Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Florida Panhandle?

If the weather holds here in southern IL. Sharon and I are hoping to get out for a week on New years day. We are looking at going to the Pensacola area because that is about as far as we can make it in one day. We have not been to that area and wondered if anyone can recommend a campground or two?
Thanks,
Rick.

Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That whole area of the Gulf Coast has been badly damaged by recent hurricanes. We stayed at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, AL this fall. It was badly mangled, but the sites have all been rebuilt with paved pads, 50 amp power, water, and sewer. Compared to what it used to be like, there is a lot of damage to vegetation and wildlife, but it is coming back. It is about 50 miles west of Pensacola. It is an easy drive from the noth, most of the way straight down I-65. I don't know how you drive, but I could not see me making it in one day. If you need an overnight stopover, there is a campground called "Texas T", at I-65 exit 27, about 50 miles south of Nashville TN, that makes a good overnight stop. It is close to the highway and easy to get to.

I hope you enjoy your trip, but be prepard to see some hurricane damage.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My first impression agrees with you, OntMont. That's a long trip for one day's drive but a determined Montana driver might just make it. I'm glad to hear that Gulf State Park is back in business. It was shocking for us to see the damage when we were there last year.

By the way, is that your Montana still parked in Texas T? We were flying past there just last week and saw one parked there.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:39 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

By the way, is that your Montana still parked in Texas T? We were flying past there just last week and saw one parked there.
That would be ours. Glad to know it is still there. Hope to be picking it up and heading for RGV in a few weeks.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, it looked very much intact when we flashed by. If it's not too personal, how did you choose to park it there? It's a nice park but out in the middle of almost nowhere. I've told Glen that if we had lots of money and wanted to work, we should build a campground along I-65 close to Franklin and Nashville. There's nothing in that area until you get to Texas T.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote