Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Legacy Package Value?

I'm about to take possession of our 2020 3120RL and am thinking of adding the legacy package. My primary requirement is the disc brakes but the other adds are surge suppression, generator prep, side and rear cameras, electric power cord reel, rear fiberglass cap, InCommand and hardwood cabinet framing and of course paint.
I feel an onboard surge suppression system is required but the specs are very vague, no brand name. Our current rig has Progressive EMS and I don't want to step down. Does anyone know details on the surge suppression offering?
Otherwise, any opinions on the Legacy package?
I wish we could pick these adds individually but...

penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I'm pretty sure if they were including an EMS, they would have said so. All they say is surge suppression, so I would expect all that is, is a simple surge arrester. I would still want the Progressive EMS, regardless of what may come installed.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
I have it. Love the disc brakes.
riflegunbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
If you are about to: 'about to take possession of our 2020 3120R' it is kinda of late if you are getting it now.

You can't just add a legacy package when it is nearly here.

Personally I think the 'whole paint job' is a waste.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We have the older legacy package which unfortunately doesn't have the disc brakes which of course we all would love to have.
The hardwood cabinetry is extra value.
We love the rear cap.
We did not order the paint and never would.
We just have the rear camera and it is ok but find it small and little difficult to see in certain conditions.
The power cord is a wonderful "Idea" but our's is very flimsy and the chain is very prone to jumping off if you apply too much strain to unit.
We love, love, the InCommand system.
We would not give up our Progressive EMS for a leap of faith to some cheap on board system Keystone might add on.

So, for us, if we ordered again it would be best if we could pick and choose options for an individual add on price.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
We use surge guard 50 amp best out there. Protects us from brownouts high voltage and spikes.
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
2019/2020 Montana Legacy Surge protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by penra View Post
I'm about to take possession of our 2020 3120RL and am thinking of adding the legacy package. My primary requirement is the disc brakes but the other adds are surge suppression, generator prep, side and rear cameras, electric power cord reel, rear fiberglass cap, InCommand and hardwood cabinet framing and of course paint.
I feel an onboard surge suppression system is required but the specs are very vague, no brand name. Our current rig has Progressive EMS and I don't want to step down. Does anyone know details on the surge suppression offering?
Here are the specs for the surge protection currently included with the Legacy package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protector PD52DCS 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	4054  
Old 06-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
If you are about to: 'about to take possession of our 2020 3120R' it is kinda of late if you are getting it now.

You can't just add a legacy package when it is nearly here.

Personally I think the 'whole paint job' is a waste.
The dealer has them in stock so I can select one if I decide on it.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootana View Post
Here are the specs for the surge protection currently included with the Legacy package.
Wow, thanks! Where did you find that?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarMar View Post
We have the older legacy package which unfortunately doesn't have the disc brakes which of course we all would love to have.
The hardwood cabinetry is extra value.
We love the rear cap.
We did not order the paint and never would.
We just have the rear camera and it is ok but find it small and little difficult to see in certain conditions.
The power cord is a wonderful "Idea" but our's is very flimsy and the chain is very prone to jumping off if you apply too much strain to unit.
We love, love, the InCommand system.
We would not give up our Progressive EMS for a leap of faith to some cheap on board system Keystone might add on.

So, for us, if we ordered again it would be best if we could pick and choose options for an individual add on price.
Thanks for that info! Reading the specs provided by mootana on the Surge Suppression by Keystone, it is a Progressive product and compares to the EMS very well. I'm leaning towards that Legacy package more now. Why are you opposed to the paint job? My dealer offers a Duratain coating which has a warranty of five years but costs $2200. Your thoughts?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Thanks for that info! Reading the specs provided by mootana on the Surge Suppression by Keystone, it is a Progressive product and compares to the EMS very well. I'm leaning towards that Legacy package more now. Why are you opposed to the paint job? My dealer offers a Duratain coating which has a warranty of five years but costs $2200. Your thoughts?
$2200.00 for an RV Paint Job (Which Out) get ready to run. oh , I see now 5 years.
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Full paint, to me, is a waste of money. It is an option for the legacy and I would not do it.
But regardless, make sure that you have the disc brakes....i think some came without disc brakes and Montana can change at any time the specs.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
We have no real experience with full body paint on an rv but as with our vehicles it is impossible to keep them chip free and with pulling the 5er behind the truck I can only imaging the chipping will be alot worse. Also many of those on this forum with real experience don't seem to be all that pleased. Personal preference though.

Add ons, extra coatings and of course any company can offer a guarantee they may or may not stand behind? Again not too convinced of real value there in my mind anyway.

Good luck with your purchase.
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We can not comment on the full body paint on the newer Montana's. We have the 2013 3402 Big sky.It was not called the legacy package then but that is what it is now. The full body paint although pretty is a cheap paint job that is very thin and chip's very easy. I would not have purchased it had we known.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
We have a 2015 3440RL Legacy Edition, we love it it has everything we wanted on the trailer. You are the one that needs to be comfortable with your purchase. When it comes to $$ on this board, I guess its no ones business but yours.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
At the dealer I mentioned the full body paint to one of the techs. He said everybody loves it until that first chip or scratch.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
I settled on Legacy package, no paint. Added 200w solar panel and swapped 12v batteries for 6v. We look forward to traveling in it!

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
2020 Montana Legacy Package

Don't forget the rear end cap that dresses up the rig. Additionally, the Legacy has the inCommand Bluetooth panel control system. With it, you can control many functions and features via a Touch Panel. Including HVAC, Awnings, Slides, Hydraulic Levelers, water heater, lights, plus a readout of tank levels and battery voltage. If you have a smartphone you can download a free inCommmand App - try it. Take a look.
Also, the Legacy includes 3 cameras: both sides and rear to make backing easier and safer. Then there is the Generator Prep which has controls on the touch panel and smartphone.
I must say the disk brakes alone are worth it. They work perfectly and we are very happy as my wife also drives and loves the smooth faster, safer stops with the disk brakes.
We have bright LED lights under the steps, over the hitch and along the underside where we hook up the sewer - very nice for nighttime arrivals. We also love the motion sensing lights at the stairs, in the closets, basement, and compartments. I like the built-in cord reel that retracts with the touch of a button.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #19
Bridge4d
Established Member

M.O.C. #21290
The power reel is more trouble than it's worth. The chain will jump off the sprocket...multiple times. When it does all you can do is wind it up by hand and inch at a time. The only way to fix it is to remove the entire assembly which requires removing the side skirt which is a PITA. I'm going to remove mine altogether and just use the empty space to store a 50amp cord the old fashion way.

2022 3761FL Legacy
2022 F450 Dually
Bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We purchased the manual cord reel at the National rally years ago. It is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. We had a shop put bedliner on the lower front of the 3402 since the paint was very thin and after a couple of long road trips it looked like someone shot it with buckshot.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote