Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
swap Table for dinette ?

I am ready to swap the table and chairs in our 4 month old Mountaineer for a dinette. the wife and I have moved the table and chairs around to every postion we can think of and are not happy with any positions. We have the Desert Sunset color scheme.

Would anyone want to trade their nearly new dinette (same color scheme)that would be resonably close to the DFW (Texas area) ?
Actually we have parked the Mountaineer on our land in the San Saba, Texas area, so that may be considered an option area.

Second question; can you purchase the dinette new from Keystone ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Your dealer could order a new dinette, but the question is, would they be willing to install it? I would start with a call to them first...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
My parents swapped the table and chairs for a dinette in their Cardinal. The dealer ordered the dinette from Forest River and installed it so your dealer should be willing to do the same.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Since we just took our Montana as it sat on the lot, we have not thought a lot about it, but this thread raises a good question. Would any of you who have thought about it, or especially if you have made a change from one to the other, what are the pros and cons of dinette versis free standing table and chairs?

I would appreciate any comments.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave, our experience is that the foam padding in the seats wears out. In our prior TT, the foam was so bad it was like having none. We figure the same will happen with the seats on the free standing chairs, but will be easier to replace, and probably cheaper.

We like the flexibility that free standing chairs offer, combined with the sliding top table, it is a winner for us.

The dinette is gonna sit there, cannot move the chairs, you have to slide in and out of them, I got so tired of doing that in the ole TT.

This will surely be a PERSONAL preference item. We like the height of the seats on the chairs better, the fact that we can take them out from under the table and use for additional seating any where in Tana (you could even take em out side, if necessary, and we have done that).

The storage under the dinette's is nice, but I got real tired of taking all those pillows off to get under there to retrieve.

The free standing table and chairs makes it feel more like home to us.

Betcha there are a lot of reasons, good question!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
When we bought ours, it had the table and chairs. We wanted the booth so we made our deal, that our Dealer would order the Booth and take the Table and Chairs in on trade. When the Booth arrived, I did a self install. It was quite easy. Then I just dropped off the T&C's back at our Dealers.

Glad we did it. Love the extra storage.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the booth in our previous TT and we got the T&C's in the 3400.It was more of a "lets try something different" than anything else.We thought the T&C's might offer more room but we don't think so.The sliding table feature is a plus but that's about it.If you decide to rearrange the camper the T&C's will move easier. Whatever pleases you I guess...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm not sure how the Mountaineer chairs are made so I will direct my answer to David. Like Carol, we have had both table/chairs and booth. i wouldn't go back to booth for any amount of money. I love the storage in our chairs and our sliding table. We don't need the extra bed the booth makes - our grandkids wouldn't fit there anyway! There is room to put things under the table and under the chairs when traveling - we haven't done it yet but we might when we start full timing.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Agree, the T & C don't take up LESS room, but if you take out 2 chairs like we did before it was a week old, that makes a comfort level zone difference.

How does it go??

Cocktails for 10, Mexican Train for 6, Dinner for 4 (make that 2 in our case) and sleeps 2.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, friends, appreciate all these observations. Now, just one more: has anyone removed the booth/dinette (DIY) and replaced with table and chairs? I have considered doing so, but would like to have the benefit of the experience of someone who has actually done so.

And, BTW, we have the correct color scheme for our neighbors in Forney if that would ever work out.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We removed the dinette from our Mountaineer and replaced it with a table and folding oak chairs. (I built cabinets to hold the folding chairs for travel and for when we just need two.) The dinette is taking up space in my garage. Debbie is making throw cushions out of the dinette seat cushions. If I had known someone wanted it we would have robbed the material. We really like the table and chairs much better. Since we went with folding chairs we just put oput as menay as we need.

Here's a link with some photos of the changes: http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...4/lam_flr.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:11 AM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We changed our chairs. We also use only two at the table and one chair for desk. So 3 chairs take up less room than 4 did. These chairs are oak and are not as heavy as the orginal chairs. We may get cushions for them later. So far have not had a need for tie on cushions.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #13
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

Thanks, friends, appreciate all these observations. Now, just one more: has anyone removed the booth/dinette (DIY) and replaced with table and chairs? I have considered doing so, but would like to have the benefit of the experience of someone who has actually done so.

And, BTW, we have the correct color scheme for our neighbors in Forney if that would ever work out.
Dave I may be interested in trading our 4 chairs and Table for a dinette. (same color scheme and condition ) I currently am looking into purchcasing a dinette, but I imagine the price will be high. I would much rather swap them out. I have moved my table( 4 screws removed ) around in the Mountaineer, so I no that is no problem. The dinette most likely comes apart with screws as well. I can't imagine it being any problem.
I have my 2001 Mobile Scout (for sale) in the driveway so I will look at its dinette this evening for a "look see".
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Countryguy, I have a little hand-painted sign from a craft fair that says This RV serves cocktails for 8, dinner for 6, but sleeps only 2. Just had to have it!
We had a dinette in our TT and really liked it - in that rig. There was so little storage, we really needed the extra space. But I agree, having to move everything to access from the top is a drag. We have seen some of the big Class A's that have storage under the dinette, but with drawers that roll out on really nice drawer roller tracks (you know, thingees!). Now that would make a difference. However, we, too, like the T&C as we can move them around to suit our needs. Agree - personal preference! Good luck with whatever choices you make!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
CanDo,

ooooo, great sign! HA HA

We had to add in the "Mexican Train for 6" after a few months in the Valley with some die hard train players! (hmmmmm Donna??)
Old 06-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224

quote:
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

Dave I may be interested in trading our 4 chairs and Table for a dinette. (same color scheme and condition ) I currently am looking into purchcasing a dinette, but I imagine the price will be high. I would much rather swap them out. I have moved my table( 4 screws removed ) around in the Mountaineer, so I no that is no problem. The dinette most likely comes apart with screws as well. I can't imagine it being any problem.
I have my 2001 Mobile Scout (for sale) in the driveway so I will look at its dinette this evening for a "look see".[/quote]

Just so we don't leave this thread 'hanging', I sent a private message to our neighbors in Forney that Shirley has decided that she needs the storage she is using in the dinette, and that we had better stay with what we have. Sorry if I left a false impression.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #17
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Countryguy, guess this means that sooner or later we're gonna have to meet up with you all in RGV and you can teach us the game!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
oh, we are not the teachers, ohhhhhh noooooooo, talk to Judy Denner bout that! HA HA we are novices, only played 2 times, first a learning session, second so that Donna would not have the train dt's! I believe we did not even finish the second game, so many rounds to that game! Nope, ya better find some real players to teach ya! (hint: go to one of the Rally's this fall, Judy will be there and will willingly teach ya! eh, Judy?? )