Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #41
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Chill. I was simply making those who may consider a delete be aware of the illegality of it and the possible consequences in the sell or trade of a deleted vehicle or possible fine if some jurisdiction decides to begin rigid enforcement.
I'm chill. Just a rant regarding, nevermind, I cheat a little too.

gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:04 AM   #42
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
What do you all do with your empty def jugs? I know some try to get it at the pump but, it’s not always possible. I’m only asking because they aren’t recyclable and, I toss mine in the trash to go to the landfills. Also how many of you get nauseous from the fumes from regen? I know some besides myself that this happens to.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:41 AM   #43
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
I buy cans mostly at Walmart as they have constant $7ish 2.5gal tanks. I try to empty them into the truck on their lot and leave the cans in their waste bin.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #44
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t care what anybody does with their truck, camper or anything. It’s none of my business. If law enforcement doesn’t like it they will let you, me know.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #45
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
As of now, tuners are no longer sold to delete. No shops will do it now. If One brings the truck to a shop, ie dealer, they will say ‘get that thing out of here. Fines are huge.. you did a delete, that’s your fault..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #46
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The shop I go to are most happy to work on my truck.
Lynwood
Old 07-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #47
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
No doubt that states and towns and even different shops within the same town are going to vary on how they handle deletes, probably depending on their concern of local enforcement. But it appears enforcement is currently very light, if at all, in most places. But no one knows what tomorrow will bring, especially if local jurisdictions with air quality issues or "green" officials decide to clamp down on anything and everything they can touch.

In Texas, diesels are not currently required to undergo an emissions test to pass inspection. Only gas engines. But failure of inspection for any reason means you cannot register the vehicle since a valid new inspection is required each year for a new registration. A new law they passed 2-3 years ago.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #48
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Where we live in the south western part of Va we don’t have emissions testing.
Lynwood
Old 07-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #49
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
No emissions testing on diesels in NY State either. Yet
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:03 PM   #50
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I don’t care what anybody does with their truck, camper or anything. It’s none of my business. If law enforcement doesn’t like it they will let you, me know.
Lynwood
Agree. That's why i keep the parts. I have no qualms about changing it back if need be but until then i leave it alone.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #51
Silverado Sam
Established Member

M.O.C. #17348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Keep your parts. Don't know about other states, but in Texas it is illegal to sell or offer for sell any vehicle that has had the emissions system modified. Here you would either need to put it back original, or tell the dealer (on a trade) or buyer (if individual) of that illegal status. Have seen a post or two where someone said their dealer would not take it on trade.
It doesn't really matter which state other than your chances of getting caught. It is a federal offense to modify the emission system of any vehicle. It makes no difference if your state has emission tests or not and the fine can cost you as much as $20,000.00. Good luck with that. I would probably do it too.
Silverado Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #52
Edd

M.O.C. #26342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
just did a delete if anyone is interested let me know and I'll talk to you about the process.
Be careful coming into to California, I have a very close friend telling about the California street racing task force and I was at a car show recently and I witnessed the impounding of a handful cars and diesel trucks for emission related alterations. So I asked one of the agents what was the story. They are targeting any vehicle that has any emission retaliated alterations especially diesels with DEF delete, EGR delete! And it dose not matter if your vehicle is form out of state! He said that if you enter California highways with these deletions you are subject to the same laws. Be careful!!
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #53
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I deleted my 2014 Ram in 2017.

After going through nearly a dozen dealerships throughout North America (US and CAN), none were able to make my vehicle dependable. I was a travelling road hazard with the stock emissions vehicle.

Not going to get into the specific emissions issues in this forum, but after spending $50k+ on a vehicle that could not reliably be fixed, I turned to aftermarket solutions, THAT WORKED!

I still happily drive my emissions free diesel vehicle everyday. Call me an Outlaw....better yet, report this post for illegal activity!!!. Fixing your truck is similar to how going to work is illegal nowadays! Shame on us outlaws!!!
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:03 AM   #54
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Just curious what tuner you used. I originally had the SCT GTX tuner, but it continually had problems with the mag cable, replace the head 2 times and cable 3 times. Finally got them to send me a Livewire TS+. So far so good, but the head is so small and doesn't have some of the capabilities of the GTX.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #55
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Just curious what tuner you used...
Mine is a Raceme Tuner with stock engine tune and aftermarket transmission tune.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #56
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtncrash1 View Post
What do you all do with your empty def jugs? I know some try to get it at the pump but, it’s not always possible. I’m only asking because they aren’t recyclable and, I toss mine in the trash to go to the landfills. Also how many of you get nauseous from the fumes from regen? I know some besides myself that this happens to.
I throw my empties in the recycle bin and let them decide ware it should go. As for the smell, I believe the truck needs to be going faster than 35 to do a regen. I am not sure what you are smelling. If it's the DEF then go to the dealer and get their DEF nozzle. It locks into the hole and it stops that stuff from spilling all over your truck. I never buy it at the pumps. Every time I see them they are crusty. Not wanting to take a chance on getting something in my tank. We have the same truck We use so little DEf that the cost of getting it anywhere is not a big deal.

More comment on the topic.

Deleting your truck in no way makes it run cleaner. That just makes no sense to me Sure it may make it I guess run better but that's what they say about changing the oil. Now my truck runs better. I also don't think adding a tune gives anyone more power and better fuel millage. There is no way to get more power without adding more fuel.

But hey if you want to take this stuff off your truck i don't think it pays to advertise it on the interweb. But if you do and you get caught please post that up as well.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #57
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
More comment on the topic.

Deleting your truck in no way makes it run cleaner. That just makes no sense to me Sure it may make it I guess run better but that's what they say about changing the oil. Now my truck runs better. I also don't think adding a tune gives anyone more power and better fuel millage. There is no way to get more power without adding more fuel.

But hey if you want to take this stuff off your truck i don't think it pays to advertise it on the interweb. But if you do and you get caught please post that up as well.
You don't know what your talking about. Pure speculation and bad info on the internet.

Deleting it does make the internals of the engine run cleaner. That's the point of the emissions is to prevent it from going in the atmosphere. The exhaust gasses are recycled through the engine via the exhaust gas recirculation valve. If you take your EGR valve off, you will see the soot build up in the valve that is being recycled through your engine to be regen'd in the Select Catalyst Reduction SCR. The fact that you have to use more diesel fuel to burn off the recycled gasses is very inefficient. Thats where the 1-2mpg increase is seen on a stock delete. Tunes beyond stock can increase hp dramatically. There are lots of ways to increase power without adding fuel. It's what the manufacturers do each year to get bumps in hp. The aftermarket industry is just better at it because it's their focus.

Many of us who have deleted are just fixing problems that we expected the manufacturer to not create. We are not trying to create more power or don't care about the environment. We just want the $50k automobile to function as intended and be dependable.
There is an aftermarket industry to meet that demand. No one who repairs their vehicle is going to jail in the USA. Maybe some other commie country, but not here.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #58
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
“Run cleaner” is s matter of view point. Yes, the internals of the engine probably run cleaner. But the junk going out the exhaust pipe are certainly not cleaner. And that is where the legal issues come in.

SCR helps reduce the nitrous oxides released in the exhaust to the atmosphere. Also the bane of the power industry.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #59
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This thread reminds me of something the governor of Montana said years ago when the wolves were just reintroduced to Yellowstone ‘shoot shovel and shut up’.
Lynwood
Old 07-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #60
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote