Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Very upset with Keystone

Back in May we had mishap with rig separating back cap from side. Took it back to dealer where we purchased it for the repairs. It took dealer 6 weeks to order parts. Bottom line it was more than 3 months before repair was done.

We got it home and realized our steps had been replaced with a lesser quaility set. No reason to change our steps as damage was nowhere near them. New steps are not as stable and bottom step is 16 inches from ground. They appear to be steps made for a travel trailer and not a fifthwheel. We called the dealer. They said the technician made a mistake and put those steps on ours by mistake. They were meant for unit next to us. Why were we not told this when we picked our Montana up? Did they think they could just pull a fast one and we not notice?

So, where was the techs head taking good steps off and what did he use for the unit that required new steps. We suspect our steps where damaged somehow when they moved the rig around. They told us we could bring rig back and they would give us our steps back at no charge (big of them!). We have since had to buy a platform as it is very difficult getting in and out with the bottom step being so far off the ground.

We could not take to rig back to the dealer. We had a commitment to a project and had to leave in three days after finally getting our rig fixed. We were staying at our daughters and it is a 200 mile around trip to run up there to have them fix their mistake.

We wrote a letter to Keystone detaiing the dealers delays in ordering parts and doing the repairs for original problem. (We took unit to them 5/24, they ordered parts 7/2). Repairs were completed August 26. In the letter we complained about the steps. I asked that they call us. NO RESPONSE FROM KEYSTONE.

We waited about 3 weeks and called customer service. We were told this problem is between us and dealer, they don't get involved. We want good steps installed and arrangements made to take it in to a dealer close to where we are now traveling.

We like our Montana but are very disappointed in the dealer (will never take unit back to them for service) and Keystone. If this is typical of their customer service, we have bought our last Keystone product.

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would have to agree with Keystone on this one, sounds like you have a really lousy service department at your dealer. The service department was late on ordering the parts, then did uncalled for repairs, and you feel it is a Keystone issue?? If I were in your shoes, I would be talking directly to the dealer (owner), not anyone who works for him/her. If the service department messed up and is trying to hide or disguise their mistake, the dealer needs to know about it all personally. Just my opinion and I truly hope that everything works out for you.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
I 100% agree with the above. Your beef is with the dealership and its lousy service dept. Taking it up with the owner I believe would go a long way toward getting this issue resolved to your satisfaction. This is a buyers market for these rigs today. Knowing you are dissatisfied with the treatment you received and how powerful word of mouth can be detrimental to a business, I'm betting you'll come to a solution you can be satisfied with. What a fiasco. Good luck to you on this.
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
By all means, speak to the owner of the dealership. Their service department needs an overhaul. Keystone is not involved in this matter so we shouldn't get mad at them. Let the dealer's owner know you are unhappy and don't do it by letter, e-mail or phone call; do it in person so he/she can see you face-to-face.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We are fulltimers. We do various projects. We are now more than 900 miles from the dealer. You are right, we will call the dealer AGAIN. As we travel and have obligations to meet, we could not take more time off to return the rig to this dealer. We really do not want to deal with them again. We had already had to cancel from projects waiting for the original repairs.

We had hoped that Keystone would give us more guidance from customer service. Can someone tell me then what is the purpose of customer service? Is it just if there is a problem with the unit? Again, we were disappointed with them when they did not respond to our letter. They told us they received it and put it in a file. I would have expected them to call us even if it was just to tell us they could not give us any assistance.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
You are right in that Keystone could have called you and at least told you why they cannot dictate to dealers how they should treat customers. I think that the RV industry is different than automotive where some pressure can be put on auto dealers by the mfg. It all depends on the franchise agreement between the two.

Maybe a letter to a consumer advocate associated with Trailer Life or Highways with a cc to the dealer principle (owner) might do the trick. I would only send the letter if all other forms of communication with the owner fails. As a last resort you may want to include the State's Attorney's office in your cc.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
What ever happened to Good Service??

