Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2024, 12:23 PM   #1
KatRobMcD

M.O.C. #31728
External Ladder missing

Our 2022 3931FB came without a ladder mounted to the frame. Anyone else in the same situation? How do you determine where the supporting structure is to mount an aftermarket ladder? Suggestions on where to order from or who to install? We've made due with a portable A-frame ladder but considering adding something more permanent to check the roof and slide tops.

KatRobMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 01:43 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kathryn,

The ladder attaches to the roof and the back of the trailer. Sounds like it may have been in an accident and the ladder was not replaced?

The roof attachment likely carries most of the load. A good RV body shop should be able to install a new ladder.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:13 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Did you buy new? Used?

Here is where the ladder should be. Is there no sign it was ever there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1700.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	16994  
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:24 PM   #4
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
As a result of the pandemic, many industries experienced supply chain interruptions, including Keystone. As a result, there was a point in time where the ladder supply was disrupted and units were being shipped without a ladder. There is a good chance that you have one of those units. I would look at a unit like yours to see where they were attached and investigate those locations in your unit.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 11:43 AM   #5
KatRobMcD

M.O.C. #31728
Thanks. This 2022 was not pre-owned so not likely in an accident. Thanks though.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:49 AM   #6
KatRobMcD

M.O.C. #31728
@Rotnjonny - Sounds like you nailed it. We bought ours new and there is no evidence that a ladder was ever put on our rig. Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't think about it being a resource issue leftover from Pandemic days. And it didn't help that our salesman gave us a line of BS that the manufacturers are starting to make them all without ladders because of the structural integrity being impacted.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:02 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatRobMcD View Post
@Rotnjonny - Sounds like you nailed it. We bought ours new and there is no evidence that a ladder was ever put on our rig. Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't think about it being a resource issue leftover from Pandemic days. And it didn't help that our salesman gave us a line of BS that the manufacturers are starting to make them all without ladders because of the structural integrity being impacted.
If this was a purchase in the last year and you didn't get a credit from the dealer for a missing ladder noted on the contract I would ask them to fix it. The ladder is standard equipment.

I believe the dealers that sold legacy models without disk brakes gave folks a credit for the brakes.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:22 PM   #8
KatRobMcD

M.O.C. #31728
@AZ Traveler, we purchased it May 2022 and the dealer (Camping World in Marion IL) is closed down. Interesting thought for a credit. Too late however
Old 05-05-2024, 12:48 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You might try contacting Montana Customer Service and see what they have to say. Perhaps CW headquarters might be another source to try?
You definitely should have has a ladder. If Covid caused a shortage, there had to be an adjustment. Either a discount or a plan to install it later.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:14 PM   #10
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
I bought one from Keystone through Affinity in Goshen last year at the rally. Cost was $245. I installed it myself. You might be able to use a stud finder to find the backer locations in the back wall since yours was never installed. The roof should be pretty straight forward as the ladder is premade with the roof bends and mounts. The mounting brackets to attach it on the back of the RV came in a bag with the hardware. I had to drill the tubing at the appropriate locations as the replacement ladder came without any holes so the ladder can be aligned to the backers. In my case that was easy as I was replacing the ladder where someone had tapped it in a couple of places and it wasn't stable (at least not enough for me to keep climbing it..).
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:01 PM   #11
KatRobMcD

M.O.C. #31728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
You might try contacting Montana Customer Service and see what they have to say. Perhaps CW headquarters might be another source to try?
You definitely should have has a ladder. If Covid caused a shortage, there had to be an adjustment. Either a discount or a plan to install it later.
I suppose it can't hurt to try! CW definitely did not give us any credit since they claimed that the lack of ladder was intentional on this 2022 model. Obviously, incorrect info. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:03 PM   #12
KatRobMcD

M.O.C. #31728
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&P RV View Post
I bought one from Keystone through Affinity in Goshen last year at the rally. Cost was $245. I installed it myself. You might be able to use a stud finder to find the backer locations in the back wall since yours was never installed. The roof should be pretty straight forward as the ladder is premade with the roof bends and mounts. The mounting brackets to attach it on the back of the RV came in a bag with the hardware. I had to drill the tubing at the appropriate locations as the replacement ladder came without any holes so the ladder can be aligned to the backers. In my case that was easy as I was replacing the ladder where someone had tapped it in a couple of places and it wasn't stable (at least not enough for me to keep climbing it..).
Good to know. We are toying with the idea of going to this year's rally. Never been to one so am unsure what goes on for the week. Couldn't find an itinerary or list of events/activities.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:52 PM   #13
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I find the ladder on the back to be flimsy. Every time I get on it, I feel like it is going to rip off; I use it as little as possible.

If I was in your position I would not mount a ladder; just carry a telescoping ladder.

I carry a 12.5' telescoping ladder. I paid $161 for it on Amazon 5 years ago; now it is $370. There are cheaper ones, but I can't vouch for the quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also purchased the silicone pad for it to prevent sliding and protect the RV.

https://xtendandclimb.com/product/top-rung-cover/
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:55 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The 2024 Rally Agenda won''t be published for a while. But it is likely to be similar to last year's Rally Agenda.
Here is a link to the 2023 Agenda. As you will see, it can be a busy week.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=89889

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:27 PM   #15
KatRobMcD

M.O.C. #31728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The 2024 Rally Agenda won''t be published for a while. But it is likely to be similar to last year's Rally Agenda.
Here is a link to the 2023 Agenda. As you will see, it can be a busy week.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=89889
Thanks!! Seeing last year's itinerary is extremely helpful.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:08 AM   #16
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
My dealer told me that Keystone had a supply shortage on ladders so some didn't come with a ladder. The ladders are flimsy. I added stand offs on the roof to help support. It worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder stand off.png
Views:	17
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	17007  
Old 05-08-2024, 01:37 PM   #17
PDGx

M.O.C. #24867
I would second the use of a collapsible ladder instead of the rear mount. The mounted ladders are a PITA to navigate from vertical, to the roof, and worse in reverse.

A slanted ladder is easier to navigate onto, and from the roof, stepping off the side of the ladder while standing upright, and not crawling over the ladder onto the top.

The collapsible ladders you can use anywhere, directly onto each slide out, or using them to access windows for cleaning.

We have both, and the collapsible ladder gets used almost exclusively.
PDGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:29 PM   #18
krobb
Established Member

M.O.C. #18155
External Ladder Missing

I have a 2021 3931FB and have the ladder. For what it’s worth, I just ran across a video the other day that shows a manufacture utilizing a telescoping ladder that has a fastener located at the rear of their rig. No ladder to get in the way, just raise to desired height and you are good to go. If I didn’t already have a ladder I would look at this as a possible fix. Good Luck!
krobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:56 AM   #19
KatRobMcD

M.O.C. #31728
Thank you all for your input. We agree with the general consensus that the mounted ladders are flimsy & awkward and will likely just stick with our collapsible one. It was interesting to learn that our lack of a mounted ladder on our new rig was due to supply shortage and not (as the salesman told us) a new standard of production.

Tags
frame support, ladder