridge, and provide better air movement through the exterior fins might help you. Adding a fan inside the fridge to move the colder air from the fins can help as well.

Ours is a Dometic but the principle is the same. Adding fans helped ours a lot.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:08 PM   #6
Jfryer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28054
Thank you. It's 100 with 30% humidity. We are currently in San Antonio. I don't have a thermostat in it but Amazon is delivering one today. Ours is in the slide but we are under a huge tree at in the shade. Last month we were in open sun and didn't have any issues with temps ranging from 85-104. This is the first time in over a year full time in all kinds of weather where we have noticed things not being as cool.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:36 AM   #7
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
My refer (model 2118) is doing the same thing. It was diagnosed as needing a new cooling unit. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I set a small bar refer at the end of the island for now.
Good luck with yours.
raygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:10 PM   #8
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I feel your pain, ours was the same way so what I did which help a little is I added some pc fan in the back where the vents are, I put pc fans on the bottom to bring in air and I put pc fan up top to push the hot air out. I tap in to the power in the back so I could power up my fans and everytime I leave for a trip I turn on the fan and they run continually until I turn them off.

It help a little but it's only so much you can do with these, and especially when the heat is beaten on the side where the fridge is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3889.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	12425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3890.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	12426   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3891.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	12427   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3893.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	12428   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3894.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	12429  

Name:	DSCN3895.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	12430   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3896.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	12431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3897.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	12432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3898.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	12433  
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:14 AM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We defrosted ours 4 days ago. It has finally cooled down to 12⁰F in the freezer, 32⁰F in the fridge.
I already put 1 computer fan in the fridge. It's tied into the existing fan. It really helps Stabilize the fridge temp.
I have another fan I'm going to put in the top outside. I may put 3 in there like Sparticus did.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #10
Jfryer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28054
I think I found the issue. Got up and into the outside access. compartments was hot. First of all that flashing sucks and should be easier to remove, 2nd the fans are set lower than the access point not making it easy to get to. However, looks like 1 fan completely failed and the bottom half fell off, I don't even see blades. 2nd fan isn't kicking on at all. Presumably fried from carrying the load for who knows how long. I can't even get my paws down there without cutting out the flashing and if in fact the bottom dropped off where is it? I call uncle and called a mobile repair. I'm not comfortable pulling the fridge out or cutting up flashing on my first go. I'll keep you all posted and will be taking picks. On the upside the freezer is holding at 16 degrees but the fridge is 49 this morning but back up to 59 as we open and close it during the day. Tossed all the food that was going bad, thank got it wasn't much.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #11
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfryer View Post
I think I found the issue. Got up and into the outside access. compartments was hot. First of all that flashing sucks and should be easier to remove, 2nd the fans are set lower than the access point not making it easy to get to. However, looks like 1 fan completely failed and the bottom half fell off, I don't even see blades. 2nd fan isn't kicking on at all. Presumably fried from carrying the load for who knows how long. I can't even get my paws down there without cutting out the flashing and if in fact the bottom dropped off where is it? I call uncle and called a mobile repair. I'm not comfortable pulling the fridge out or cutting up flashing on my first go. I'll keep you all posted and will be taking picks. On the upside the freezer is holding at 16 degrees but the fridge is 49 this morning but back up to 59 as we open and close it during the day. Tossed all the food that was going bad, thank got it wasn't much.

Yes, I seen that flasher I was quick to remove it, we went to coast to coast cross country using it and I please with this setup, it's not prefect but for what I had it work good.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:41 PM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I had to add a fan in addition to the original behind the fridge. It's wired to a temperature on/off switch. It sure helps but I still want to add a fan to exhaust air out of the top grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	12436  
Old 07-11-2022, 02:37 AM   #13
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Yeah, it will help it get very hot back their so they need air in and air out the factory put some thin piece of wood as a flasher well I took mines off.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:08 PM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I had some spare time (we are currently at Fundy NP Headquarters Campground, NB, Canada, heading for Nova Scotia) and checked the back openings of the fridge. The air deflector at the top is ok. Could be better. I studied the Norcold manual and wiring diagram. At the top of the back of the fridge on the first heat fin, there is a thermostat switch that is supposed to turn on at 130⁰F. This switch turns on all 3 cooling fans in the back of the fridge. I checked mine with a laser thermometer. It was 135⁰F and the fridge fans were NOT running. In fact I don't think I have ever seen them run. I jumpered the bottom fan to 12vdc (you can see it by removing the bottom cover). It worked fine.
I measured 12vdc going I to the thermostat switch, but nothing coming out so I jumpered around the switch and ALL the fans kicked on!!!.
I bought a digital 12vdc thermostat control switch
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNWDKZL...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I will be installing in place of the failed thermostat switch. I'll let you know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220710_180945.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	12469  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:31 PM   #15
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Looking good, what I did is I took out that wood that you have in your pics and replace it with some aluminum flasher, I block the sides and made one from the top of the back of the fridge to the top of the opening.

I curve it up to the top so the hot will direct up and out, I'm not sure if I took a pics of that because I had to come back, and did that, I ran out of time. The wood was blocking some of the hot air and I wanted to get as much of the hot air out as possible.

At the time that I made the install I did thought about adding a thermostat switch but I was at it for about two or three days I just said forget it I will just install a off and on switch.