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I agree that this is between the dealer and you, your repairs were done because of damage done to it, not any fault of Keystone. Unfortunately Keystone has limited influence on dealers and how they operate
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Since you are so far from the dealer, why not give them a call and ask if they would work out an arrangement with a dealer closer to you to replace the steps?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Alright, I will be the bad guy here. Dosen't anyone think that Keystone should have some involvement here? If I was Keystone and one of my dealers is giving me a bad name,I would at least stay in contact with the dealer and customer to make sure that I don't lose 5 more sales due to bad service and maybe a bad reputation. Should'nt keystone have contact with this dealer,telling them we build a quality product and you are making us look bad? Keystone also knows it is a buyers market and you would think they would make sure the customer is happy.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

Alright, I will be the bad guy here. Dosen't anyone think that Keystone should have some involvement here? If I was Keystone and one of my dealers is giving me a bad name,I would at least stay in contact with the dealer and customer to make sure that I don't lose 5 more sales due to bad service and maybe a bad reputation. Should'nt keystone have contact with this dealer,telling them we build a quality product and you are making us look bad? Keystone also knows it is a buyers market and you would think they would make sure the customer is happy.
I agree 100% with you
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]Originally posted by Sinterior

[quote]Originally posted by racerjoe

They absolutly should. Sometimes one needs to communicate the problems to the proper person at Keystone.

Keystone can not become personally involved with the day to day issues with our units. They rely on the dealer to satisfy the consumer. When the deaker fails as this one has we need to bring it, in detial, to Keystones attention..After all Montrana is the #1 best selling 5th wheel on the market. Don't think the dealer would care to loose the line.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #13
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I also agree 100% It should be Keystone advocating for the purchaser when service has gone this wrong. Do they really want dealers putting out something like this. I also agree that if you contact the owner of the dealership he may make things right, but if he fails then Keystone needs to step in and help the purchaser. Keystone should have the tools to make sure dealers steps up to the plate in cases like this. Along with the dealer its Keystones reputation on the line here allowing this dealer to do business this way. Don't just give Keystone a pass on this.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Keystone is not totally off the hook in this one for sure. Certainly they should have acknowledged the letter and should have forwarded a copy of it to the servicing dealer expressing their CONCERNS!!! We realize there isn't a franchise agreements in place like the automobile industry buuuut Keystone, the #1 selling manufacturer, can withdraw their product at any time. They must remember it is the after sales service that helps dictate our future buying decisions and those dealers and manufacturers that ignore it will go by the wayside. IMHO Keystone should have a dealer rating system comprising of many factors, with the dealer clearly understanding that a customer satisfaction rating is attached to that and is part of whether one will CONTINUE as a Keystone dealer. They already do this with regards to selling volume and if you don't perform some other dealer will get a crack at the line so why isn't this done in the area of customer satisfaction!!! Wake up Keystone us consumers will dictate your future success!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
DarMar......well said...
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
AND IN A PERFECT WORLD!!!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Well, IMHO the factory really has not too much say as to what the dealer does or how he conduct his business. Yes they can keep a list of complaints and if real bad can pull the franchise from the dealer. I know when I was talking to Team Montana about the quality of the predelivery and service in general, TM asked me if I wanted to file a complaint againt the dealer and why. I feel that a letter has more weight then phone calls to the dealer, You will have it in writing and a letter has more weight then a phone call in resolving issues. Plus if any question arises you have documentation and no one can dispute it. Just my experience talking
bobfrommy selling dealer
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
These letters should also go to the local BBB. When they receive a complaint the company has to respond and sometimes it will get them to fix what is wrong before reponding to the BBB.......I strongly believe everyone should check with their local BBB before hiring any company........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

These letters should also go to the local BBB. When they receive a complaint the company has to respond and sometimes it will get them to fix what is wrong before reponding to the BBB.......I strongly believe everyone should check with their local BBB before hiring any company........
I do check, but the problem is to belong to the BBB, business owners must pay, and a lot of them don't. So a business might be a great place to deal with, but because they don't belong to the BBB, they aren't listed. Consequently, I don't know if they list bad businesses who don't belong or not.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I too would let Keystone know what is going on with one if THEIR dealers. A few instances like this could, in the long run, be very costly to Keystone. Surely Keystone could put some pressure on the dealer to take care of business...if they want to keep handling Keystone's business.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote