Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 06:12 AM   #1
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
My Public Retraction

I have to publically retract my griping over the California 55 mph speed limit for trailers. While it's been 35 years since I lived in California, we have just completed our first two weeks traveling down 101, currently at the Russian River near Cloverdale. While the speed limit was 65 in several places, there was only a few sections of highway that I felt comfortable towing any faster than 55. And Californians are still in a big hurry to get somewhere, so we just used plenty of turnouts. But I can't complain any longer about the 55 mph limit, at least on this California highway.

pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah I love driving fast but not with the trailer 55-60 for me UNLESS making a run for going up a big grade then 65,and like you most of us just use the Pull overs ,it is just alot less stressfull,BY The Way are you staying at the Russian River Thousand Trails??? What a NIGHTMARE for a 40ft rig
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We went out to SF and Half Moon Bay, then up over the bridge on the way back. Saw lots of 55 mph signs on the way in and were passed by no end of trucks/trailers before just deciding to ignore it. Also saw lots of cops, but no one ever blinked. I don't think the enforce it at all - just like in VA, no one enforces 55 mph anywhere.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I think more people are complaining about the double nickel on the freeways like I -5 or I-10 etc. The 101 is not to bad to pull a trailer in most places that I traveled on it if I remember correctly. Hyway 1 is a whole other animal, 10/15 MPH on it if your lucky. The wife (and I) found out the shortest route is not necessarily the best or quickest route back in the late nineties. That was in the early computer days and we had a Rand-Mcnalley trip planner back then, the route was not a good one for us.

Tom Marty
Old 08-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We were staying at Duncan Mills a few weeks ago. Love that area!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
We are at Russian River Thousand Trails, and actually it's been a great experience! We had read all the mixed reviews and were braced for the unknown, but we travelled on Sunday which usually gives a better selection of sites, and we got a beautiful pull through with partial shade and satellite. No complaints!

101 through Santa Rosa is HORRIBLE. Some of the worst road I've encountered in the nation so far! I just thought Oklahoma was bad!
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote